80's cartoon Post Mortem: Tell us what you learned...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by WyattHarris:
1. Put more time in the planning stage. My "flying by the seat of my pants" workflow bit me in the butt again but like Rage said it's hard to not just jump right into the fun stuff.

5. I learned to not be afriad of giving it a try even if that try sucks. The next one will be even better and the practice is more important than the immediate result. Too many times I've phsyced myself out simply by stared at a blank canvas and thinking there's no way I could do it good enough. Maybe not the first or second attempt but if I keep at it it'll get better and better until it's how I want it.

This two things are key for me, and for what i see they are very comnon in general too.

Mostly your point five its very important imo. Its very important not to be afraid of bad results, in fact we shouldt see as bad results, but more like mistakes than in future oportunities we wont make, wich eventualy could end in very good results.

A lot of times i find that, more than the things we do, are very important the things we dont have to do. How do we know what not to do if we dont make those mistakes? because even undestanding very well what a guy say in a tutorial, is when you put your hands on it when the issues appear and solving them by yourself is the way to learn in depth. There is a set phrase that say that the mistakes are your friend. The key here is recognize them, and a strong autocritique about what we do. We shouldt compare ourselves with people who dont know nothing about 3d, and think that we are years ahead of them, we should compare with the best and see how much we can improve. Im saying this because when i was studying i saw a lot of people very proud of very mediocre stuff, and how much can you grow with that attitude?

Cheers.

04 April 2009
Very true statement. I agree, always compare your self to the best in that feild or its not worth competing. Now if we could just get Bay Raitt to come back and do more 3d

One face 12 experssions.

MY HMC

04 April 2009
One thing Iv learned is that Im much of an undefined person. I do have thouthands of ideas and when i came up with something i say: yeah, that would be great, it just happens to me that its never a sure thing. I do have a plan but I do not allways stick to it.

Other thing I had learned is that inorganic modelling is at times more hard for me than organic, its just im not that structured i think ... or something else i cant quite understand.

Other thing iv learned is just a little bit more of mental ray. I was used to use VRay at work, but mental is something i was using at home so this was a very nice way to stay close with it and try to understand it a little bit more in depth.

Last thing but not less important is that I got really burn on my flesh that there is a big difference about 32 or 64 bits systems. I almost cant quite render anything on a 32 bit systems, max seems to explode and close dramatically. Even using Vray and proxys there were times It crashed, so iv learned that even a simple laptop with a 64 bit system (what i used for this challenge) did made a difference when managing hard poly counts on memory.

Sincerelly
Leandro

04 April 2009
.If it's possible - thinking about "level of detail" while modeling;P
.Optimize meshes,collapse stacs just when I started to run out of FPS in viewport..
attached things display faster..
.Plan time so I know what i can roughly do ,so I can have some time for rendering purpose so that my render is as good I can make it..
Learned some tricks to push 2kk scene with some displacement through mental ray on 3gb ram 1.6/1.2k and 4 oversampling:P(nothing fancy but It kept crashing ..)
also ,when deadline comes you become faster and faster up to infinity;D

last thing - procedural/composite terrains and etc. can make big headache

well i didn't have enough time to think how to make great long grass areas on mental ray/max ,in that area vray seems better..

04 April 2009
What I learn

Don´t challenge WyattHarris in a charisma challenge (lol, a lot of people takes care of you, bacause you´re a nice person)

I like it a lot, many people sharing their skills, giving a hand when you ask for, full feedback. Is awesome! Then you find is a nice part in the day wen you see a guy/gal posting a coment or share their super secret stuff. Its like a family workshop.

Thanks everybody!

Well I learn to try it, Am shy cause you only see good works around, but every one is trying hard pushing for bether quality.

First time I try poly hair, its nice, just learned here.
Its one of the first times I use render pass, and must to considerate when you render a turnaround, Take about 10hours for 30 frames of occlusion
And many "little things" scouting in the forums Rage, Razor and Robo your´re a Cool Guys

See you.

Hey Roberto - 12 expresions could be nice

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by LMG: Other thing I had learned is that inorganic modelling is at times more hard for me than organic, its just im not that structured i think ... or something else i cant quite understand.

Last thing but not less important is that I got really burn on my flesh that there is a big difference about 32 or 64 bits systems. I almost cant quite render anything on a 32 bit systems, max seems to explode and close dramatically. Even using Vray and proxys there were times It crashed, so iv learned that even a simple laptop with a 64 bit system (what i used for this challenge) did made a difference when managing hard poly counts on memory.

Sincerelly
Leandro

First Industrial designers must say the same but viceversa

Second I agree with that My PC Usualy crash with soo many textures but in 64 Bits there is no problem. Sweeet

04 April 2009
Hummm.... what I learned... To remember to always check for non-manifold geometry. That I need more than 2 Gigs of RAM and in order to do so I need a new system lol yeah that'll work I also learned a few cool tips and tricks by looking at everyone's threads, specially the Maya folks since I still do most of my modeling in Lightwave.

But the absolutely best thing (not a thing I learned but more of an experience), being my first HCM challenge was meeting everyone, made a bunch of new friends whose skills and dedication are inspiring.

04 April 2009
I learned a lot about transpose & working with multiple subtools. I had a great time entering this one, it's a been a long time since I've worked on a full (human) figure & there's plenty of room for improvement!

One tiny thing I would add, I know it's all a bit of fun but for those who've picked themselves in the voting thread... you're not doing yourself or your work any favours!

Congrats & good luck to everyone who finished!

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by AJ: One tiny thing I would add, I know it's all a bit of fun but for those who've picked themselves in the voting thread... you're not doing yourself or your work any favours!

While most of me agrees with this statement, If they truly felt they deserve a vote in that category, then nothing wrong with that. Being critical of your own work is one of the hardest things for me. So someone who can efficiently look at their own piece (bias-free) and judge it to be the best in a category, I say hats off to them.

-Rage

04 April 2009
I don't know... voting for yourself to me its kinda weird... I don't condemn it tho. If my work is the best in any given category that's for others to decide in MHO...

04 April 2009
Like I said, I've got mixed feelings about it, but who are we to judge?? oh wait, I forgot. We ARE the judges

-Rage

04 April 2009
If it were anonymous voting, everyone would probably vote for themselves, then condemn self voting.

04 April 2009
I too found the voting for yourself to be very odd, maybe it's a cultural thing. I've never heard of this voting for yourself, I would never give myself an A+ when I was at school even tho' it was the best homework I ever produced.

Actually there was a time I had to mark myself during home economics, we all had to bring in pack-up and mine was abysmal, full fat coke, ham and cheese slices on white bread and a choc bar. It was supposed to be a healthy packed lunch! I did mark myself quite low as I remember...

Website
Life in Black and White

04 April 2009
My sentiments are - if you're work is good, people will tell you. If it needs to improve, people will tell you. If you say it's perfect, you'll cover your ears & won't hear anything.

*edit* - I've just re-read that and it sounds much more aggressive than I intended... I don't mind anyone voting for themselves, I just find it strange you'd enter a challenge to improve yourself and at the end go "Yep. I'm fantastic!"

Last edited by AJ : 04 April 2009 at 07:43 PM.

04 April 2009
Oh man, I didn't realize voting for myself was going to be so shunned X_X Sorry if what I did annoys people...

My standpoint on it was that I try to step back and really look at all the projects and try to rate them without as much bias is as humanly possible. I mean, when I started my project, I set out to make something a piece of art that I genuinely loved and I thought I accomplished that.

On the contrary, AJ, I'm actually extremely open to any and all comments and critiques and I STILL would love to hear them on my piece. I really want to make this piece as good as possible for my portfolio, so I would love to hear your guys' opinions. I've actually got some ideas that I might try out to improve the piece (have actual eyes instead of white planes, redo the rig and try to avoid some of the small issues I was having, getting normal maps finished, and put the colored tape on the weapon handles).

I actually was having troubles getting opinions critiques on my thread. My thread wasn't getting as much publicity as a lot of others so most of the opinions that I received were from my personal friends.

So again, sorry if voting for yourself is looked down upon, I was unaware and tried to make an honest opinion out of it :(

*edit* Woops, I forgot to add, I don't think any of the peices are "perfect" in this competition just because there isn't enough time in this mini challenge to really reach what I would consider a "perfect" peice. Though, PasKal's was pretty dang close, I love that peice

Last edited by profchaos354 : 04 April 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Thread Closed share thread