HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning- Turtle Van

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2014
HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning- Turtle Van

Not entirely sure I'll have the time to complete this one, but what the hell, I wanted to give it a shot anyways, how could anyone pass up Saturday morning cartoons?!

I'm going to do the Turtle Van from the original animated TMNT series.
Found a few reference pics (not a ton of great ones) probably going to have to adjust and fudge a few things to make it look a little more operable, but should be fun.

08 August 2014
Got a start on this earlier this week. Still blocking out basic forms on the body. Wheels and tires are just about finished. It's still a little boxy for my taste, I might add some more curvature as I go.

08 August 2014
Kawabooga! itès pretty good for me!

08 August 2014
How fun! and it looks nice and cleaning modeling.

Secret Agent
KREOLA
Barlangis

08 August 2014
You've made my day dude! nice! I do have a question about the door handle though, is that opening above it supposed to be for the handle? could be the perspective but it doesnt seem like its over it.

08 August 2014
Thanks everyone!

INKMAN002 - Thanks for spotting that! I hadn't noticed it I'll find a middle point between the two for them to line up properly.

08 August 2014
Looking good.
This will depend on how much you want to implement. The side doors are sized differently than the original. That only matters because the doors opened down for the lower section and out for the upper and a mounted gun turret for a turtle to sit at was there.

Again, doesn't matter if you aren't going that far.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2014
Thank Wyatt!

I was unaware of the mechanics of the doors, I've been having a hell of a time finding decent reference that's not the size of a thumbnail when it comes to some of the details. I'll keep digging and adjust accordingly.

There seems to be a ton of different versions, both animated and real-life, maybe I'll do a mix of a few of them

Here's a little update with an adjusted door handle.

08 August 2014
Base on the Toy version, the door look to open quite a bit and use part of the side truck shell as joint.

08 August 2014
The first 5 episodes from the original series had the best quality and animation as it was one storyline. That would probably be your best.

Episode 4 is where Donatello builds the Turtle Van from Baxter Stockman's old gear. Might be your best bet.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2014
Oh Man...I am loving this!
Love the work on the roof bits and the disc at the front. Keep the updates coming.
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
awesome!!! if its not too much trouble could you post your references

08 August 2014
Thanks everyone

Wyatt - You're a life saver man! Thanks for the link, I was able to grab a ton of great snapshots of the interior from that.

INKMAN002 - Here's my reference images, I'll leave a link since it's a pretty big image.

http://i.imgur.com/PMj2YBs.jpg

There's a couple different versions of it, I'm doing kind of a mix of all of them.

Scote - I noticed that when I was hunting for images. Looks like the ones from the show open out and down like a "normal" door, I'll probably go that route.

Here's an update. Thanks to Wyatt's link, I was able to get some good interior reference and get a jump on that. I took a break on the exterior for the moment minus a couple of deails.

I'm also going to bring some of the gadgets up to date (nixing the 80's looking computer screens and telephone)

08 August 2014
Yeah, that is looking nice. You even added the roof hatch for the spring loaded turtle launcher.

Glad to help, after Batman or Looney Tunes this might be my most watched cartoon ever. Seems like it came on every day after school for years.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2014
Decided I'm going to add some turtles to this and make it a diorama.

Got a good start on the sculpt tonight!

reply share thread