Ok who needs more time?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Ok who needs more time?

If I get at leat 3people on board Ill grant more time.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2013   #2
I could use a few more days. ZB has been giving me some massive trouble while assembling the whole model into one ZTool with lots of crashing during the last few days and I've been loosing a lot of work and time, since Quicksave rarely picked up even close to where ZB crashed. I need to figure out which part is causing the issue, which shouldn't take too long, plus the final assembly into a presentable A-pose at the very least. I'll stay on it until you say "Time's up!" and if need be post a comp made from several ZB renders then. I'd prefer to go the "whole-model-one-render"-route though.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 10:26 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #3
I don't need more time. I plan to deliver in time this time

Deadline is crucial in the industry. Challenges are the same for me

Old 12 December 2013   #4
Ok guys, the Voting plug goes live ON Saturday morning. until then I ma NOT looking.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2013   #5
Plenty of time to wrap things up. Thanks a lot Roberto!

Cheers!

@ Scote: If this was an industry job, I'd get paid and I wouldn't be working on it in my spare time only. There's nothing to be gained here materially. As far as my understanding goes, HMC is primarily supposed to be fun and a learning experience where a few extra days don't hurt anybody. Anyways, you've got your pov, I've got mine. That's totally fine. Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Well your right Felix, I personally don't stop the fact I won't get pay for that challenge or any rewards. In life, if you don't respect dailies and you expect extension everytime, you can't really know how many time you can do a job in the giving time.

But you're right about fun and learning. Challenges can be a good learning platform. but it's a challenge so if you're in, you have to finish in time or you can be out.

Old 12 December 2013   #7
I think for some people on here deadlines are set in stone. For me tbh, I never ever have the time to update or finish. If it was not for four jobs going south in the space of a month, I would not have even got this far. Anyway its for fits and sniggles. So its fine by me.

MY HMC

Old 12 December 2013   #8
Oh deadlines aren't set in stone in the industry. Many time they push back the date. But its not well view be extended when the goal is a challenge to be made in a 2 months time. It's the goal of the hardcore modeling challenge.

Old 12 December 2013   #9
Well, I haven't really got any excuse other than the modelling part is mostly a hobby. I take more seriously to the programming'n'rigging part of 3D but do find the more artistic aspect of the modelling process a nice past time.

Taking part in these HMCs has given me a good idea of how fast a professional can model and to what standard. I'm guessing that in a real studio environment a signed off model would be completed in about...10 days? Yet here is me struggling to complete within two frigging months!

If nothing else, competing in an HMC is a good eye-opener!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 12 December 2013   #10
Well a good modeler can finish in one week lol. My past teacher can model and texture in 2 week (Steve Jubinville). I'm pretty sure it's a standard. But some Are quick and good other good and slow. In the final, the fastest find jobs.

Old 12 December 2013   #11
According to my experience, depending on the complexity of the model, an average cinematic character with all props and costume may take somewhere between and beyond 100-200 hours of work to finish, when working from scratch. That's without any kit-bashing etc. Squeeze that into 10-14 days and you'll be wearing yourself out very quickly, as many of our colleagues do. That has nothing to do with being "good" and is equally nothing to glorify, in my opinion, since it supports an industry where the artist has mostly become a totally expendable resource. If one drops "dead", he/she is briskly replaced by a new one to wear out or the boss outsources to "modern-slave-labor" countries.

Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, this is supposed to be fun and learning. Learning and trying out new things takes more time than flat-out working in established ways. To me the previous is what HMC is about, not some bland, on-the-spot deadline-adherence. You'll be getting enough of that strict deadline crap at work, which is generally pretty one-sided to begin with, since they're a usually a lot more lax on whether or not they decide to pay you on time. I agree that deadlines are important, but some flexibility, as usually practiced by Roberto, keeps this on the fun side and that's what I feel is important. If this had been a job, I would have worked in Max and had been done with it a long time ago.

Anyways, how many new techniques and workflows have you tried in this challenge, Samuel? How many new things have you learned, how many new techniques and workflows adopted or discarded? How many new programs have you tried? Are you walking away from this with a substantial loot of new techniques and wealth of experiences that will substantially make you a better artist? Or did you "just" work in established ways? There's nothing wrong with the latter, if you're trying to improve your speed. But having gone through the trial and error of new ways however, you will massively improve your overall capabilities and qualifications way beyond the usefulness of speed alone. And that's to me, what HMC has been about ever since I started participating way back. I'm not doing this to "win" some bragging rights, but to better myself and grow as an artist beyond the current status-quo, and that should be, above all, fun!

Anyways, this one has been a lot of fun indeed and I'm walking away with a whole new and massively expanded understanding of ZBrush, which was the goal to begin with. Of course this has taken a toll on speed, but that's totally irrelevant, imho. So regardless of whether I'll be posting a result on Friday evening, I've already won more than a peer-voting can ever give me.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #12
Agreed. While I was doing my entry, I was relearning Maya with another project. I have learned a few things in zbrush also. I really wanted to do hard surface modelling in it though.

MY HMC

Old 12 December 2013   #13
A challenge for me is not the place to test things. You have (again) a deadline and experiment new techniques can cause you problem to deliver in time. Or you get a problem that know one will get and no one get fix, so you need to redo stuff. Again no time to lose.

If we have 2 months for a challenge and many of us, use free time for a challenge, we don't have the luxury to get technical problems that we don't know how to fix.

If I want to learn new softwares, techniques I work on a personal project with no deadline. Like right now, I start learning Rhino.

But Hey, it's a personal opinion on the subject and even if everyone don't see a challenge like I do, well to bad. But I still think like that.

Old 12 December 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Scote: A challenge for me is not the place to test things. You have (again) a deadline and experiment new techniques can cause you problem to deliver in time. Or you get a problem that know one will get and no one get fix, so you need to redo stuff. Again no time to lose.

If we have 2 months for a challenge and many of us, use free time for a challenge, we don't have the luxury to get technical problems that we don't know how to fix.

If I want to learn new softwares, techniques I work on a personal project with no deadline. Like right now, I start learning Rhino.

But Hey, it's a personal opinion on the subject and even if everyone don't see a challenge like I do, well to bad. But I still think like that.

So in other words, you didn't learn a single new thing. Well, that's too bad ...
But to each his own.

Cheers!

PS: I hope your current/future employers are/will be as strict about deadline as you are when it comes to paying you.

Old 12 December 2013   #15
Yah never get unpaid for now lol

Thread Closed share thread