HMC #37: Femme-Fatale - Leia Organa-Solo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
HMC #37: Femme-Fatale - Leia Organa-Solo

While probably not a traditional "femme-fatale", they don't come much more empowered than Mrs Organa-Solo, and since it ties into a current personal project, I'll be tackling Leia....at age 56...

mightn't be any progress for a while though...

i'm beginning to understand why I never sculpt females...let alone older ones....

Old 02 February 2013   #2
If I were you, I'd find good references of Carrie Fisher from when when she was much younger. Do your best to get a decent likeness for the younger version and then age up from there. That'd be my tactic. This way, you can progressively get her closer to the age you want and avoid overshooting it and winding up with Phyllis Diller.

Personally, I love modeling women. The tricky part is keeping them soft. If you're used to sculpting guys, you might have a tendency to emphasize these sharper cuts that define your muscle groups. Women are much more subtle. Even when the subject is thin or athletic, there's generally a layer of fat that keeps them softer looking. That's especially true with the face, where you usually don't want such chiseled, hard features.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Older Leia should be a blast.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
it's funny you say that cos that's exactly what i did...lol...

started off with a rough version of younger carrie and then aged it...

it's also a bit hard to judge likeness without hair...so I might have to add a temp fibremesh wig for her....

anyways i'll try and have something to show soon....

EDIT: this is maybe 2-3 years old but this is close to how I'll want her to look

Last edited by robo3687 : 02 February 2013 at 07:12 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
How are your results with fibermesh? I've done a little with it but nothing serious.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: How are your results with fibermesh? I've done a little with it but nothing serious.

There's a good piece by Miriam Bonetti on the creation of her Salvador Dali model. She uses fibermesh for the hair and the results are actually pretty good. I'm not sure how well it'd hold up with other styles or longer hair, but it certainly can be used for some things.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: How are your results with fibermesh? I've done a little with it but nothing serious.

if you check my other WIP thread (where i'm doing the Luke and Han sculpts in addition to Leia)

Getting the Gang Back Together (Star Wars)

you'll see a couple of examples of my fibremesh hair that I've rendered in max. I find it very, very good for eyebrows, and it seems quite good for shorter hair...the real test will come when I have to do Leia's hair...

speaking of Leia, I've finally got something to show.

There's quite a bit of frustration and annoyance that's gone into this so far, but I think it's finally starting to get on the right track.

it wasn't until i put the dynamesh hair in that things started to get closer...and i think once she gets proper hair & makeup it'll help even more...

the mouth needs fixing (it seems too wide) and I need to soften her face in places (the eyes especially), then a detail pass...

the neck also needs some work as I barely touched it, outside of giving it a rough shape...

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by robo3687: if you check my other WIP thread (where i'm doing the Luke and Han sculpts in addition to Leia)

Getting the Gang Back Together (Star Wars)
Ah okay, hadn't seen the update with hair yet. That renders pretty good.

So far it reminds me of everything else in ZBrush. With a little work it can look pretty good, with a lot of work it can look right.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2013   #8
just realised I forgot to post this the other day...

slowly getting there...

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Nice work. A real challenge this one

Old 03 March 2013   #10
I like the skin quite realistic. Are you still working on this one robo?

Old 03 March 2013   #11
i am indeed...i just took a little break from it....

i'd sort of gotten stuck in a stage i call "endless adjusting", where i just sit there for days fiddling and never really getting anywhere...

so i'm taking a week or 2 off and just sculpting a bunch of other stuff to get myself out of the creative rut...

should be back to it soon...

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Originally Posted by robo3687: i am indeed...i just took a little break from it....

i'd sort of gotten stuck in a stage i call "endless adjusting", where i just sit there for days fiddling and never really getting anywhere...

so i'm taking a week or 2 off and just sculpting a bunch of other stuff to get myself out of the creative rut...

should be back to it soon...

Thats good to hear you are still going to be working on it. I really liked your Harrison ford model way back during the sci-fi HMC.

Yeah... i was stuck tweaking the shit out of a previous model and getting nowhere...sucks. Hope you can post an update soon though.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
I really want to see more of this. I always liked the Dark Empire comic series which features an older Luke meddling with the dark side and a now Jedi Leia having to bring him back to the light. The comic was drawn with a 'slightly older' luke and leia, but as they've aged I've been drawn to the idea of fischer and Hamill reprising their roles. too few people give older actors their due.

I have a technique I use for fast-pathing that creative refresh when I'm feeling bogged in a project. Get one of those workout interval timers, (Here's the Android one I use) and set it for a five minute countdown with a 30 second break between. Pull up a whole page of someone's sketchbook of creatures from one of these many fine portfolio sites. Then just bust through making creature heads using dynamesh 5 minutes at a time for like an hour. Blasting some Industrial music never hurts either.

I always liked warm-up sketches in life drawing class, for drawing the 10-30 second poses were the best. It's imortant to figure out how to apply real life traditional media practices to this sterile cg world.

I'm very tactile so it always helps my to get my hands on some real Plasticine clay too.

Good luck and hope to see more soon.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
@gyarados: if you check the link in my sig you'll see a continuation of that exact Han sculpt, I've made quite a few improvements since then...

@h2holt: i've actually been doing something similar to what you suggested....i trawled deviantart and conceptart.org and just made a folder full of concept art that i liked and just started making things from it...really helped free up my brain...

so much so that....we have an update....

Old 03 March 2013   #15
Yup, i checked it out. You have improved alot since then. I think your Ford model is the best of the lot. What brushes are you using for the hair of the ford model because its really nice?

edit: nice update btw

Last edited by gyarados : 03 March 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Thread Closed share thread