Ok who needs more time?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #16
I'd say be about 70% sure before you commit yourself to a project. Spend a week or two R&D'ing for technology solutions and techniques, before leaping into a project - if you can. Its like training and then putting it to the test.

Some things you just cannot foresee and plan for, but good planning and training can give you back enough time on the project itself to deal with that unexpected 30% when it rears its ugly head. I didn't do any R&D nor planning for this HMC and it certainly shows!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 12 December 2013   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRazorsEdge
I could use a few more days. ZB has been giving me some massive trouble.

Its ironic that I have just started to get weirdness today in zbrush. First the mask is no longer showing itself, then I was getting sculpting artifacts. So had to export the mesh and rebuild in Mudbox. I may have to even skinwrap the mesh to a lowrez animated mesh in max to get the final pose. Fun and games.

MY HMC

Old 12 December 2013   #18
@scote: Good for you! Let's hope it stays that way.

@boone: You've got that one right! R&D is crucial. As far as techniques etc goes, it has been my experience though that nothing really proves or invalidates tech and workflow like production-pressure does. So my twist is to do that kind of stuff on the occasion of something like this HMC here, where it wont really matter that much at curtain-call if things end up going massively wrong here and there. To me personally, something like HMC is more or less training with a little pressure, which is a lot more effective than just doodling around on my own, since I tend to procrastinate and push things off unless I really have to pick stuff up asap. Took me since 3R5 to finally make the commitment and explore ZB's hardsurface tools. This HMC was the perfect opportunity to finally catch up.

@Airflow: I'm still getting a lot of crashes, but have finally been able to connect them to poly-grouping operations, like "GroupVisible" and even more so "Autogroups" and sometimes "Mirror&Weld". I'm getting other more random ones too but haven't been able to figure out yet what's causing them. For me ZB has been very stable when sculpting and painting, but polymodeling seems to stress it out, so it quits .... a lot. Depending on what I'm doing, I've been getting about 1-2 crashes per half-hour. Now that I'm warned, I'm saving right before every poly-grouping operation. Saved me a lot of time and head-ache since I started doing that, but occasionally I still forget and ... bam... "lets do that one over". "Quicksave" every 5 min or so really annoys me so I have it set to 15 min, which is still a groove-breaker, but better than having to repeat 30mins-1hour of work.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 12:44 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #19
Been doing a bit of HS in Zbrush too, retopo still needs work, but the poly edgeloop thing works good enough and you can still sculpt afterwards. Have to have another go when I have time. Mebbe a Bonaparte and some cyborgs eh?

MY HMC

Old 12 December 2013   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airflow
..... Mebbe a Bonaparte and some cyborgs eh?

Ya had to bring that one up, didn't ya!? lol Seriously, they're still in the pipe. I just haven't been able to get the face to where I really want it. Takes up a huge amount of time more or less working in circles. I work on it till I think it looks fine, let it sit a few days, look at it again and re-work it, then I render out in Maya or Max only to find it looks completely different than in Mudbox and repeat the cycle until I drop it once again for the time being. Manga is so tricky to get right in 3d. Plus, I'm still searching for the right method to do their funky hair.

Cheers!

Old 12 December 2013   #21
Tell me about it.

MY HMC

Old 12 December 2013   #22
Errr my pt Christmas job turned into a full time monster of a roll and has crushed all free time till Jan - Will be moving my project over to the W.I.P section as I want to finish my bad boy - some great work handed in - well done.

Old 12 December 2013   #23
It's a shame to lose you in the process. I will still look at your wip in the wip channel

Old 12 December 2013   #24

Old 12 December 2013   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread