HCR # 39 - Giant Monsters/Giant Robots: Gundam Seed - GAT-X105 or ZGMF-10A

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
HCR # 39 - Giant Monsters/Giant Robots: Gundam Seed - GAT-X105 or ZGMF-10A

This is just too much fun to pass over. Not sure if I'll really be able to put in the time, but I'll try my best.

As of now, I'm also still quite undecided which one of either GAT-X105 Strike ...

.... or ZGMF-10A Freedom ....

.... I should pick. For now I'm posting images for both. I'm kinda leaning more towards Strike right now though, but we'll see. I'm also having some difficulties finding some good high-res blueprints for Freedom. There's lots of high-res Strike Freedom, but only a few medium-res Freedom out there it seems, plenty for Strike though. So that's cool.

This should be a lot of fun. Good luck to everybody!

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 10 October 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
I like the detail in the Freedom model, but if you are worried about its lack of reference then go for the Strike instead.

Good luck with the challenge.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Thanks mate.

Yeah, I had picked Freedom first, but lack of detail references is always kind of an issue for me since I tend to work myself in circles adding/removing stuff like that on my own. Design work is really not my thing, or usually takes a lot of crazy time consuming back and forth. lol

I'm still looking what refs I can grab out there on the net, so maybe I'll find something decent enough to comfortably go ahead with Freedom. The design for Freedom is really neat and elegant, but Strike has that really cool more "industrial", powerful kind of feel to it, I think.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 10 October 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Looks cool. Can not wait.
I have thrown caution to the wind, just moved flat, redecorating, got daytime medical animation work and night time ocean vfx pitch, so I may as well use that knowledge to do this.
Anyway, will be nice to have someone to complain with/to who is in the same boat.

MY HMC

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Hey Robert, thanks for stopping by. So what's it gonna be for you, mate? Patlabor? Looking forward to your entry and wip's.

I was able to put a little time aside for this and decided to go ahead with the not-so-perfect tech-refs I have for Freedom. I can always switch over to Strike later if I get too sick of looking at massively pixelated orthos.

Here's my pre-Dynamesh silhouette block-in from Zspheres and AdaptiveSkin:

Next up will be a dynamesh-ed quick&dirty shape sculpt to establish all the necessary detail in a rough sculpt to create all the separate parts from later, including the wings.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 10 October 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Yeah, gonna be two Labors, vs a kaiju. The Labors are going to be Broken/Blocken and Dauphin. Gonna try Moi to do certain parts of the robots, zbrush for the others. There will also be sculpted water, so I will be making the upper body parts of the robots and creature... If I get the time.

MY HMC

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Originally Posted by Airflow: Looks cool. Can not wait.
I have thrown caution to the wind, just moved flat, redecorating, got daytime medical animation work and night time ocean vfx pitch, so I may as well use that knowledge to do this.
Anyway, will be nice to have someone to complain with/to who is in the same boat.

For moving house I can definitely sympathise. Lumber-jacking, mowing two large gardens with a poxy Flymo, changing surgeries, regular bonfires and many more shenanigans...

Still, looking forward to your entry, Rob.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Airflow: ..... gonna be two Labors, vs a kaiju. The Labors are going to be Broken/Blocken and Dauphin. .....

That's a rather full plate for someone who doesn't have any time, I'd say. lol
Anyways, see ya over in your thread.

Here's my first stage Dynamesh.

Very rough block-in of shapes to establish overall volumes with Move and Claytubes, lots of ClayPolish and finally slicing up the whole thing with SliceCurve and 'Dynamesh>Groups:on' to separate into smaller parts. It's still one subtool at this point.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 10 October 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Nice start.

MY HMC

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Wow, nice structure already blocked in. Looking good.

WIPS
HCR#30 PixarMashup

Old 10 October 2013   #11
We want to see Gundam in shape!! lol Come on Felix! Go Felix Go!

Old 10 October 2013   #12
Thanks, guys!

I'm about half-way through my 2nd stage Dynamesh block-in sculpting pass, so here's a little update:

I "refined" the separate pieces to the current, still rather rough state in Dynamesh mainly with Move, Flatten, ClayTubes, Pinch, CurveClip and MAH-Mech brushes and plenty of Claypolish etc. Its made up of lots of different subtools now. Next are the forearms, hands and legs. Then I'll tackle blocking in the wings and weapons, I think, before creating the final base geo from all these pieces.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 10 October 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #13
I was tempt by the Tomahawk model for the challenge. But not Heroic enought versus yours ! Cheers!

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Scote: I was tempt by the Tomahawk model for the challenge. But not Heroic enought versus yours ! Cheers!

There are so many heroic-looking Gundam designs out there, it's really just a matter of personal taste and preference as well as making up one's mind which one to pick. I chose this one more or less because of the symbolic meaning it carries and because both Strike and Freedom are my overall favorite designs from "Gundam: Seed". There are plenty more shows and designs to choose from. The variety in the Gundam-Universe is almost endless, since it's been going on for a few decades now. Just to give you an idea, here's another favorite of mine:

RX-178 MK-II Titans Version

Anyways, I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with this since the previous posting, but here's another quick update of what I've got right now:

Made some edits to the overall shapes, particularly the torso and finished sketching most of the arms and hands for this phase using the same ZB tools as mentioned in my previous post.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 10 October 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #15
Looking sexy, Felix. Its going to be super cool when done.

Thread Closed share thread