HCR # 39 - Giant Monsters/Giant Robots:PATLABOR-Alphonse v Hookhead

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Hi guys. Definatly an update tonight. Will block out the sea and the rest of Hookhead using bones. Will try to do a mini tut. And also from now on my mud box/zbrush will be screen captured. Cheers.

MY HMC

10 October 2013
UPDATE

The leg was looking crap so I've spent the evening redoing it, this time relying more on side-view reference. I'm considering using this model for animation as the first Patlabor movie was an eye opener when I first saw it on BBC2 back in the late 90s. Funky music as well!

Currently working on...HCR #42

10 October 2013
Updates. Will explain later, gotta go into work to finish a shot. It does not stop does it.

MY HMC

10 October 2013
Rob, don't worry as we have two months to get it done. Besides your updates so far are pretty good.

However, just as a precaution, if you could produce a concept sketch of Hookie from the front and side, then that would give me reference to produce a back-up model just in case you have to bail out again. Professional work is demanding and often unexpected, so I do understand the pressure you're under. With well scaled concept from those angles I can at least carry the torch when the chips are down.

LOL, I feel a bit like Eomir in The Two Towers...

Gandalf: "Robert, Head of Threedee, stands alone..."

Eomir: "Not alone...TO THE HEAD OF THREEE-DEEEEEE!"

...don't worry, Rob, I won't turn up at your work with an army of Blender-Heads, on Horse back.

10 October 2013
Why not. We demand the Rob. We will not leave until the concepts are taken from his cold hands...

MY HMC

10 October 2013
The next update will be a little late I'm afraid due to a strange bug I'm experiencing in Silo. Not sure what the devil is causing it but suddenly selecting certain vertices causes all the geometry, grid and background images to disappear entirely. Nearly shit a brick for a moment because I thought my file was corrupted, but thanks to the auto-saves I'm merely stalled and not having to start from scratch...

I might have to revert to another package for this low-poly work - probably Blender - if the problem persists...

10 October 2013
Sorry to hear that. Why not a demo of 3dsmax?

MY HMC

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Airflow: Sorry to hear that. Why not a demo of 3dsmax?

Good question. Its mainly to do with the support from the BlenderArtist community: as "fanatical" as many would claim they are, they are "Johnny on the spot" with helpful replies. Sometimes I will get a response within five minutes of posting.

Anyway, it seems to me that Silo has difficulty with managing too many objects in a scene, and one must take extra care when switching between object and edit mode when faced with multiple objects. The last HMC I was mainly dealing with a single mesh so I never ran into this problem, but I do remember the teeth - being separate objects - floating outside the mouth for some strange and bizarre reason...

Business as usual now, but I just have to tread carefully when dealing with multiple objects.

10 October 2013
UPDATE

Bit of a day, but here is an update. I'm going to go upwards with the idea of "refuse to work backwards". I shall also be backing up the scene files as I go along. I was lucky this time, but you never can tell...

Last edited by Boone : 10 October 2013 at 10:57 PM.

10 October 2013
UPDATE

Spent some time doing house keeping, so some objects have been merged and everything is now renamed and fully backed up. Also, I am taking a leaf out of Scote's book by marking in green areas that have been edited.

10 October 2013
Nice update buddy

10 October 2013
Scote, I think you started something here mate. Although I will go with Discreet/Pixologic colors. Will try to get something done tonight. Like an arm. Anyway good work Boone.

MY HMC

10 October 2013
UPDATE!

The green parts of the leg are now a single mesh, whilst working on the pelvis.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

10 October 2013
Small Update...
Finished the body basemesh using a Biped from Character Studio as a base. Converted it to a mesh, then cleaned it up and joined the bones together to form one contiguos mesh. Now the rig an the mesh share the same coordinate space, I dont have to fit anything to the mesh, I can skin or bind now and get posing. Or just start sculpting the base and either wrap the high mesh sculpt to the base mesh and skin that, or use disp. I will be retopoing to get an interim mesh to make things easier.

MY HMC

10 October 2013
It's coming along very nicely! Looking forward to seeing the two together in a first rough pre-vis.

Cheers!

Thread Closed share thread