HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning - Rockos Modern LIfe

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #1
HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning - Rockos Modern LIfe

Hey Guys,
Really excited about this challenge as I've wanted to do a Rockos Modern Life Revamp for a while now. This will be a good way to force me to get it done. I can remember countless days of watching re-runs of this show and this timid, anxious wallaby will always be one of my hero's. I've created a Rough Layout for the design according to how I want the final piece to look.

Rocko's Modern Life and all related titles, logos and characters are trademarks of Viacom International Inc.

Last edited by ColbyJack : 09 September 2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Image Updates

Old 08 August 2014   #2
I did a little pre-vis layout work to get everything in to place and unify scale for the rest of the project. Now its time to start modeling

I also did some design work on his shoe.

Last edited by ColbyJack : 09 September 2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Image Updates

Old 08 August 2014   #3
I started Rocko's modeling phase by bringing in the pre-viz model to zbrush. From there I posed out the shapes of the body with zpheres, made it a polymesh 3D, and continued to tweak the proportions. I went back and forth between the outline MatCap and toy plastic until I got something I was comfortable with. I still need to Finish modeling the hands and body as well as go over the model with the Hpolish.

I Also played a little with the lighting and got some rudementary base shaders set up in my 3dsmax scene with Vray

Last edited by ColbyJack : 09 September 2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Image Updates

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Awesome work ColbyJack!..... Got the face bang on! Can't wait to see more progress!

Wip= Character study "Varaha"

Old 08 August 2014   #5
Hi,
Looks like it's a nice start. and I look forward to see one of my favorite cartoon character come to life. Just out of curiosity, what is the story behind the frame you are making?

Best regards,

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Hey,
Thanks for the support! The Story that I'm trying to tell is about Spunky. Rocko's neighbor, Mr. Bighead's shadow is peering in through the window because Spunky has gotten into his salmon bush's again. Any feedback people could give to get that point across a little better would be appreciated. I'm thinking some slobber leading up to the salmon on the ground and dripping from the dogs mouth as well as some dirt smudges coming from off screen and onto spunky to make him a little dirty. I was hoping that theses subtleties would be enough to sell the story but I might need to rethink as the piece progress's

Old 08 August 2014   #7
I see, thanks for the explanation.
I guess clearer silhouette of Mr. Big head would def. help down the line and also Rocko's reaction will play huge role in selling the story imho.
Keep it up.

Best,

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Finished some of the base mesh modeling for Rocko. Laid out a quick template in marvelous Designer and used a base mesh model of rocko for my avatar. Ran a simulation and got the cloth a majority of the way there. Took it back into Zbrush to finalize and give it some better topology. I was also able to flesh out Rocko's sweet kicks pretty quickly with the slice tool and some pushing/polishing. I also used shadowbox to make the wallaby logo. Time to move on to Spunky!

Last edited by ColbyJack : 09 September 2014 at 06:20 PM.

Old 08 August 2014   #9
Oh wow...this is looking great. LOVE the work on the shoes as well. I was just wondering, his arms seem a bit too long. I would bring the elbows up a tad.
Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing more.
PlanetRider
Wraith

Old 08 August 2014   #10
I didn't realize what I was looking at at first. (Didn't read either obviously) Now I see that's a clothing pattern. Great job putting all the pieces together, this is turning out great.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09 September 2014   #11
Thanks for the Feedback CS1 your totally right. He is a wallaby so his arms should be shorter.
Wyatt, Im new to Marvelous Designer and its a very different way of working. Very reminiscent of real cloth patterns so it was a little weird for me as I don't really sew. Don't see too many patterns in the CG world.

I made some good progress on spunky. I was looking at ref of bull terriers as that's what kind of dog he is but I since reverted back to more of a cartoon feel becasue the flat head wasn't translating very well. I've fleshed out base mesh's and topology for the random assets I needed. Xrefed in to 3dsmax and am now going to start posing Rocko so he has more dimension. It seems to me that both the characters need to be a bit wider with the heads as well.

Here is the current render so far

Old 09 September 2014   #12
Looking super, Colby! Bravo!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 09 September 2014   #13
Aww yeah. Spunky looks adorably derpy...as he should. Are you gonna put back the pink colored section on the inside of Rocko's mouth? I really liked the way it looked in your earlier posts. It gave a nice separation and sense of depth to the mouth.
PlanetRider
Wraith

Old 09 September 2014   #14
Love it, Rocko was one of my favorite cartoons growing up.

I agree with CS1 about the mouth, I think the inner mouth color gives it a little more depth.

I know it's a modeling challenge, but for presentations sake, you may want to turn down your keylight on Rocko's face, that hotspot hitting his eye and bridge of his nose are kind of muddying up your details.

Spunky looks awesome!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 09 September 2014   #15

Ok a couple of FYI's
(if you post early I will mention it on the Voting thread)
Good luck,

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

reply share thread