80's Cartoons - VOTE!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2009
FINAL ENTRY: Cobra HISS tank (functional interpretation)

Final entry: GI Joe Cobra HISS tank (original interpretation) (pimp my tank edition)

Artist: Jay Wilson

Beauty Render:

HIRES links HERE
HERE
and here!

ORTHOS:

Wireframes:

WIP LINK

same story for this as the regult I posted earlier, was actually modeling this for class w/out knowing about the challenge so not alot of WIP on it. Since someone already posted a really slick model of the actual toy, I figured I'd make this into a "Pimp my tank" version of it. (side note , please try to disregard the flipped tread sections on parts of it, they are a result of rigging issues I'm still trying to work out, as well as the pink panels on the underside, they were supposed to be a neon underbody glow but the lighting n my render washed it out and I lacked the time to correct it)

Thanks!! and good luck to all!!

Last edited by lucerro : 04 April 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: finalization

04 April 2009
~ Oops, gotta delete this one~

04 April 2009
Cool ThunderCats

THUNDERCATS

ARTIST NAME
  • JAN HASSE
BEAUTY RENDERORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERS

WIREFRAMESWIP THREADDESCRIPTION
Well this is my first time partipating with you guys it was awsome the process a to look everyone else work process. My piece is from the 80s cartoons the thundercats i wanted to do a piece all of them together with there unique stile and weapons. All was model with zbrush and 3d max, the beauty render was with mental ray. it was very challenge because i needed to render all of them alone because the file would be to big and machine could it crash, so i render all of them different layer and put them together. In zbrush i put them together it went up to 10millions polys it work really well, i give zbrush 10 , well hope you like the piece.

EXTRAS

Last edited by janhasse : 04 April 2009 at 06:21 AM.

04 April 2009
Macross Valkyrie VF1-S

Artist Name: Evert Krooswijk

Beauty render:

Orthographic Wireframes:

Well, this was my first entry in this (or any) 3D challenge. I really enjoyed it and got to hone my modelling skills and picked up a LOT of great tips from other contestants.

The Valkyrie is far from complete and i'll definitely keep on working on it, but for now... this is it.

Cheers

B-movie entry

04 April 2009
Final Entry

Artist name: Nathan Leigh

Concept:

Beauty render:

Larger Image Link:

Orthographic renders:

Wires:

WIP thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=208&t=746274

Description:

I re-designed Jake Rockwell from the centurions, I was trying to keep close to the original but tweak it to look more modern. I would've liked to texture it and model weapons but unfortunately I ran out of time. It was modelled in Maya and Zbrush and rendered in Maya. I had a great time with this challenge, best of luck to everyone!

04 April 2009
Original Interpretation: She-Ra Princess Of Power

Original Interpretation: She-Ra Princess of Power

ARTIST NAME:
Felix Lahme

ORIGINAL CONCEPT ART:
Posting just one reference image seems unfair to all the artists who contributed to my inspiration, so please look in the wip thread listed below for all my references.

BEAUTY RENDER:

HIREZ RENDER LINK

ZBRUSH BEAUTY ANGLE:

HIREZ ZB RENDER LINK

Here's a ZB Close-up for more detail:

ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERS

Front:

Back:

Right:

Left:

Top:

Bottom:
This one is basically an upskirt-shot, so for multiple reasons, I took the liberty to omit it.

WIREFRAME:

WIP THREAD
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...t=735356&page=1

SOFTWARE USED:
Maya with NEX & Syflex and numerous essential, freely down-loadable Mel-scripts and plug-ins, Mudbox, headus UVLayout, Mental Ray for Beauty and ZBrush for Matcap renders. Weathered Bronze Matcap by BGEN. Photoshop for the cover comp.

TIME:
I lost track, but it must easily be in excess of 100 to 150 hours.

DESCRIPTION:
My intention was to recreate She-Ra in her classic pose, as she might possibly appear in a live-action movie. This doesn't mean I was going for a photo-realistic replica with truly battle-ready outfit, but rather tried to put together a somewhat realistic model with a costume functional enough that it could actually be built by costumers and prop-artists and be relatively casually worn by an actress without imparing her ability to act. Also I tried to stay as true as possible to the challenge of modeling and hence everything you see in the renders, right down to the eyebrows and lashes (no PaintFX or Shave-Conversions) is modeled geometry. Only the body was sculpted after modeling a detailed base and except for the eyeballs, which have a rather crude iris-texture on them, the whole model has basic shaders applied only, no textures yet as I ran out of time. Hence I went for more of a cartoon-style render/statue look .

This has been great fun and a tremendous amount of outstanding work has been produced by all participants!

Cheers and congrats to everybody for their individual achievment!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 04 April 2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: broken image link, again!?!

04 April 2009
Name: Khurram. H. Alavi

Hi Resolution Image Link;
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/58...typassgoldm.jpg

Final Composite:

High Resolution Image Link:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7196/sherab.jpg

Orthographic Views:

WIP Thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...41&page=1&pp=15

Software USed: Zbrush, Photoshop

The idea here was to sculpt an original interpretation of She-Ra using all sorts of live and illusrtrated refereneces. I used Charlize theron's body structure and frame to give my heroine a slender, muscular and tall appearance. I also tried to add weight and logic to the armor design and connected it with the castle in the background form which She-Ra gets her powers.

Although this is a hard core modeling challenge my aim has been to focus more concept design and sculpting. My apologies for not focusing on topology.

Also am trying to comp out a proper textured image but does'nt look there will be enough time for that.

Loved the topic this time around!

Last edited by leviathon : 04 April 2009 at 09:10 AM.

04 April 2009
First of all thanks Roberto for the really needed extension, I really appreciate otherwise I wouldn't have a final entry.

Character Redesign: Ninja Turtles - Leonardo

Artist Name: George Evangelista

Description:

My goal for this challenge is to create my version of the Ninja Turtles. I would like to have explored through the concept stage a lot more and get deeper with the character, but since this is a modeling challenge I just have to go with the first thing I can conceptualize and generalise everything else.

Softwares Used: Maya 2008, Zbrush 3.1 and Headus UV Layout

My Concept Art:

My WIP:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=208&t=738036

Beauty Render:

Orthographic Renders:

Wires:

Thanks to everyone who commented on my thread and good luck with all the participants. I really enjoyed the challenge and it's a pleasure to do it with really motivated fellow artists.

Last edited by vshen : 04 April 2009 at 04:25 PM.

04 April 2009
Artist Name: AJ Jefferies

Concept Art:

Beauty Render:

High Res : http://moonjam.users.digital-crocus...our_1600_01.jpg

High Res : http://moonjam.users.digital-crocus...ble_1600_01.jpg

Orthographic Grabs:

Wire:

Wip Thread : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5777648

Description:

I like the idea that instead of a heroic, stalwart figure, years of space would have turned Ulysses into a maniacal shell of a man - desperate, haggard & beaten. So that's what I've attempted to do here.

Time spent 30 hours including messing about with renders.

Software used, Zbrush, 3ds Max 2008 & Vray.

Cheers!

AJ

Last edited by AJ : 04 April 2009 at 07:19 PM.

04 April 2009
Original Interpretation: Mumm-Ra On Steroids

Original Interpretation: Mumm-Ra On Steroids

ARTIST NAME
Robert Angol

CONCEPT ART

One I found online

BEAUTY RENDER

DETAIL

EARLY TEXTURE TEST

WIREFRAMES

ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERS

Back

Front

Right

Left

WIP THREAD
Mumm-Ra On Steroids

SOFTWARE USED:

3dsmax 2009 for polygon modelling of all assets except the particles from his wristband burn.
Mudbox2009 for sulpting the basemesh of mummra.
Photoshop Cs2 for texture tweaking and post work (dof, glow)

TIME: Approximatly 80 hours

DESCRIPTION: A Vfx based take on the cartoon, as if a live action film was being made and this was the climactic shot. I wanted to poly model as much as possible so the only sculpting that was done was on the detailed base mesh of Mumm-Ra. Everything else was pure polygon modelling. The cloth was positioned using standard polygon manipulation and some use of ripple modifyers. The eye of the sword was textured and bumped mapped in photoshop, over the top of some organic modelling to make it stand out.
The most difficult and weak part of the image is the shattered floor, which took up a whole day and a bit to create, Im far from happy with it. The scene is supposed to be where the villian has defeated the thundercats and reaches the Sword Of Omens which sees him and creates an energy vortex which starts to burn Mumm-Ra, you can see his wristband igniting. I would have liked to have done the stone getting super heated and molten under the sword, and Mumm-Ra's arm encased in flame with the skin flaying off but I was reaching the limit of my pc. File sizes were half a gig each, so I called it a day and rendered what I had.

I had lots of fun doing this challenge and met a few talented people in the process, I await the next challenge.

MY HMC

Last edited by Airflow : 04 April 2009 at 11:46 AM.

04 April 2009
Artist Name: Chris Beese

Beauty Render:

Orthographic:

Wip Thread : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=208&t=734741

Description:
I wanted to modernize Panthro and make him more savage. I didn't do any concept art for this one and just went with the flow, the design turned out well but with some concept would have been more directed from the start which would have helped. It is my first challenge and I enjoyed it and will continue to do them. I learned a lot and had fun. He's not finished but decided to throw a render up anyways.

04 April 2009
Cheetara - set 1

• ARTIST NAME : Wyatt Harris
  • ORIGINAL CONCEPT ART : No concept art, just random references I cobbled together.
  • BEAUTY RENDER :

Static

Posed

Environment

• ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERS :

Continued...
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 04 April 2009 at 08:10 PM.

04 April 2009
Cheetara - Set 2

• DETAIL RENDERS :

• WIREFRAMES :
Static

Bones

Environment

• WIP THREAD : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=735944
  • DESCRIPTION :
An original interpretation of Cheetara, the mistress of speed from the Thundercats. My goal in her appearance was to pay homage to her original uniform while giving her something a little more modern to sport around. This is by far the hardest project I've worked on to date. My main goal this time was to develop a pipeline between ZBrush and LightWave. Every piece is 100% sculpted in ZBrush and 100% modeled/rendered in Lightwave so I believe at long last I've finally figured it out, myth confirmed. The character consists of +30 separate objects. This created quite a challenge when trying to figure out her skeleton and how everything should be setup for animation. I've definitely learned that you can overdo the subtools.

That's enough from me, I hope you enjoy.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

04 April 2009
Hordak version entry

Artist Name: Juan Revilla.

Reference: images on the web from chapters of the serie.
and some draws i made.

Hordak version.

Beauty:

Front:

Back:

top:

side:

1600X800

beauty

front

back

side

Wires:

very short wip thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=208&t=751512

04 April 2009
That is that...

Ok I am setting now the voting page...

Great work guys.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 04 April 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Thread Closed share thread