HMC #20 Expressions - Rhesus Macaque

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
HMC #20 Expressions - Rhesus Macaque

*quick note - I just rearranged one of the sites where I was hosting a bunch of these images forgetting that I was using them here. So I just went through my entire WIP thread and tried to put the right images back with the right posts. So if something seems weird that is why.

I guess we're getting 2 monkeys. I have to say I'm a little jealous of Shin4. Chimps sure are very expressive. Seems like these rhesus fellows are just very serious all the time. Oh well, that's my project. This is my first HMC by the way. So I guess my goals are one-fold. Finish.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 06 June 2009 at 09:25 PM.

05 May 2009
Well, it isn't much but I figured I'd try to get the ball rolling on here with a WIP. Just starting to block in the base mesh. These things are covered with a good bit of fur as is obvious so I'm going to be using the skull a good bit as reference for guessing the shape of the face under all the hair.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 06 June 2009 at 09:16 PM.

05 May 2009
Originally Posted by TiMrozek: I guess we're getting 2 monkeys. I have to say I'm a little jealous of Shin4. Chimps sure are very expressive. Seems like these rhesus fellows are just very serious all the time. Oh well, that's my project. This is my first HMC by the way. So I guess my goals are one-fold. Finish.

Hi, monkey also very cute and have a lot of expressions. I am sure you can do it very well. By the way this is my first HMC also. :-)
-----------------------------------
HMC #20 - Expressions - Chimpanzee

05 May 2009
Ha, very cool reference. Thanks. Good luck to you as well, I think it should be fun doing something similar but different to someone else. Good luck on your first challenge too.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 06 June 2009 at 09:20 PM.

05 May 2009
nice to see this thread with something different.

have fun.

05 May 2009
Got a little bit done today. Hoping to mudbox soon.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 06 June 2009 at 09:17 PM.

05 May 2009
Nice start~

05 May 2009
I've been pretty busy the past few days so I haven't been able to do much. I should get a good chunk of time to work on this guy tomorrow. Next is the teeth and the ears. Oh ears, never fun but always fulfilling when done right. Here is where I am.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 06 June 2009 at 09:15 PM.

05 May 2009
hey it's looking nice. ears are pretty annoying and i usually just end up sculpting them out in zbrush from some simple shape, which just hurts me in the long run :(. also may i suggest creating a loop flow for the mouth like you have for the eyes and nose?

05 May 2009
Agigaherger: Thanks. Yeah, agreed on the loop flow for the mouth. I have a tiny tiny one going that needs to come out past the lips. Especially for how wide they can get their mouths open. Thanks for the heads up though, I probably wouldn't have changed that until it was at a point where it was really annoying to change that.

05 May 2009
Oh ears. Well, I just went ahead and finished the ears and added a better loop to the mouth.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 06 June 2009 at 09:18 PM.

05 May 2009
Thanks for your suport, I will changed my model a bit later. :-) Your work also looking good. I wish to see your update soon~

05 May 2009
really nice progress on the model so far - looking forward to more

05 May 2009
A little update. This is really my first time trying to do a head like this. I've done characters in the past but nothing great. So this is taking me a bit more time than I anticipated. Regardless, I'm really having fun with this project.

For this update, base mesh hasn't changed much, I have cleaned up my UV's so it's ready to be detailed in Mudbox (where I'm a bit of an amateur). I've also begun detailing the eyes, and I've added teeth and gums. Next is the tongue and I'll be about ready to roll. Still kind of shivering thinking about the hair. Ultimately this project is a great learning experience for me as almost everything is new to me.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 06 June 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Thread Closed share thread