HMC 14 Heavy Metal : ED-209

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
HMC 14 Heavy Metal : ED-209

I chose to model the ED-209 from Robocop. Always liked it and wanted to model it for a long time. So i hope this HMC gives me the motivation I need to finish it.

Ref:

and heres my progress so far:

wires:

modeled and rendered in modo302

Cheers

04 April 2008
more progress:

cheers
HMC #14: ED-209 from Robocop

04 April 2008
not far to go then ..

good start, lots of small details to model. hope you have time to finish it

04 April 2008
well time could be of the essence here, but ill give my best.
Youre right, lots of details all over the place. Ill have to tackle most of them once i subdivide the mesh (e.g. all those holes and bolts on the armour)

cheers

04 April 2008
modelling steady:

Cheers

04 April 2008
good work .. i think the "toe's" need to be flatter at the sides. Yours look a bit too rounded.

otherwise its coming along nicely ...

04 April 2008
well,looks like you got a nice pace with this... (unlike me hehehe)
so far everything looks nice and solid man....make sure you don't lose the motivation

04 April 2008
@simjoy: youre right, ill change those toes when i get back to that area.
@stage-gr: thanks man. right now i have some time off before i have to start my thesis so my motivation is quite high to get things done before that.

some changes on the upper leg part:

seems like i overdid it a little with the elevating screw coz that thing produces hell of a lot polys when smoothed
cheers

04 April 2008
you could have 2 versions, one unsmoothed for a normal render ( no one will be able to tell that it isn't smooth from any kind of distance, then a smoothed version for an upclose render.

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by RageOfAges: you could have 2 versions, one unsmoothed for a normal render ( no one will be able to tell that it isn't smooth from any kind of distance, then a smoothed version for an upclose render.

its not that big of a problem. I have a pretty decent and up to date PC which should handle all those polys quite good.
But i ran into some weird issue with modo. so right now im hiding the elevating screw while modelling, to prevent my viewport from slowing down and render it with one subdivision. so im not really worried about it that much.
but thanks anyway.
Cheers

04 April 2008
Hey man looks really tight =)

no crits so far, keep it up.

04 April 2008
I find that modo slows down very quickly once you have a few subdivided objects in your scene. It is my favourite modeling ap though. But for a software that boasts its efficiencty, I find it cannot handle nearly as many polys as maya or xsi. The simplicity and intuitive nature of the tools, however, more than make up for that.

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by RageOfAges: I find that modo slows down very quickly once you have a few subdivided objects in your scene. It is my favourite modeling ap though. But for a software that boasts its efficiencty, I find it cannot handle nearly as many polys as maya or xsi. The simplicity and intuitive nature of the tools, however, more than make up for that.

exactly!

@Trenox: thanks man.

04 April 2008
started to add some detail to the leg armour.

cheers

04 April 2008
MMMMMUUUUFFFFFHHHHHHH!

ED-209 is a great character and this is already looking good. If I had more time spare I would have lept in with RobocopMK2...just imagine the pair of them having a punch up!

But yeah, best of luck!

Thread Closed share thread