HMC#38 - Rhedosaurus.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
HMC#38 - Rhedosaurus.

CURRENT UPDATE

Bit nervous about this one, as I last entered an HMC about three years ago, but I was upset at hearing the news of Ray's passing that I wanted a chance to remember him from when he was first starting out in Hollywood.

I originally wanted to do a diorama of Mighty Joe Young holding an Orphan in a Tree ablaze, but I'm not that good enough a modeller. Sad, as after years of searching high and low for a copy of MJY, it was only on the night of hearing of Ray's passing did I get to finally see MJY for the first time via the internet. A special film as it was Ray's first big break into Hollywood, and I was amazed at how daring and technically difficult the animation was for that film. I am sad I cannot attempt such a scene, but thats how it goes...

However, I will instead go with Ray's first solo big screen adventure with the Rhedosaurus from The Best from 20,000 Fathoms. Its a simple B-Movie, but its the first film where Ray stood on his own two feet and began to carve out his own Legend in Cinema history...I also have very fond memories of The Beast' as my late Grandfather used to play it for me and my brother as children. In some way, we were close to him and Ray in the same time. This will sound silly, but the passing of Ray hurts as he reminds me so much of my own Grandfather. Actually meeting Ray in person back in 2004 makes it even more difficult to accept his passing.

Anyway, I'm sorry to go on in Ted Striker fashion here, so I will wrap up by saying I will be using Silo for modelling, 3dsMax for additional modelling and rendering, and after the contest, Blender for Character animation.

I would like to thank Roberto Ortiz for making this exception to the HMC rules in respect for Ray. It means a lot.

Last edited by Boone : 07 July 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Cool man! That's pretty neat you got to meet the guy. Is this the scene your talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfVzLhvJ2U

I probably won't be able to participate on this one, but I'll be following everyone's threads and maybe offering any feedback I can. Good luck!

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Nice choice. Interested in seeing what you create. I knew you would enter as I know how much Ray means to you. If you need any max advice don't hesitate to ask.

MY HMC

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Originally Posted by AJ1: Cool man! That's pretty neat you got to meet the guy. Is this the scene your talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfVzLhvJ2U

I probably won't be able to participate on this one, but I'll be following everyone's threads and maybe offering any feedback I can. Good luck!

-AJ

Nice one!

Your work in the last HMC was really good. Shame you're not with us for this one. Your feedback would be lovely, matey.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Airflow: Nice choice. Interested in seeing what you create. I knew you would enter as I know how much Ray means to you. If you need any max advice don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers, Rob. Your support over the years has been most appreciated, and without your guidance I would still be modelling with triangles and n-gons. I.e - still modelling like a twat! o_O

If I wasn't doing construction and decorating work at my new house(its a bloody disaster) I would go all out and recreate the fair ground scene from the climax of The Beast' but for now I'm just aiming for a clean and animation-ready low-polygon model of the "Rhedy". I have no real experience with sculpting packages so I will leave that part of the modelling phase for another time...

Anyway, on with the challenge!

Old 05 May 2013   #6
With no side-front view to sketch from, I decided to just best-guess it with the best photo I could find...

...looks more like a vital organ than the body of a city munching menace but I'm just blocking at this time. Oh, the red polys are where I shall connect the legs to the body, and I've decided not to use symmetry mode yet until I'm done blocking...

Anyway, I call it a night for now. Not sure when the next update will be, but I'll try to make it at least one a night.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
UPDATE!

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/...8_update_01.jpg

Was thinking of using Blender for the low-poly work, but being as time is short due to moving house, I'm sticking with my tried and tested copy of Silo. I'm also tempted to do some sculpting on this project, but with little experience in the area, its a bad idea to start experimenting whilst a project is under way - especially with a time limit...

The leg is just being blocked out, like the body. Its giving me time to consider how to attack the head, study the references for it. One thing I am glad about is keeping the entire mesh 100% quads. Recently learning how to redirect edge loops was worth the effort, and no doubt I will need the skill for when I do get to the head.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Was having some thoughts about what would have made a cool diorama for this challenge, but sadly it was a Willis O'Brian movie: The Football stadium smackdown at the end of The Black Scorpion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChqptAj6us

...with all the films they make today, imagine Phil Tippet doing a remake of this! Tanks, in a Football stadium...getting owned by a giant scorpion. You could not make it up! Well, Willis O'Brian did, but still, its up there with Chuck Norris saving the girl whilst riding a Tiger.

The only question is whether to leave the bit in where the dick head picks up the harpoon whilst its still obviously electrified...

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by Boone: I'm also tempted to do some sculpting on this project, but with little experience in the area, its a bad idea to start experimenting whilst a project is under way - especially with a time limit...

I don't know mate, I find these challenges the best time to learn something new.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Quite agree, Wyatt.

I suppose my way of working has changed since earlier projects - especially in programming - as I spend time between projects learning new techniques, packages and doing tests. Then I use projects to see how it goes under real pressure. Timothy Albee suggested this way of working in one of his books, and its working well for me. After this project wraps up, I'll most likely spend a week or two exploring Sculptris and Silo's retopology tools - possibly giving Topogun a try, as I hear it has the best tools in that area. Might even invest in a reprogrammable pad(say 15 buttons) for most used modelling functions as I find a reprog keyboard not only overkill, but also clumsy in addition to a primary keyboard.

It still has its disadvantages, though, as sometimes one needs to adapt on the spot, which I assume is how most CG artists go about it. Its certainly a valuable skill to have.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
UPDATE!

Bit worried about connecting the leg to the main body and I'm not entirely convinced that's how a leg should be on a lizard-like creature, but...I dunno, what do you guys think? Baring in mind I might be animating him later on...

This modelling lark feels like a game of chess sometimes...

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Hi Boone.

I loved it

good luck

Old 05 May 2013   #13
This is what would make sense to me.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Regarding Re-programmable pad. I got a Nostromo Gaming Keypad kicking around if you wanna loan it.
Nice updates.

MY HMC

Old 05 May 2013   #15
UPDATE!

Cheers, Tucker! The back of the shoulder is a bit out, but I see what you mean and will fix that tomorrow. Much appreciated, as it looks good in SubD mode.

The Nostromo. Rob, that is a lovely piece of gear. Maybe we can meet up in London some time soon and you can name your price...

Thank you, Antonio. I can't wait to unleash this bugger on a city!

Last edited by Boone : 05 May 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Thread Closed share thread