HMC #20 - Expressions - Mei, My Neighbor Totoro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2009
Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

Rofideo: Face expressions are done in zbrush. Any other motion, like the eyes, is done in max through a simple rig.

MattQ: Thanks! It's a pretty simple zbrush workflow. I start out with any low geometry shape(cube in this case), subdivide it twice, and push and pull with move brush until I get a nice looking base shape. I subdivide two more times and work on it some more with the standard/move brush. When it looks decent enough, I subdivide two or three more times and start working on the details using standard/dam standard brushes.. Once it starts looking the way I want it to, I begin retopologizing the model and eventually reproject it back to the highpoly zbrush model. Hopefully this answers your question.

Imageshack is giving me some problems today. Hopefully this upload was successful. Here's Scared ... drunk, angry and sad.

Last edited by d8D : 09 September 2009 at 03:59 AM.

06 June 2009
Here's Worried and confused. I took the original confused and spliced it in two

Four more to go

Last edited by d8D : 06 June 2009 at 05:18 PM.

06 June 2009
Surprised(more awestruck than scared surprised) and a new pleased. The first pleased looked more like enjoyment. Two more to go.

06 June 2009
Awesome work! Glad to see that you got enough time to finish. 2 more to go is great! Power through, lookin forward to seeing your final entry.

06 June 2009
Thanks TiMrozek. Glad to see you finished yours. Your rage looks great, although sad is still my favorite

06 June 2009
Thank You as well! Yeah, it's nice to finish something I started. Doesn't always happen. Yeah, Rage is fun but Sad just looks so odd and intense on this monkey. Hmm, not sure which of yours is my favorite. I love pleased, such a funny scheming pleased. Whatever is making her pleased has sinister roots.

06 June 2009
These are looking so amazing it's crazy. She is so expressive. i laughed the hardest at drunk, but so far tired is my favorite. Can't wait to see the last 2.

-Rage

06 June 2009
gah! i missed this thread for whatever reason....awesome work!! i love the miyazake film, and this
one really captures her.

amazing job!!

06 June 2009
RageOfAges: Thanks, and great job on your inner zombie. Man, everyone's finished, I feel as if I'm the only one left. thanks for your crits on pleased and confused, they helped a lot!

Gio Nakpil: Thank you, glad you liked them

Last edited by d8D : 09 September 2009 at 03:58 AM.

06 June 2009
I'm not sure you could've done this any better than you've done it. Stunning, looking forward to the last 2.

06 June 2009
Yeah, absolutely amazing work!

You nailed this one!

Great work!

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by d8D: Man, everyone's finished, I feel as if I'm the only one left.

Well, i have to finish as well, that makes two of us at least.

The last expressions are looking realy awesome by the way.

cheers.

06 June 2009
awesome finish - definitely my fav entry

06 June 2009
Lord McGoat: . Thanks!

StevenEgan: Thank you

JMART: Thanks. Haven't seen yours for a while. Looking forward to an update

Intervain: I'm flattered, thank you. But I'm not finished yet, two more to go

Here's "In Love" and silly.

Finished.... for now.. I might post two more that I want to get done and then decide which 15 to take home.. but for now, finished!

Anyway, It's been a lot of fun. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Last edited by d8D : 09 September 2009 at 03:57 AM.

06 June 2009
lol I can't count then I'm sure you'll finish in time though

Thread Closed share thread