HMC # 18 - Cutaway - Turbocharger

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2008
HMC # 18 - Cutaway - Turbocharger

See post #35 for final images

---Original Post---

So yeah....Turbos. Love em and want to model one Got plenty of reference for this already.

Here's the turbo that's currently on my car.

cutaways

Micah
HCM #18 - Turbocharger

Last edited by MicahtheMartian : 02 February 2009 at 02:15 PM.

12 December 2008

HCM #18 - Turbocharger

12 December 2008
Yes! I love turbos as well, the cutaway looks great so far! Lets see some wires.

12 December 2008
sry: double post

12 December 2008
looks very cool!
but the compressorhousing is wrong. Your´s is completely axially symmetrical atm.
Whereas it should be more like a helical curve with a variable crosssection.

Cheers

12 December 2008
Originally Posted by 211er: looks very cool!
but the compressorhousing is wrong. Your´s is completely axially symmetrical atm.
Whereas it should be more like a helical curve with a variable crosssection.

Cheers

You are correct sir. Both housings are wrong at the moment.

Wire, as requested.

HCM #18 - Turbocharger

12 December 2008
Updated compressor housing.

Just need to do a little cutting

Mock center section(Impellers and bearings) Don't mind the housing, it's not the updated version above.

HCM #18 - Turbocharger

12 December 2008
Scratch that......reworking it:(
HCM #18 - Turbocharger

Last edited by MicahtheMartian : 12 December 2008 at 10:22 PM.

12 December 2008
Are you starting again, everything ??? but it looked good, especially the cut one with the eposed parts in it ( albeit that was the old housing ). You're doing well.

12 December 2008
Originally Posted by eyeayen: Are you starting again, everything ??? but it looked good, especially the cut one with the eposed parts in it ( albeit that was the old housing ). You're doing well.

No, not the whole thing. I'm working on the compressor outlet but having some trouble. I had posted pics but I'm not at all happy with it, so I took them down.
HCM #18 - Turbocharger

12 December 2008
Ok here we go......Just have to do the exhaust housing inlet and some other minor things. Then continue on to the CHRA.

HCM #18 - Turbocharger

Last edited by MicahtheMartian : 12 December 2008 at 08:05 PM.

12 December 2008
This is a fantastic entry, you've really picked a great subject here and you're making a brilliant job of modelling it, so easy to see each piece as there isn't loads and loads going on, coming on real well !

12 December 2008
I might be jumping the gun on your progress, but are you going to include the wastegate, oil inlets and water inlets as well? Excellent job on the compressor/exhaust turbines by the way =]

12 December 2008
Originally Posted by eyeayen: This is a fantastic entry, you've really picked a great subject here and you're making a brilliant job of modelling it, so easy to see each piece as there isn't loads and loads going on, coming on real well !

Wow, thanks so much my friend. I really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by TimCallaway: I might be jumping the gun on your progress, but are you going to include the wastegate, oil inlets and water inlets as well?

There is no internal wastegate, it's external on this design. I could build the uppipe/manifold and do a cutaway of a Tial. Excellent idea, thank you

As far as the cooling, this is an Oil-free turbocharger designed by MiTi. It uses Foil Air Bearings. Very interesting stuff here.....

Quote: MiTi has developed the world’s first completely oil-free turbocharger using compliant foil air bearings. The low powerloss of the lubricant and oil-free foil bearings overcomes turbolag associated with other bearing designs to increase engine responsiveness and efficiency. The oil-free design is environmentally preferred since it prevents contaminating engine oil from mixing with air entering the piston cylinders. This design helps reduce engine emissions especially during the cold startup phase. Premature bearing failures due to high speed and high operating temperatures are eliminated. Oil supply and scavenge lines are also eliminated resulting in simplified engine installation, reduced engine oil leak potential and lower parts count.

Originally Posted by TimCallaway: Excellent job on the compressor/exhaust turbines by the way =]

Thanks, I still might rework the impellers. I'm not totally happy but they could have turned out a lot worse.

Micah
HCM #18 - Turbocharger

Last edited by MicahtheMartian : 12 December 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Closed share thread