HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning- TMNT

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #1
HCR MINI-Challenge #41: Heroes of Saturday Morning- TMNT

First time doing a challenge, Im excited...

Comments and crits are more than welcomed

Old 08 August 2014   #2
Nice Micky! I was hoping someone go for him.

As for your sculpt, i can only judge about the lack of geo interpolation on your pipes. The renderer didnt render the roundness of anything.

And the border of the tunnel should be even size. But maybe you don't try to match 100% the environnent

Last edited by Scote : 08 August 2014 at 06:37 PM.

Old 08 August 2014   #3
Thanks for the critique! Im going for as close as possible. I dont think i'll be able to match the camera angle however because its 2d. and I'll be adding my own spin on mikey... I always felt the old cartoons felt a bit rubbery.

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Good choice, I'll be watching this one.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2014   #5
A little more work on the background. Im still waiting for my wacom pen to come in the mail... 2 more days then i can really go to work on this thing.
Im going for the big brick look like in my reference, i kinda feel like ive gone overboard however. thoughts, opinions? I cant wait to start mikey!

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Hey Inkman002..... nice start!.... wow gotta start fast or am gonna be overwhelmed. A suggestion though. It would be better in my opinion, to set and freeze the camera, would be better to gauge the progress vis a vis the reference..... Cheers!

Wip= Character study "Varaha"

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Your bricks are way too big versus what you have as ref.

Old 08 August 2014   #8
I'm basing this off of the first ref and not the second one.

The bricks are way too big and it looks like they are supposed to be random cuts like stone and not uniform like bricks. Also, I think the pipe is supposed to be just that, a pipe, only the bottom portion is covered in muck. (That's pretty gross now that I think about it ) Notice how the surrounding bricks radiate out from the middle as though they are built in a circle. In yours the bricks start that way at the top and then flatten to parallel at the bottom.

Well its all open to interpretation of course. Good start, the weld joints look good.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2014   #9
Thanks so much for the critiques guys! Really helpful!

@WyattHarris "Well its all open to interpretation of course." lol yeah, but Id like to at least be 90% true to the reference... the camera angle and bad perspective makes it kinda hard though... Ive made the suggested changes about the brick size and entrance shape and for now im gonna put the background to the side until my pen gets here....

Tonight im gonna start mikey

Old 08 August 2014   #10
A quick update

No eyes lol :P

I do have a question, and its something ive always wrestled with... Which shoulder topology would be better for deformation?

Ive heard Pro's and cons for both sides that simply extruding your faces out of the torso is better for animation but modeling an actual shoulder is better for muscle edge flow.

Last edited by INKMAN002 : 08 August 2014 at 02:23 PM.

Old 08 August 2014   #11
Very cool for proportions, maybe a bit fat on the arm and legs versus your REF.

For the head topology, you should use edge loops around the mouth and the heads like on any standard 3D character you can find for animation

Old 08 August 2014   #12
Agree with Scote about the edge-loops around the mouth. Not having them may come back to bite you later. But looking good so far.
I love what you did with reworking the brick size. Also, I like that in the upper left hand corner, some of the bricks are jutting out or a bit twisted out from the wall. I think a few more wonky bricks like that (but don't over-do it) will really add to the whole grungy sewer look.
Looking forward to seeing this completed.
PlanetRider
Wraith

Old 08 August 2014   #13
Thanks guys, Ive made the suggestions about the mouth topology. My pen finally came! whooo... heres a small update, I redid the the tunnel entrance and roughed out where i plan on going with the final render.

Maybe kinda sick having the mice eating pizza... Idk... Might leave that part out lol

Old 08 August 2014   #14
Looking good.. Keep going.

MY HMC

Old 08 August 2014   #15
Oh cool, I like that idea. Thought you were sticking to the ref but that looks much funnier.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

reply share thread