HMC#38 - Rhedosaurus.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Cheers, Antonio.

Gonna have to make a start on that head tonight, so hopefully another update in a few hours...

05 May 2013
UPDATE!

Hmmm, difficult to find perfect side and front ortho-views of the Beast, so this seems to be the best I'm going to get. I don't think this way of mapping out his head will lead to the final head mesh, but it could be useful as a guide for the side view at least.

Still, the head was always going to the meat'n'potatoes of the mesh, so I'll just keep plodding on with it...

05 May 2013
UPDATE!

Sod it, here's another update. Its getting better than I thought although there is still much more to do. Still, its the start I had wished for...

05 May 2013
good progress, as far as topology...youll probably need to add/adjust these loops. You will want to have a complete poly loop for around the mouth.

05 May 2013
UPDATE!

Surprisingly, everything is falling into place where the head is concerned. Although this model is far from anything professional, I am pleased with how it has turned out. Once I get the nostrils in there, I should be alright...

Tucker, you are a guiding light for me on this HMC. Without your advice I would not have got this far.

05 May 2013
And just to see the body and head together...

06 June 2013
Moving into a new house this weekend, and so I might not have internet access for a while now. I am still working on this model in the mean time so bare with me...

06 June 2013
Coming together nicely. Keep it up.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

06 June 2013
Been a killer weekend. It included my Degree ceremony, moving house, falling a bit behind on my current OU science course and then my Brother's laptop got a serious virus. No rest for the wicked...

On the plus side, I was able to find a Razor/Belkin Nostromo and I am already clamping down on awkward short cuts like the sodding merge command in Silo - Ctrl+M, and grouping together logical sets of commands. Cannot wait to unleash this bad boy on 3dsMax and Blender!

So, to-do list for Rhedosaurus...

1. Nostrils
2. Dragon-like ears
3. Tail

...which need to be done before adding the head to the body. Once done, I can look forward to rendering in 3dsMax...

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

So that's the nostrils. Not entirely happy with them, but I suppose its a start.

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

Find it strange a Dinosaur has ears, but it appears the Rhedosaurus has been given dragon-like ears by Ray. This maybe from his exit from his Mother Goose years in his early design sketches for the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. It all makes him an interesting case study...

So, whilst I've added the nostrils and ears, they still need more tweaking.

Last edited by Boone : 06 June 2013 at 07:43 AM.

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

Decided to try putting it all together tonight. Maybe too soon, but I have the individual parts on back up so its not too much hassle.

06 June 2013
UPDATE!

I have done a bit of tidying up as the mesh symmetry was playing up, and have increased the size of the back legs along with defining the throat.

I had a go with Sculptris this afternoon, but sadly...I just suck badly at sculpting! Its something I will need to put aside a great deal of time to get my head around. I'm not too worried about it as my focus is creating a mesh that deforms well for animation.

Rest of today will be mapping my Nostromo for use with Max and Blender, getting ready for the Nostromo spacecraft model from Alien...

06 June 2013
You should try to create more square polygones for Zbrush.

And If you want to connect the head with the torso, well you can add a level of subdivisions for the body so you won't have to create this loops at the jonction on the neck.

06 June 2013
Yes, I did notice when I imported the .obj of the Rhedy into Sculptris(I sadly do not have ZBrush), it came up with a message saying it had turned some polygons into triangles. I thought that was a bit strange at the time...

I'll definitely look into the neck area. That's been bothered me for a while now...

Thread Closed share thread