HMC#38 - Rhedosaurus.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #46
UPDATE!

sod it, its time for Mr Rhedy to have some nashers!

I decided to extrude the mouth area and break it off as a separate object, so I don't have to lose sleep by complicating the head mesh.

Old 06 June 2013   #47
Good work so far, You were correct in choosing to have a separate piece of geo for the mouth but you should also have different objects for the teeth too.

Old 06 June 2013   #48
Aye, Tucker, I did feel as if I was doing more work than necessary with the individual teeth.

Not sure how to approach the individual fins running along the back of the Beast. I feel they will add too many polygons to the main mesh...but...arggh. I dunno.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #49
Hi Boone.

I see a great job here.
Good work so far man.
I am following every step.

keep updating.

Last edited by antonioperes : 06 June 2013 at 01:38 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #50
Thanks, Antonio. Your work is so inspiring - how you have managed to produce two high quality characters in such a short amount of time is beyond me!

If I am going to come away from this challenge with at least one thing, it will definitely be a great respect for your professional skill.

Old 06 June 2013   #51
UPDATE!

I scrapped the previous lower-inner-mouth so that I could have the teeth as separate objects. So here is the inner mouth so far.

Not sure how to do the tongue. The teeth are now easy as separate objects, but the tongue could be connected to the inner-mouth mesh as it goes further down the throat. This might be awkward when it comes to skinning during the rigging process, but a separate object might seem wrong as it wouldn't connect to the lower mouth.

Old 06 June 2013   #52
The mouth looks much better. Having the teeth as separate objects is much easier to make work.
The tongue goes far enough down the throat that it will probably be fine leaving it as a separate object.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #53
Just before I add the separate tongue(cheers Wyatt!) I just had to post this...

BYE BYE SEYMOUR!

I think I might keep this for a future project...maybe for a man-eating plant or something!

Old 06 June 2013   #54
UPDATE!

Difficult to show his mouth at this stage but once rigged...hmmm.

Old 06 June 2013   #55
UPDATE!

Adding a bit more detail to the spine...

Old 06 June 2013   #56
Originally Posted by Boone: BYE BYE SEYMOUR!
Lol, I didn't notice that at first.

Looking very good with the head and face. I'm seeing the beast!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #57
Hi Boone
Magnificent update.
Very good work, the model is now complete.
I want to see the scales, follow updating

Old 06 June 2013   #58
Great work, One thing i can see that is an issue is the 6-edge pole on the neck. I would suggest cleaning that up by moving the edge termination on the right of the pole down a few loops(see image). Its best, when trying to reduce higher density geo to connect with lower to stagger the edge termination so that you dont have n-poles lying next to eachother. keep up the good work.

also where the edge loops for the eye and nostril meet up there are a couple of 5-edge poles sitting next to eachother. You may want to try getting a loop between those bad boys.

Old 06 June 2013   #59
Bless you both for the kind words!

LOL, funny thing happened Monday afternoon...I went into work to do the dreaded 2-10 shift, but a colleague looked at me and asked "Steve? Are you feeling alright?".

I said "Yeah...not bad. Why?" and she then said "Steve, aren't you supposed to be on Holiday?". So five minutes later, after a quick word with my manager, I was straight out to my car and burning rubber!

I've been working so hard with moving house, a university course, this contest, and other shenanigans that I forgot I had this week off!

So that's given me the time to get ahead on this project. Now, seeing the fantastic progress you have made, Antonio, I had to rethink where I am going with the Rhedosaurus. I'm not that good with sculpting so I think trying to improve the Rhedosaurus would be a disaster - possibly a waste of time - so I'm considering putting him in a devastated street corner. The logic being that learning to sculpt with buildings and rubble would be easier than trying to create skin and fine detail on a creature...

Well, that's the plan for now. Once again, the feed back is wonderful!

Old 06 June 2013   #60
UPDATE!

Here is an attempt to correct the neck. Is this what you mean, Tucker?

Oh, in the last update, the fins on the back of the beast were individual objects, whereas they are now part of the body mesh. I have yet to do this for the fins on the head, though, so should have that for the next update. Reason I've done this is because Silo seems to crash whenever I have too many objects in the scene...either that or too many planes intersecting in the view...either way, this is the first time I have experienced crashes in Silo for a long while...hmm.

Thread Closed share thread