HMC#38 - Rhedosaurus.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
yep, that area is looking better. a general rule i have learned over the years is any topology problems like n-gon's, 5+ edge poles, and tris should always be addressed with either surrounding it with equally sized quads and/or 1 or more edge loops separating the problem(s). Of course that is if the problem topology cant be eliminated with adjusting the topology. If your interested in learning more about topology I would recommend reading and following this forum: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...threadid=108412

06 June 2013
Hmmm...Steven Stahlberg...now there's a name I've not heard in a long time...a LONG time. Thanks once again.

Hurgh...I just added the fins to the head, and...meh. Its gone a bit...complicated with the n-gons. Also Silo is playing up when I use its famous sub-divide feature. The teeth just fly out of his mouth now...which is hilarious.

Oh well, not perfect but further than I thought I would take it.

Currently working on...HCR #42

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

Okay, the sculpting thing has me over a barrel. Using Sculptris, a beginner version of ZBrush, and...I just don't get it! Going to have to spend more time learning how to sculpt...

So, anyway, I decided to see if I can do a Clay render in Blender instead...hmmm. Blender doesn't seem to be able to save materials to a separate file...what the duece? Anyway, I guess it will make for a good python exercise, which I was looking for. On the other hand, I'm quite surprised how easy it is to set up a clay-render in Blender. After trying it in Max years ago, I was dreading it but yeah, easy in Blender...

06 June 2013
Have you tried Cycles in Blender? I don't have any experience with it but it seems to produce good results. Might be something to look into.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

06 June 2013
Aye, Wyatt. They are certainly singing its praises over on BA, which is a good indication its something special. Only just got round to a basic render last night, so I'll leave that for my "R&D" phase in between projects.

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

Well, I'm not one to back down from a challenge. I'm a bit lost with this sculpting stuff, but I feel I need to give it a shot.

I'm not sure what Sculptis is capable of compared to ZBrush, but it seems to produce cool models. However, with the over whelming number of tutorials, videos and books on ZB...I'm wondering if I should get a copy and be done with it. Its the industry standard as well, which would be useful on the 'ol CV...

06 June 2013
Okay, the sculpting thing is definitely a no-go for now. I've made my mind up to get a copy of ZBrush when I can afford it, but that time is sadly not now.

I've taken the mesh into Blender for UVing, as it is turning out to be one of the best 3D packages I have ever used. I rate it slightly behind Max because it is sadly frustrating to explore, and documentation isn't the best it could be. Thankfully, its community is frigging large and very supportive...

So, hopefully, I can get the Rhedosaurus textured in time.

06 June 2013
I haven't used Sculptris a whole lot but from what I've tried you don't really need tutorials for it as its very straight forward with what you can do. ZBrush has a slightly steeper learning curve but totally worth it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

So here is some UV mapping going on. I get the basic gist of this part of the pipeline but its an area I have very little experience in, save for using UV co-ordinates in graphics programming.

Although I have met my goal for this HMC(topology) I wish that I had allowed for the texturing stage. I'm not going to learn the skills over night and I'm sure the result by the time this HMC ends will be that of a 2-year old armed with a pack of crayolas...but hell, I am enjoying my time in Blender and liking its UV tools already.

Wyatt; After this has wrapped up, I'm going to spend some time with Sculptris. It'll be a good stepping stone to ZBrush.

06 June 2013
I envy your uv skilld control in blender I like learning, looks better I know than the auto mapping by maya.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Tombery: I envy your uv skilld control in blender I like learning, looks better I know than the auto mapping by maya.

Well, I wouldn't call it skill - I've spent the last day or so trying to get my head round how Blender does things and its been more trial and error. As the time is getting on I'm aiming for mirroring the UVs on one side of the model to the other.

Damn, just remembered...I've lost the pen for my Wacom Bamboo! Darth...take it away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

Finally over come the UV-mapping phase and now on to the fun part! Painting the texture! I'll be doing that tomorrow and then wrapping up(no pun intended) the final model the night after.

06 June 2013
Hi Boone

Great update
I want to see the scales.
keep updating

06 June 2013
Cheers, Antonio!

On the plus side I've found my Wacom Bamboo pen!

06 June 2013
I would try to make the limbs all laid out like gloves or socks. You get less distortion this way.

MY HMC

Thread Closed share thread