HCR Mod# 40: Ancient Roman Sculpture: Winner!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2014
HCR Mod# 40: Ancient Roman Sculpture: Winner!

Ok here are the results:

Thanks to all who participated on our last mini challenge.
We will have a BIG challenge soon.

Ok here are the voting results:

BEST ENVIRONMENT: Nikolaos Maragkos
Nikolaos Maragkos - Temple of Apollo Hylates
This is my attempt to model the Roman Temple of Apollo Hylates at Courion, Cyprus.
The temple has only partially been restored, in reality. Very little reference exists on-line and I had some helping advice from an archaeologist friend of mine, in order to complete it.
It is not a very sophisticated model but this is my first attempt at modelling something complete. I used 3ds Max, V-Ray, and Photoshop.
I hope you like it.

BEST RENDER/BEST WIP /MOST ACCURATE - Daniel McGrath

Beauty Render (3D DOF + Minor Post)

Link to Hi-Res: Please click Me!! (for some reason the link is redirecting to photobucket. I have to close the tab and click link again. This then direct links to the hi-res image)

Turntable Animation

Wires - As the final mesh would be decimated I wasn't too concerned with my topology. I jumped between a Basemesh to a Dynamesh to several Zremesher meshes.
Nevertheless, here are the wires

This is the link to the Wip thread

Comments & Description

I have been on this site a long time, but this is my first time participating in the HMC. Although I could barely spare the time, and entered at a time when there were just under 2 weeks to submission, I felt compelled to take part, considering the theme. I am a complete Roman history nerd and just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I chose the Mercury bust as my subject because it fit my time constraints perfectly. Whilst still being a difficult sculpt and time-heavy render, I felt confident that I could reach the important goal of actually having a finished piece to submit.

This challenge was an eye-opener for me, and I feel I gained valuable experience in 'seeing' the forms more clearly when sculpting the deceptively difficult subtleties that make the work of the masters so beautiful and compelling. It can be so easy to get lost in wrinkles and aliens and monsters sometimes that I found it refreshing to sculpt in such a subtle way, even though the pressure was on.

Lastly, there are so many things that I am unhappy with: forms to resculpt....shaders to tweak....lighting to nudge around incrementally.....but I declare this FINISHED!

Windows crashes and overnight renders that failed aside, I really enjoyed this challenge.

Cheers.

BEST MODEL: Przem Sachar

my 3d model i`ve got from ancient roman architecture elements, in rome lion was important symbol like guard over the gates etc.
beauty render:

ortographics:

`unfortunatelly i lost wall element and whole sculpt-head&wall crash my zbrush...sorry

Legacy POST BELOW

Welcome to the latest round of the HCR Modeling mini challenge.

I have to say that I am extremely pleased with the quality of the outstanding models that have been produced and the incredible amount of entries.

So please take a moment and VOTE for your favorite piece.
You may read the rules of the mini challenge here:
HCR MINI-Challenge #40:Ancient Roman Sculpture -rules

Anyway, lets get on with the voting:
(The best model will be selected by an open vote for these categories)

Please vote for :
BEST WIP
BEST DIORAMA

BEST ENVIRONMENT
BEST RENDER
and
BEST MODEL

To vote, just post a REPLY to this thread with selections for each category.

NOTE TO ALL VOTERS:

The principal judging criteria to all voters should be
how well the model was sculpted.

The beauty render & the shading should NOT be the most important judging factors for the Best Overall Entry.

When judging keep in mind that Bump and Normal maps are acceptable modeling methods.
To view the entries Click the numbers besides their names

Please judge ALL the models to determine the best model

Here are the entries
(To view them, please click on the the name):

Good Luck!

-Roberto

ARTIST NAME

BEAUTY RENDER

HIREZ RENDER LINK (VOLUNTARY)

TURNTABLE ANIMATION (VOLUNTARY)

ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERS

WIREFRAMES

WIP THREAD

COMMENTS & DESCRIPTION

Thanks,

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 07 July 2014 at 12:58 PM.

04 April 2014
Daniel McGrath - 'Mercury Bust' (Ortho renders can be seen in the next post)

Beauty Render (3D DOF + Minor Post)

Link to Hi-Res: Please click Me!! (for some reason the link is redirecting to photobucket. I have to close the tab and click link again. This then direct links to the hi-res image)

Beauty Render - (Raw Render/No DOF)

Clay Render

Turntable Animation

Wires - As the final mesh would be decimated I wasn't too concerned with my topology. I jumped between a Basemesh to a Dynamesh to several Zremesher meshes.
Nevertheless, here are the wires

This is the link to the Wip thread

Comments & Description

I have been on this site a long time, but this is my first time participating in the HMC. Although I could barely spare the time, and entered at a time when there were just under 2 weeks to submission, I felt compelled to take part, considering the theme. I am a complete Roman history nerd and just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I chose the Mercury bust as my subject because it fit my time constraints perfectly. Whilst still being a difficult sculpt and time-heavy render, I felt confident that I could reach the important goal of actually having a finished piece to submit.

This challenge was an eye-opener for me, and I feel I gained valuable experience in 'seeing' the forms more clearly when sculpting the deceptively difficult subtleties that make the work of the masters so beautiful and compelling. It can be so easy to get lost in wrinkles and aliens and monsters sometimes that I found it refreshing to sculpt in such a subtle way, even though the pressure was on.

Lastly, there are so many things that I am unhappy with: forms to resculpt....shaders to tweak....lighting to nudge around incrementally.....but I declare this FINISHED!

Windows crashes and overnight renders that failed aside, I really enjoyed this challenge.

Cheers.

Last edited by musashidan : 05 May 2014 at 01:20 PM.

04 April 2014
Orthos:

Front

Back

Bottom

Right

Left

05 May 2014
Hardcore Modeling Challenge #40 entry (bust)

Name: Quinn Thompson
This is my first post ever, I'm not sure how to embed images, so here are links:

Beauty (front low res)
Beauty (back low res)
Beauty (front high res)
Beauty (back high res)

Turntable:

Orthographic front
Orthographic back
Orthographic left
Orthographic right
Orthographic top
Orthographic bottom

Wireframe

3D print

Description/comments:
I created an original bust not based on any particular Roman. I was going for someone important looking.
I paid no attention to topology in Zbrush, I used dynamesh, then decimated the whole thing to render it with Mental Ray/Maya. I did some very basic adjustment/compositing in Photoshop. I also 3D printed this on a Makerbot Replicator 5th Gen., print time was about 62 hours!

Last edited by Quinn-Thompson : 05 May 2014 at 01:37 AM.

05 May 2014
Nikolaos Maragkos - Temple of Apollo Hylates

This is my attempt to model the Roman Temple of Apollo Hylates at Courion, Cyprus.
The temple has only partially been restored, in reality. Very little reference exists on-line and I had some helping advice from an archaeologist friend of mine, in order to complete it.
It is not a very sophisticated model but this is my first attempt at modelling something complete. I used 3ds Max, V-Ray, and Photoshop.
I hope you like it.

Link to Hi-Res

Ortho views:

Close-up

Hi-Res

Last edited by Wondrland : 05 May 2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Minor corrections - content addition

05 May 2014
my 3d model i`ve got from ancient roman architecture elements, in rome lion was important symbol like guard over the gates etc.
beauty render:

ortographics:

wireframes:

`unfortunatelly i lost wall element and whole sculpt-head&wall crash my zbrush...sorry

05 May 2014
Best environment: Przem Sachar
Best render: Daniel McGrath - 'Mercury Bust'
Best model: Quinn Thompson

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by Quinn-Thompson: Best environment: Przem Sachar
Best render: Daniel McGrath - 'Mercury Bust'
Best model: Quinn Thompson

We entrants can vote for ourselves??

05 May 2014
no worry, every 1-3places we win

05 May 2014
Best Render - Daniel McGrath
Best Model - Przem Sachar

05 May 2014
thx,
musashidan - nice model & texture dirts looks v.realistic

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by looppy: thx,
musashidan - nice model & texture dirts looks v.realistic

Thanks looppy, nice job on your lion sculpt aswell.

05 May 2014
I vote for:

Best Render : Daniel McGrath
Best Model: Przem Sachar
Most Accurate: Daniel McGrath
Best Orthographic: Quinn Thompson
Best enviroment: Nikolaos Maragkos

Cheers to all who entered the Challange.

05 May 2014
BEST WIP - Daniel McGrath
BEST RENDER - Daniel McGrath
BEST MODEL - Daniel McGrath

06 June 2014
Ok I will tally the votes.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

reply share thread