Giant Robots/Giant Monsters
Sculpt a robot/ creature, a diorama, or robot/ creature series.
Also know as Kaiju (怪獣, kaijū?) is a Japanese word that literally translates to "strange creature". However, the word kaiju has been translated and defined in English as "monster". Specifically, it is used to refer to a genre of tokusatsu entertainment. Kaiju films usually showcase monsters of any form attacking a major Japanese city or engaging another (or multiple) monsters in battle.
The most famous kaiju is Godzilla. Other notable kaiju include Gamera, Mothra, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla and Rodan. The term ultra-kaiju is longhand for kaiju in the Ultra Series.
Related terms include kaijū eiga (怪獣映画, kaijū eiga?, monster movie), a film featuring giant monsters or a single monster, kaijin (怪人?, referring to roughly humanoid monsters) and daikaiju (大怪獣, daikaijū?, giant kaiju), specifically meaning the larger variety of monsters.
Also Known as Mecha is a science fictiongenre that centers around robots or machines controlled by people from inside. These machines vary greatly in size, shape and appearance. Some are little more than cars with arms and legs, while others are giant humanoid constructs.
There are multiple ways to participate:
- Single Creature/ Robot :You can pick whatever creature you wish from the attached list at the end of this post.
- Diorama: You may sculpt the creature inside the appropriate environment.
Some diorama examples:
- Gipsy Danger inside the Shatterdome
- King Kong on top of the Empire State Building
- GodZilla vs MechaGodzilla in the Ruins of New York
- Creature Series:This type of entry requires you will try to do as many creatures as you can from an individual film.
- Some examples:
All the Evangelion Evas
- All the Jaegers in Pacific Rim
- Bust :This type of entry requires you will try to a bust of your favorite creature/ Robot.
You may sculpt an original Robot/Monster.
You may make a mean sculpt of Godzilla.
Sculpt one or more representations of Giant Robots/Giant Monsters 2 months The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible dateline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, and the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded/ rigged.
A big part of the challenge is that the modeler will have to scavenge all the reference for the film/anime/game models.
CAN YOU DO IT?
What is the HARDCORE MODELING CHALLENGE?
The idea of these HARDCORE MINI CHALLENGES is to push the modeling skills participants while learning from the past. To get past preconceptions of the limits of digital art. To push digital artists into the world of sculptors & artisans. But we will have variety on these mini challenges. Sometimes we will sculpt a model based on a masterpiece, but on other times we might do Jet fighter or a landmark....
The only thing that will be consistent is the SHORT DATELINES.
At the end of the challenge, the participant should have a finished collection of entries. Keep in mind contest of high difficulty you will have TWO MONTH2 to do the challenge, but the rewards, even if you don't win, will be your improved skills in speed and accuracy.
Detailed RESEARCH, and attention to detail are key for ALL entries. Please before doing an entry do your homework.
The best model will be selected by an open vote
for these categories:
- Most Accurate Creature Representation
- Best Diorama
- Best Render
- Best Creature Series
- Best Bust (if we have more than 2 entries in this cathegory)
- Highest Number of FINISHED models
- Best Overall Entries
designed by me.
NEW DATELINE! December, 9th 2013 st 12:00 PM
YOU HAVE TWO MONTHS do the challenge.
CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:
- No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
- You may NOT use a pre exiting models. All models must be done from scratch.
- An artist may change from a creature, a diorama, or creature series whenever he or she wishes.
- WIP thread should be posted on the Hardcore Modeling Challenge forum and should follow the following naming convention: HARDCORE MODELING!: Giant Robots/Giant Monsters: <<TYPE OF ENTRY >>
- For each image you should post:
Title of Model Completed[Model Images]
- For each model 3 Orthographic renders ARE REQUIRED. These renders are for TOP, SIDE, BOTTOM views and a BEAUTY RENDER.BEAUTY RENDER:
Final RENDERS should be rendered at 1600 X 1200 OR 1200 x 1600 in JPG format.(Post only as link) A smaller 800x 600 OR 600 x 800 image should be posted on the threads.
Ortographic renderings ARE REQUIRED for EACH entry and should be rendered at 800 x 600 OR 600x800.
- This means you need to submit renders of the from the Front, Sides (2), Back, Top and bottom.
- TURNTABLE ANIMATION (VOLUNTARY).
- I recomentd to aid the voters a turntable rendering of the model. It would have to be done in QuickTime or Windows Media at a resolution of 600 x 400 OR 300 x 200. The render might be done as a Quickshade or Beauty Render.
- Please add a brief text description about your piece.
- The artist also has to post total length of time it took to do and program used.
- Future topics for hardcore Challenges will be picked at random from the list on
this >>thread << (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
- Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
- Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
- Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.