HMC #38 - Medusa

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #16
Thanks Boone, Antonio.

Busy weekend. Took longer than I thought on the tail but finally got it and the rattle at a good base state. Should be able to make some good progress tomorrow.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #17
Good progress mate.

MY HMC

Old 06 June 2013   #18
Thanks Rob.

This whole time the mouth has been bothering me and I've tweaked and tweaked and couldn't figure out what was wrong. So I had the notion that perhaps its never going to look right without the teeth and sure enough, that was it. I did a few other things today but mostly the teeth and gums and slacked off. Which is also good.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #19
Hi Mr.WyattHarris.

I loved the face of Medusa.
Very good job.
keep updating.
I'm following.

Old 06 June 2013   #20
Thanks again Antonio.
Okay, so I am steadily working on this but really don't have anything new to show. The reason is because I've come to the place where it's time to start adding details. That means all of those scales that cover her entire body.

So I've been testing many different techniques at high resolution to see what looks good and what doesn't before I commit to anything. Good news is I've come up with methods for the tail scales and her skin scales so I think I'm ready to go. Should have something new to show this weekend.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #21
Very cool work in progress WyattHarris, looking vorward.

Old 06 June 2013   #22
Can't wait to see your next update now that Rob has sadly pulled out.

Old 06 June 2013   #23
Been awhile, sorry about that. I've just been really apprehensive about starting the rest. I don't know about that rest of you but I tend to psych myself out when I need to work on a daunting task and then I just get nothing done. Well I think that's all behind me now.

Anyway, first I worked on her hands a bit more to get rid of the sausage fingers.

Then started blocking in the final details on the tail. It has these protruding ridges at the top that transition to overlapping plates toward the bottom. And started mucking around with the rattle. Not sure about that yet. It looks correct, just not sure I like it.

And finally I bit the bullet and started putting in her scales. This is the result after lots of trial and error. Even at this high a level it's still a bit light on polys in spots so I was trying things for most of the evening. Now that I'm satisfied with the process, the rest should go faster.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 06 June 2013 at 03:22 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #24
Loving it!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #25
Great start, wonderful progress.. now for the long journey of detail. Looks good so far.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
Great progress mr. WyattHarris .
Looks good so far.
I'm following.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
Haha, i know how you feel... busy weeks and weekends I can't even get my hands on starting a thread on my research and development...
Keep going! really cool stuff, i am not doing much of organic/creature, so i wanted to ask if you can sum-up the process for the scales on the face and detailed areas in general,

did you make alpha for each scale> or did you designed the patterned and used as stencil like application>?

Thanks!
-stas

- stas
www.stascrash.com

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Thanks fellas, I was watching the clock and it took me a little more than an hour to do this bit. That's actually getting a lot faster as I am not quick. A little bit better each stroke.

Okay stascrash, as requested. Keep in mind between each step is a whole lot of undoing when I didn't like the result. Like I completed one whole section of her eye, put in the details, didn't like it and backed up about 50 steps. But I do that a lot.

1. Alright step one. Mask in the area using the standard brush. (or whatever works for you) I tend to use the standard brush for just about everything unless it's something specific. I don't usually change alphas just so I can operate faster. Alphas would probably make this bit easier.

2. I wanted her to have a squarish edge to these scales and the standard brush leaves a round edge so I go back and use alt+standard to refine or flatten the edge as needed.

3. This bit depends on the existing surface. I previously sculpted in ridges to block in scales for much of her face. For those I use alt+standard to carve away the gaps between scales. For this, since I didn't presculpt I inverted the selection and used standard to sculpt in scales. If the brush size for the mask was 10 then I used a brush size of 20 or more to sculpt in the scales. I like the shape created with big brushes. For this step I use long continuous strokes with lazy mouse, or without LZ, it depends.

4. Then I just go behind that and sculpt in details making sure it still fits the eyeball. I use many different brushes for the details, whatever the situation calls for. For this step I'm sculpting each scale individually.

5. Progress so far. I'm eyeballing the reference shots I have on the other monitor. The area above her eye is supposed to look a bit like actual snake scales but as I learned from Steve Irwin, I added damage from hits shes taken over the years. My general idea is large areas of rigid scales with mangled connective tissue joining those areas together.

I hope to get the whole head done today if I'm going to have a chance of finishing.

Edit: BTW, if anyone knows a better way to do any of this, I'm all ears.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 06 June 2013 at 07:14 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Took longer than I wanted but the face is done. Man, working asymmetrical is not my favorite.

wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #30
Sigh...you kids today with your ZBrush and awesome sculpting skills...

Currently working on...HCR #42

Thread Closed share thread