HCR Challenge#37: Femme Fatale-Batgirl

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
For the assumption of J. Scott Campbell, you're correct that I'm going for a more comic book approach to this. I'd rather not have it appear super life like or super real world, but I tried to follow muscle structure in the female body no matter what.

A quick Google Search that pulls up some of J. Scott Campbell's artwork, Click if you want to view.

I did try to match Jane Levy's facial features (the red head in the image on the original post). I've got to get this retopology done so I can finish polishing the detail.

To my understanding the Hardcore Challenge wasn't to make the Femme Fatale characters real world unless you wanted to do so.
Or perhaps I missed the whole point of the challenge.
After all, it is a Challenge to meet a deadline and I've come to the conclusion if I can't get a cowl on this character by this weekend I won't be able to finish in time, but I'll continue in my spare time.

Like AirFlow, real work is my bane at the moment.

I appreciate all critiques, it's always a learning process with whatever project you do.

Last edited by rhinton : 03 March 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
I think your model is coming along well. If the purpose is to complete a model that looks good and youíre proud of, I think youíre succeeding. Not everyone has the same taste in the comic book look, but it has that feel to it, which I like. Maybe more of a mix in styles. A touch of J.Scott with a touch of Jane and maybe your own style.

Once you start adding seams and coloring I think itíll make a huge difference. At the moment it looks a bit blended with no defining border of what is considered skin, armor, or clothing. But again, I reserve some criticism since I know this is a work in progress.

Good job and I encourage you to continue with this even if the challenge is over.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Originally Posted by rhinton: To my understanding the Hardcore Challenge wasn't to make the Femme Fatale characters real world unless you wanted to do so.
Or perhaps I missed the whole point of the challenge.

Nope, you got it right. Push yourself under a tight deadline.
Now that I see what you are going for I think you are doing a great job. Keep it up.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Definitely want to see this one finished so I hope it's only real world commitments and nothing I've said that might derail you.

I really like the J Scott Campell style and I , there's just always a major hurdle when it comes to creating someones stylized proportions in 3d. The problems with it looking "right" (not anorexic) are because j scot campbell draws tiny tiny waists. In contrast he draws great big bootys so the characters are relly dificult to make 3d.

One thing worth pointing out is that no where i that search, and never to my memory, has Campbell drawn one of his hour glassed females wearing body armor. They're usually in skin tight spandex, and that's because it's very difficult to depict armor over such a tiny waist. You've already done a great job of putting armor on that figure, I only mean to point out where you may be making things more difficult in the mash-up between the current Barbara costume and the Campbell body type. A bit less Campbell might make this easier.

Good luck sorting the costume out. I hope you can find the time to get this done.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
I think the Campbell style was always flawed right back from the Gen13 days. He rotates the hip section of female in a way that reflected some of the Image comic artists greatest excesses. Its anatomically incorrect, if you overlay it on a standard Marvel Anatomy chart or over an image of a female profile. I think this is the main culprit in throwing off your models anatomy..
Also, yeah it sucks not being able to keep up with the pace here.
Just got a weeks break from work, and another job just came in....

MY HMC

Old 04 April 2013   #21
HCR MINI-Challenge #37: Femme Fatale! :POST YOUR FINAL ENTRY!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2013   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread