HARDCORE MODELING!: 15 Expressions ONE Model: Rowan Atkinson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
HMC #20: 15 Expressions One Model: Rowan Atkinson

Wow, there are a lot of people participating in this one - must be a good topic!

Final Entry

Original Post_______________________________________________

I've been wanting to participate in a HMC for a while now, and this one seemed like it would be particularly educational for me. So here goes.

As my subject, I've chosen a favourite actor of mine, Rowan Atkinson. I've been collecting reference so far and have come up with this:

As my favourite character of his is Blackadder, I think I will eventually represent him as he looks in this role/at that age. Plus that way I can come up with some spiffy costumes if I have time (not sure how likely that is...).

I'll be working in Blender, with some ZBrush for sculpting, and my aim is to come up with each expression as a morph target (possibly with the help of a rig for the jaw/cheek area) so that I can create a quick animation of him morphing through each one in the end - that would look sweet.

No clue what expressions I'll do yet, but Rowan has plenty to choose from!

Anyway. Off to work!

Last edited by BertieRooster : 06 June 2009 at 10:22 AM.

05 May 2009
Good choice!!
-----------------------------------
HMC #20 - Expressions - Chimpanzee

05 May 2009
Great choice. Rowan is awesome

05 May 2009
yeah I love the guy [especially in Blackadder and his standups]! Gret choice!

05 May 2009
First WIP shot. Looking very rough so far - no plans on really going for the likeness until the whole head is there. Not liking the lips yet...

Last edited by BertieRooster : 05 May 2009 at 05:03 PM.

05 May 2009
Yes good choice. My first two choices were Rowan Atikinson and Jim Carrey as Count Olaf, but I decided to do somthing orighinal. Interester in seeing your edgeflow for the brow and cheeks and lips, and your gonna need alot of detail there for this guy.

MY HMC

05 May 2009
Decided to take a look at the topology, not trying to draw a full wire frame over the image - just trying to find where things flow and so forth - particularly over the cheekbone area at the moment. Rowan seems to have a lot of expression around that area, so I'm concerned about getting the topology right there.

And another WIP image: making progress on the likeness in profile view, front view is still not there. Still, a long way to go yet.

05 May 2009
More work, haven't done anything on the brows/forehead yet. I think that ought to help a lot once that stuff goes in. He has some very defined wrinkles across his forehead that should help a lot with the likeness.

Last edited by BertieRooster : 05 May 2009 at 11:00 PM.

05 May 2009
I love this challenge, everyone's picking great faces- lots of my faves too!
HMC #16- Bishop
HMC #19- Circe
HMC #20- Jensen Ackles

05 May 2009
nice choice! his facial expression can be more entertain then..

05 May 2009
Man what a cool face, I never thought of him. Nice progress too; you can already pick out his characteristics from even this early start on the mesh.

-RAge

05 May 2009
Added some work on the brow, eyes, and of course added ears! The ears dont look right just yet though.

05 May 2009
Making some more progress. The topology has gotten about as complex as I want it to get (maybe a little more, we'll see...). I think I've made some decent headway on the likeness as a result though:

Current goals:
- Break symmetry (which the lazy part of me finds very scary)
- Sculpt in some of the persistent details (moles, pores, the remaining prominent wrinkles)
- Start doing expressions and see where the topology needs fixing. Like I say there are a good number of poles ATM, and that doesn't bother me greatly, and I think for the most part they serve a purpose, it would be foolish to assume some of them won't cause problems and need moving.

05 May 2009
Great choice and very nice work on the head so far.

Cheers!

05 May 2009
Found some time to do a bit of sculpting, and after tearing my hair out trying to understand the zbrush -> blender pipeline for displacement maps, I seem to have worked it out:

Thread Closed share thread