HMC #38 - Medusa - Airflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Rob, is it better to sculpt first then retop, or create a low-poly first with good topology and then do sculpting?

Is one approach outdated or does it depend on the project's needs?

05 May 2013
Low poly to sculpt is redundant. Sometimes edge loops can effect your sculpt. Less so remeshing in zbrush. But it's not so important. You can build up creatures with remeshing and inserting primitives, sculpting, remeshing, and so on. Once you have your finished sculpt, you can uvmaster for textures, or output to mud box.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Some people prefer low poly then sculpt. They are better and faster at it and it gives you more control of your base cage.

I am not so I prefer sculpt then retopo.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

05 May 2013
I'm just stuck in a rut as I've no sculpting experience, save for some sampling of TrueSpace and Sculptris...oh, and ZBrush. I must address that after this challenge... o_O

05 May 2013
Hi Airflow

great start

Congratulations

05 May 2013
Cheers all.

Boone. I suggest blocking out your mesh, try to keep all the quads as similar as possible. Uniform is the key. Then bring it into zbrush and start blocking out muscle groups. Start with the largest forms and work downwards. Once you start to get jaggies when you sculpt, create a new sub-d level and continue. Large forms down to small. When you get to scars and veins its time to start sculpting in highres or just painting bump maps for things smaller than these.

I willm help you out when you get to that level. Sculptris is ok, but its refinement is a bit lacking. It may be an idea to start there. And export that into zbrush when it get sluggish/reaches detail plateau.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Update.
I decided to do one body, but do a face/skin/hair morph.
It will mean I have more time to focus on the features.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
That's a lovely head there, Rob.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind if I get the chance to do sculpting on this challenge(looking unlikely at the moment).

05 May 2013
Cheers. Small update.
Blocked out the torso.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Looking good so far.

05 May 2013
Thanks.
Started building her Bow. And decided to sculpt some hands to a high level.
Will post later today.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Will post Bow start tomorrow.
Gf's do like to waylay plans.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Kewl.

05 May 2013
Decided to do a paintover/concept.

Still looks evil but a bit more acceptable.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Cool. Keep going...

Thread Closed share thread