HMC #38 - Medusa

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #31
Good progress bud and no I don't think there is another quicker method than the one you're implementing, not that I know enough about Zbrush, but I did a Ben Grimm model in 3DCoat and his detail caused me similar time issues. I ended up using a cracked mask and then using the draw brush. But as Medusa has a lot of differing snake-like features, I don't think you've got any other choice.

Nice test rig in Lightwave too. Looking forward to more.

Old 06 June 2013   #32
Hi Mr. WyattHarris.
The scales are great.
I loved the details of the head.
Keep updating.

Old 06 June 2013   #33
Thanks for checking it out guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm refining this as I go. The 2nd half of the face took about half the time of the 1st and I much prefer some of the details as well. I found if I raised the focus point on the standard brush to above 80 it adds a really cool pattern to whatever you sculpt with it.

Tonight's progress. Finished the tail, still need to do the rattle but that won't take long. I've already got that process down. I'm not so happy with the bumps on the top of the tail but time is pressing right now. If there's time at the end I'll try and fix it up.

A closer shot of the details. The bottom was mostly Dam Standard. I left the last top ring blank so I can transition it with the skin once I've got that figured out.

Thanks for any comments.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #34
Looking nice. Keep going, you are carrying the flag now.

MY HMC

Old 06 June 2013   #35
@Airflow - Yeah yeah!

Finished the rattle. All that's left is her body, oh right and the snakes.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #36
Come on Wyatt! You can do it!

Wyatt! Wyatt! Wyatt!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #37
Very nice, keep up the good work.

Old 06 June 2013   #38
Thank you fellas, keep on keeping on.

Found some great alphas on Pixologic, Snakeskin and Dragonskin. I made 4 versions of the dragonskin to accomodate several different spots. I left the gaps between the shoulders and chest so I can join them later. There is a pattern to the ribcage and abs that will require a bit more hands-on that I'll work on tomorrow. I left the top tail blank so I can join the two different types together.

Close up of the neck.

Almost there.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #39
Looking good keep at it, you have gotten better

Old 06 June 2013   #40
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it.

Okay, sculpt of the main body is done. I changed the material to pewter for these so the cavities stand out better.

I mainly worked on the remaining blank spots today and finished all of the transitions from the different skin types.

I sculpted the hands based on the puppets hands.

Alright, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.
All that's left now is claws, snakes and painting. So much to do!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #41
Wow man,
I loved the new details of the skin.
Come on,
keep updating

Old 06 June 2013   #42
@Antonio -Yep yep, got an early start today. Ready to rock and roll.

Since ZRemesher just came out I figured I'd give it a try. I'll plan for this tool better next project.
1. Pretty straight forward. I extracted the nail polys into a new subtool which came out to 23,480 polys.
2. Ran a decimation pass, default settings, which dropped it to 500 polys and a mess of triangles.
3. The 'QRemesherGuides' brush has been renamed to 'ZRemesherGuides', go figure. Anyway, sketched out some really basic guides, nothing fancy.
4. Enabled 'Freeze Border' and set the 'Target Poly Count' to '.5'. The lowest I could get it, with good results, was 2,124 polys. 1000 polys created some bad flow.

I LOVE this tool!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #43
You are making good progress, keep it up!

Old 06 June 2013   #44
Okay, I just wanted to lay something out for you guys.
I'm planning out the snakes and so I'm figuring out how to do that. What I've noticed during this entire challenge, watching the film, analyzing stills, photos of the puppet, photos of the puppet while Harryhausen is posing it, and this new 1/16 scale statue. The snakes do not grow out of her head like a traditional version of Medusa. For every snake head I see a tail waggling along with it. This is the best version I've found of her head.

So how I'm going to do this is basically make a nest of vipers twisted into her hair. It does make it easier I'll admit just don't run me out of town when you see it. What really doesn't make sense then is how Perseus held her head up by the snakes.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #45
Lol, none of these snakes look poisonous yet they have fangs.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread