HMC#38 - Rhedosaurus.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #16
your welcome, as far as the back and shoulders; Sending the green poly flow over the back might leave you with some unsavory topology around the shoulder blades. Sending it down the length of the body will keep the topology clean but introduce extra geometry in the lower body...You might wait to deal with these until your lower half is a bit more modeled.

Here is a study of the forms I am seeing that might help you decided what you want to do.

Hope this helps

Old 05 May 2013   #17
UPDATE!

That certainly does help me plan ahead, Tucker. I decided - before proceeding - to get that back leg on the body. I can then make a call on which way to go on topology. I think it looks a bit naff, but can either adjust it or start that body part again from scratch if need be.

Oh, the feet on the Rhedy - as much as I love'em that way - were far too large so I've scaled them down...

Old 05 May 2013   #18
I would do the edge loops like this.

MY HMC

Old 05 May 2013   #19
I will certainly try not to disappoint you on that one, Rob.

LOL, I was telling my Father casually over washing up tonight; "You know, I feel I've got off to a flying start over all the other entries, but I just get this funny feeling that on the last seven days of the challenge, the pros will suddenly start posting their updates and completely blow me out of the water! I swear the bastards are toying with me!"

Old 05 May 2013   #20
Lol, I call them the ringers.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05 May 2013   #21
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Lol, I call them the ringers.

Then I am screwed.

Old 05 May 2013   #22
UPDATE!

Okay, I'm still working on the back leg and the topology around where it connects to the main body. It seems okay, as its still 100% quads, but I'm going to let you guys be the judge of that.

Old 05 May 2013   #23
Preferably you want to separate N-poles(verts with more then 4 connections) by at least 1 edgeloop to avoid any smoothing problems

I recommend inserting an edgeloop where I drew the blue line.

You might want to do this for the n-poles on the top of the leg as well cant really see if there is a loop there or not.

Old 05 May 2013   #24
UPDATE!

Tucker, I knew there was something odd about those two vertices you pointed out. Thanks for the quick assist!

Oh, I can't get symmetry mode to work on this model in Silo, so I'm going to have to look into that. Anyway, here's the first Sub-division view of the model along with the other half added. Have to say, I didn't think I would get this far with it...

Old 05 May 2013   #25
EXPERIMENT TIME!

Sigh. Okay, so after a few days pondering how to tackle the topology of the head, I decided to stop mucking around and try an experiment.

So, obviously, this is not the head yet. Just trying to figuring out the flow around the eyes and mouth. Yeah, there's the nostrils but they are pretty much the same as the eyes. I think I'm on the right track and should be all right when I start work on the head for real...

Old 05 May 2013   #26
Front Leg sholder topo needs to be the same as the back leg.

MY HMC

Old 05 May 2013   #27
UPDATE!

Okay, I've made an adjustment to the edge loop around the front shoulder...bollocks. Just spotted an n-gon underneath the arm-pit. That will definitely need fixing(should be easy though) before I move on...

Old 05 May 2013   #28
UPDATE!

Not more than a few tweaks here and there, but I suppose its time for another Sub-D image...

Old 05 May 2013   #29
Just another post to share with you all...

I've recently been looking back at a favourite film of mine, ALIEN. Along with The Duelists and Blade Runner, its a film I like to study in great detail. Having obtained copies of the Illustrated Story and Alien Vault, I have came across not only good reference but also a blue print of the Nostromo space craft. That will be my next project after this one has wrapped up, so I will most likely not be doing the following HMC, whatever that might be...unless its a sci-fi spaceship or Ridley Scott challenge, of course. Very much looking forward to it.

Old 05 May 2013   #30
Hi Boone

My favorite monster.
Congratulations on the choice.
I am following the great model.

Thread Closed share thread