HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2014
HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Hello all. First time I am jumping into the deep end on this. I figured I'd go for the challenge and mainly, I hope to learn a lot along the way.
Jayce and the wheeled warriors was one of my favorite shows. It was a French/North American animated TV show which was first broadcast in1985. It was produced by DIC Entertainmentand animated by the Japanese animation studios Sunrise, Shaft, Studio Giants, Studio Look and Swan Production.
I want to do a scene with Armed force and the Vehicle incarnation of Saw Boss in the midst of a tussle. Maybe, I can actually get around to doing Jayce himself. I am not sure how much I will be able to do in the time, So I will start off with Armed Force first and see how things go from there.

One of the things I realize is that there don't seem to be too many references save for going back and making many screen-shots. There are also, surprisingly, not very manyCG versions of any Wheeled-Warrior stuff out there. (At least from my first few searches) So it looks like I will be making lots of guess-work here and there. The shape of the vehicle is pretty simple. Armed force is like a cross between a jet-cockpit, a jacked-up moon-buggy and a back-hoe. So those are vehicles that I will be using for references.
I also see where I want to rethink the arm design a lot. So that Is something I am looking forward to tackling.

There is a 3D concept in the above image by Lecaiman over at blenderartists.org

I have started blocking in already. I will begin painting in details to see what works before heading into detailing the model.

I know I am going to have fun on this. if you guys have any feedback, it would be MUCH appreci-loved.
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
These were some of the best toys growing up, lots of really detailed parts.

Just got a look at your portfolio. You have some great pieces.
Good luck with the challenge.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2014
Man..I wish I had these toys back then...heck, I wish I had them now. Would make great reference material.

Thanks for dropping by Wyatt. I am going to need all the luck I can get. I hope I can do this some justice.
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
Ok. So i foun time today to work on armed Force. i figure the body won't be that difficult...So let me get the real nitty gritty stuff out of the way...Like...the suspension.
Now the suspension is non-existent in the cartoon and the wheels are directly bolted to the body. However, that would clearly never work in real life. Seeing how hard Armed Force gets driven around, I immediately began thinking Big Beefy baja-truck suspension.

Then I got around to blocking in and doing some detailing

However...here is where I had a dilema: While the suspension looks cool...I am not sure that it "fits" the overall "Syd-mead-ish" styling of the vehicle. It kind of sticks out. Also, space vehicles like the Lunar Rovers don't really use springs. I am going to GUESS..That perhaps having gas-struts in space may not be ideal as pressure differences may cause them to explode??? I am probably over thinking this...But...Armed Force gets used in places like outer space AND on earth-like planets.

So I came up with this:

It is a simpler design and I feet it "fits" better with the overall style. It's a kind of self-contained leg-kinda-deal that would probably have motors and dampners in the joints. I dunno how much sense that would make.

Here is where some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Would the Baja-style suspension be better or the simple suspension-thingie-O?
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
If you look at that first picture you posted you can just see a bit of suspension under the front end all brown. So that will need some 2D to 3D magic.

I like your re-engineered suspension. Reminds me of the back tire on a motocross bike with an additional hinge but you could make that work. Mount the springs so they go straight up into the body.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2014
Thanks Wyatt
I think that would be perfect! Was wondering where I would put a spring, that never occurred to me.

Gonna snap to it!
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
Glad I had some time over the past two days. Got some more detail worked out on the suspension (version 2) and began doing work on the body...All while finding episodes to watch on the internets. So far, I have not been able to find a good reference for the wheel-hub / rim from the series. Not too happy with the way the toy has it setup, So I will keep looking for a reference for that even though I put in a placeholder.

In the mean-while...updates:

PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
So I went all out for the weekend and set about putting all the detail bits in. I will mirror most of the stuff to the other side, then begin work on the cockpit interior. Here's a look at where I am so far:

Would like to hear some feedback about the progress thus far. Cheers
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
Silly me, I'm looking at the first image not realizing these are a progression. Your whole wheel hub section looks much better than the original. I remember these things making a buzzing sound when they rolled over the floor, lol.

Really good detail work so far. This would be a good design for Sophia from 'Blaster Master' too.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2014
Cool modeling and cool render. What renderer do you use and materiel?

08 August 2014
Thanks Wyatt...I am trying to make this mix between the toy and the cartoon while giving it also a touch of the futuristic and less boxy 80's styling. Oh man...I can imagine the wheel sound of the toy just from the pictures. I had an annoying suitcase with ribbed wheels like that and it was atrocious walking through airports with it
Also, I can totally see Armed force and Sophia chilling

Thanks for the kind words Scote. I am using Vray to render and the material is just a basic Lambert with a sandy kinda color. I may not have time for lookdev at the end, but I think this works to showcase the model.
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
More updates...i think i'm pretty much finished....I want to put more stuff on the interior, but my computer is having fits with the file *sigh* So I'll get back to it later. Up next...Saw Boss. I still haven't worked out what exactly I am going to do with the two once they're done. Maybe a kind of diorama? That is IF I even have time. IF I have extra extra time...I can put Jayce in Armed Force...That would be nice :3
In the mean while. Here is the latest on Armed force

Would like some feedback on what you guys think, and if there's anything I could do to make it better. K Thanks
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
Thats really cool man!
I don't have any crist, keep up.

08 August 2014
Thanks PKT.

I'm sure I'll do some tweaking here and there still.

Also...Adding the references for SawBoss. I realized quickly that While it looks cool on screen as a cartoon, in a more realistic setting, SawBoss's Saw-Trooper form would be kinda...well... Silly:

Sorry, had to do it. I began blocking him out and realized what he really looked like . XD Yes, I had fun making that really bad photoshop XD

Here are a few refs I am working with. I really, personally, dislike the toy version. They don't seem to say "SawBoss" to me at all, especially after re-watching episodes. (Sidenote: SawBoss is a lot bigger than the Saw-troopers and does not have the orange lines on the "face")

Yes, my sketches are messy as heck. Mostly because I am not certain of what details I want to put in until I actually start modelling. Here is a block-in of what I've got so far in terms of doing a bit of redesigning:

Also...another messy sketch...but this is what I can probably have at the end:

I want it to be intense and dynamic. Armed Force having the canopy shattered while ripping the Saw-blade off SawBoss. Now the shattered glass will depend on whether or not I have time to drop jayce in there. *fingers crossed*

Feedback welcome
PlanetRider
Wraith

08 August 2014
Been getting side-tracked the last few days. I went all out in one afternoon and got just this far :/
I am doing the Tank-treads last as I would maybe like to rig them and have no idea how to do so properly *nervous laugh while looking shiftily around room*
However, there is a first time for everything. I will cross that bridge when I get there. I want to get all the hardware on Sawboss done so I can get the organics aspect with the vines in place as well.
This is where i have gotten thus far:

Feedback would be most welcome
PlanetRider
Wraith

reply share thread