Hardcore Modeling Challenge #37 Femme Fatale by Nat

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Looks like a neat element removal job!

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Hardcore Modeling Challenge #37 Femme Fatale, Michelle Pfeiffer! by Nat

Hi there,

I spent a good while improving the quality of my rendering, and also fixed the bckground I retouched earlier today with some Depth Of Field. Also did some slight improvements here and there so that I will be able to start with the hair tmro. Hope you'ld like my wip.

TY 4 ur input Kanga...well I knew that my MP bust will partly cover the bckground layer so I didn't spend that much time on the photo retouching in that matter (not to waste any time for nothing), but yes it's not too bad.

Cheers,
Nat.

a Larger pic here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wip412CG.jpg (89.9 KB, 38 views)

Old 03 March 2013   #18
That is coming along very nicely. Interesting idea with the backdrop, simple and effective.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #19
I dont think there is enough sub surface scattering going on especially between the eyes and nose. On a side note the texturing and eyelashes are done very well. I have to ask how big is the map for the head? and if possible can i see the UV map for the head?

Old 03 March 2013   #20

Hello there,

Still working hard on the hair.

Hey Gyarados, thx 4 ur comment dude, head/Neck UV map is about 4096x4096, I already posted the UV map a while ago, just scroll down on my WIP page here:
Uv map

CU later,
Nat.

Last edited by ARTISTOC : 03 March 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Her face looks exactly like the ones in the references you collected. Very good match.

Old 04 April 2013   #22
Hey guys,

Yo Kanga, thx for ur comment, I really tryed to be very accurate and to work a lot on the likeness inspired by all the ref pix I showed at the beginin of my thread here...Worked hard on the texturing either, to get the closest poss (I should post some pix of the texturing over the week)...So I'm pretty happy u said that because it had been a long process to carry on with this challenge and to hold the line and finally made what I had in mind becoming true little by little.

So now I'm still very much involved in the hair process, lots of splines, and different hair systems mixed all together, ya got the ones to be some highlighted strokes and the ones to be darker, the ones to be thicker and the ones to be thinner and so forth and so on...It's quite harsh to make it but...That's the fun part lol...No but...Seriously, she has curly hair nowadays, and it's a very big mess to make it right!!!Gosh I also spent Easter on it!!!

Cheers everyone,
Nat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wip42.jpg (95.6 KB, 45 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #23
Wow, are that many splines required? What hair system is that?
It's looking great, even from this lo-rez version but man that looks tough to manage.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #24

Hello evreyone,

Yup WyattHarris, it seems there are lots of splines because I displayed the hair system at a 100 % in Maya, which makes the all thing a bit hard to understand at the first sight...But it helps me to have a better view on what I'm doing. So no worries it seems weird but it's gettin all ok.
There are also different hair system with different settings and colors, etc...to make it look right. But I agree hair system it's tough to manage anyway and rendering this in MR as well, but...is it a challenge here or not?!

Cheers,
Nat.

Old 04 April 2013   #25
Originally Posted by ARTISTOC: but...is it a challenge here or not?!

Too true, too true. Can't wait to see the result.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #26

Haha

Duyaknow wot WyattHarris???...Me 2!

Old 04 April 2013   #27
Looks good. Maybe vray might be an option if mray is being tricky.

MY HMC

Old 04 April 2013   #28

Hello,

I know the deadline of this hardcore modeling challenge is tmro...So I wanted to post my very last WIP with the hair done. For now I took the color off and I'm only showing a gray scale rendering because Im now fixing the luminosity and contrast of my scene.
As I said a bit ago, I'm using the movie film 'Dark Shadows' as a ref...So Its my very last update to share with all of u B4 I'll upload my final pic tmro.
Hope u would like it, because it's a lot of work done here I achieved little by little each night after my day at work and over some of my week ends as well.

U can see the pic in larger here:

cheers,
Nat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wip462CG.jpg (89.3 KB, 28 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #29
This is looking good, the hair doesn't really look unified with the face. THe skin has so much noisy specular pop, and the hair has none, just light wispys. I don't know how much touch up is allowed, but I'd lean towards getting that hair looking right in PS.

Old 04 April 2013   #30

Hello,

Thx h2olt to think it looks good.
Hair and face had been rendered in the same scene (same lights and same settings), of course I used a specular map for the SSS shader and didn't for the hair. I guess I should highlight the hair and turn the colors on, the all thing should be better.
Please have a look at the pic from Dark Shadows I've just uploaded her, I used this pic as a ref to try to reproduce the global atmosphere and lights and colors of the scene. Hair I made was from different films and pix.
Hope you would like it.

AH yes, does somebody know where and how to upload our final entry???
It's already 9.20 PM in France and I'm pretty tired tonight so I wish I could post my final pic and go to bed right away.

Cheers,
Nat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wip50.jpg (34.3 KB, 14 views)

Thread Closed share thread