HCR # 39 - Giant Monsters/Giant Robots: Gundam Seed - GAT-X105 or ZGMF-10A

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #31
Here's my update for the hands:

Overall, these are more or less the final version, since another sketch didn't make a lot of sense to me in this case. Looks like the thumb still needs some editing though. Don't think I'll be masochistic enough to pose the fingers in ZB. A quick rig in Maya/Max makes a lot more sense in the long run and seems a lot less painful, I'd say.

The 3rd/lower image is just an experiment playing with various alphas to see if something looks usable for visual interest, device/weapon interface connectors and grip-padding etc. Might try more of the same with different shapes, since there's not a lot I like in that particular test.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 11 November 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #32
Really good work on those hands!

I was about to post a WIP of the hands for my mecha, but now I think Im gonna wait until I add more detail hehe!

Old 11 November 2013   #33
Muchas gracias, Pablo!

After looking at the hands again last night, I felt that the proportions were way off, so I edited everything to the following state in the "base" form and added some Matcaps for visual separation of what I'm assuming to be different materials:

I'm guessing the white/lighter parts are armor-plating for protection and added durability when punching. From what I can gather the slim white part over the knuckles folds down partly when a fist is formed and protects/reinforces the underlying joints. If someone happens to know better and can assign some other function to these parts, please do let me know. More details will be added with the final global detailing pass.

Tell me what you think of the new "flat" version, guys!

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 11 November 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #34
Further into my exploration of ZBrush's hardsurface capabilties, I tried basic polymodeling for the wings. Here's the result, with wires for the "anti-Dynamesh"-folks: (RMB>View Image> +, for a larger view):

The upper image shows a single wing folded-in from two angles, the next one is the whole wing apparatus, without the thruster-backpack, in the extended position from the front and then the last one from the rear, still sans the wing-mounted railgun, which I'll add next. I'll also add more small detail later.

I was really surprised how efficient ZB is as a pure poly-modeler. It took some getting used to initially, but was a great experience overall and I rarely if ever felt the urge to step over into Max or Maya. Still, there is room for additional tools and other improvements, but neither Maya nor Max are perfect either. All shapes started as ZB primitives, mostly planes and boxes, and were then reshaped using the EdgeLoop-, PanelLoop-, Transpose-Move/Scale/Rotate-, TransposeExtrude&Flatten-, SliceCurve-, EdgeCreasing-, and DeformationSubPalette-tools etc, with the occasional application Move-Brush for tweaking here and there. The really tricky part was to figure out how this contraption is supposed to work mechanically and then translate that into the model.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 11 November 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #35
Great, is getting better and better.

When I see your work it very inspiring at the same experience to make.

Old 11 November 2013   #36
Thanks a lot for the kind words, Sebastian.

Practicing some more poly-modeling "strictly" in ZB, I added the low-poly version of the wing-mounted rail-gun (RMB>ViewImage> +, to enlarge):

The upper series shows the rail-gun folded in, with half of the wing removed to get a better view. The lower two views show the rail-gun rotated out into firing position. From what I can gather, the wings have to adjust their position as well in order for the gun to be aimed correctly.

For some reason this thing was a real bitch to make and it still needs some fixing of proportions and adjustment of some angles, I think. Hm, looking at it now, I think that particular Matcap doesn't seem to be particularly suitable for hard-surface. Looks kinda weird and appears to be washing out some details, plus there's some shading error going on. Gotta look into that.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 11 November 2013 at 10:14 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #37
I've been working all over the model hit&run-style recently, meaning to not lose time I'll switch to something else when I hit a roadblock, so I'll be posting images of bits & pieces when I think they're presentable enough.

Anyways, since Dynamesh files can get quite huge and much of that resolution won't be needed anyways, I'm literally re-building the sculpt from the ground up for precision's and file-efficiency's sake in case I do have the time for a render in Max/Vray. Here's the first image in the series to come: the re-built, base/low-poly foot.

I also added Zbrush's own DemoSoldier for a quick scale reference.

Most likely I'll be stepping into Max from time to time from here on for stuff like edge-bevels, cap-holes with quads and precise insets etc, which ZB is kind of awkward and time-consuming to use for.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 12:02 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #38
no way! you restart from zero? You should just qremesh for filesize

Old 12 December 2013   #39
lol I think you misunderstand what I mean. I'm not starting from scratch. I'll be presenting the results of my manual retopo to you guys quite literally "from the ground up" meaning, from the feet up to the head in sequence as I progress.

I personally find that QRemesher is great for more organic models or stuff that won't require precise topo and/or a smooth modifier for rendering, so it wont lose shape/volume through the latter. Manual re-topology gives me way more control over the end result, what features I want and which to get rid of, plus a cleaner mesh with support edges where I really want them, as well as generally a more economic poly count. It's quite a bit more time-consuming, but well worth the effort, I feel. Otherwise, I'd just decimate the sculpt and shoot it over to Max for rendering at a resolution suitable for the render. For hard-surface, that way is more accurate and efficient than ZRemesher, I'd say.

Anyways, stay tuned for more.

Cheers!

Old 12 December 2013   #40
Here's the more or less finished version of the foot:

From here on it's all upwards.

If I have time later once the whole model is finalized, I'll do an overall wear&tear sculpting pass.
Surprisingly I didn't have to step over into Max, yet.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #41
Working up from the inside to fill in areas that would otherwise indicate a set of empty shells (RMB>ViewImage> +, to enlarge):

I'll probably add some more pivot helper objects and joints later to make the posing process easier to complete in ZB if need be.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #42
Oh MY GOD! You're intense!

Old 12 December 2013   #43
details

Very methodical approach, I really like it, keep it up and you will have one magnificent model Looking forward to see more.

Old 12 December 2013   #44
Thanks guys!

I'm almost done with the lower leg. In the meantime here's a little bit more inner frame for the ankle/shin area to make sure there wont be any weird GI artifacts during rendering, since the armor consists of multiple parts/shells with openings for that area (RMB>ViewImage> +, to enlarge):

Will post more, as well as replies to your threads later.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #45
Here's the complete lower leg:

There are still a bunch of glitches to fix like smoothing errors on the armor plating and some bevels that are too hard etc, as well as some more greeble detail to add here and there, but that's more or less it.

Cheers!

PS: The "ZB exclusive"-string is over, btw. I finally had to step over into Maya to manually re-route some topo.

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 12 December 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Thread Closed share thread