HMC MINI-Chalange#37:Femme Fatale! Gyarados- Lara Croft

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Looking nice. Maybe a little yellow. I like the hair color, but it's still missing some shine.

I don't know if it fits with your vision but maybe she could use a little dirt or some scars. I'm not suggesting deep grotesque scars, but those light (long healed) scars might give her a little sense of history. If you end up doing the full body definitely scar the knees and elbows.

03 March 2013
@h2olt : Thanks for your continued input. Ive maxed out the specularity for the hair material, but i dont think its enough. i guess iam going to have to add another level or intensify the specularity in post.

Yeah iam going to be adding scratches and blood I think it will help cover things up too. I will make sure the scar those areas you suggested.

I found a nice tutorial for it: http://zivcg.com/galleries/bloodknight/index.html

I worked on the gun texturing:

03 March 2013
Looking nice an dirty those gunz!
Specular?

03 March 2013
gonna keep it short on mobile and its bed time.yes.using spec map

refined tanktop started texturing...weird lines

03 March 2013
That is looking really good Gyarados, I mean really good.
Is the ripping at the bottom some type of clip map?
wyattharris.com Dig it!

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: That is looking really good Gyarados, I mean really good.
Is the ripping at the bottom some type of clip map?

Yeah its an opacity map. I also emboss the map and use nvidia's normal map filter so it doesnt look too flat at the edges.

03 March 2013
This is some great stuff man! Love the detail with the threads still showing in the ripped part, not just a hole.

And the gun looks awesome aswell.

03 March 2013
@PKT thanks. I think opacity maps are a nice solution to give the appearance of complex geometry that would normal take some amount of time to model out. There is another method which seems to produce a more 3d effect here , but i dont think i have the time to fiddle around and try it out.

Anyway more misc props.

Starting to do the pendant in zbrush dynamesh at the moment. I had a chance to use dynamesh subtractive mesh for the cutout, pretty neat feature.

outstanding/unfinished models:

boots
pendant
watch
gun holster
trousers
bloodied wraps

Changes that need to be done to the figure:
New UVs and textures
Change the head
Scaring/blood/cuts
New hair

optional:
bow
pickaxe
quiver and arrows

03 March 2013
another miscellaneous item, the watch. I based this off the expedition watch .

03 March 2013
gyarados, what i see is absolutely amazing so far!
and i am SO jealous of how you can do the hair.
I discovered this challenge here today and i'm so anxious to participate, but i guess i would never get done the hair so nice, i never made it to deal with hair so extensively.
anyways, what you've done is SO nice! it inspires me

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Skadivore: gyarados, what i see is absolutely amazing so far!
and i am SO jealous of how you can do the hair.
I discovered this challenge here today and i'm so anxious to participate, but i guess i would never get done the hair so nice, i never made it to deal with hair so extensively.
anyways, what you've done is SO nice! it inspires me

you are too kind, most of the time i dont know what iam doing.

So I made some progress on the face, changes made:
  • Added some scratches and dirt ( still an early wip)
  • Made the face about 10% longer and in addition the nose about 5% longer and smaller in width.
  • Added in another specular map for the sweat from the forehead and overall face.
  • Refined the lips region ( I will make it more "full" and add more gesture in the next iteration)
  • Trying to put the pendant in. (needs a better jade material, string and integration)

Also, this will be the final resolution because things are start to break down any higher. I have followed the tutorial, http://nipo1987.blog46.fc2.com/, for the sweat/wetness.

I hope to complete the body, head and new hair style by the end of this week.

03 March 2013
Looking awesome keep up the good work.

03 March 2013
This is looking great, I can't wait to see it all come together, the details put into the accessories alone is inspiring.

The cut across the nose is looking pretty brutal. Which is not to say that it's too much, but it looks a little out of place on the otherwise healthy (if a little dirty) face. It almost looks like it's out of nowhere, the cause of it seems a little fictional. If it's a blade cut like from a machete then i would expect a little lined up cut on the cheek or eye socket (either side not both), if it's an impact from falling and hitting rocks I'd expect a bit of bruising around the gash, maybe even a black eye or one of those hemmoraged eye vescels. Any of these suggestions might be too much and could stand to detract from the face but they'd all be worth a try if you want to stick with the gash.

Bruises and scars have a definate story to tell, i'm not sure what happened to averil lavigne in the picture below, but the images alone go a long way towards describing her night.

03 March 2013
@h2olt thanks again. I will keep in mind your advice and continue to play around with the scratches and cuts till it looks right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iam starting to work on the second hairstyle, this one is more problematic because its longer and has a several hair clumps which seems to be very difficult for me to do. I have tried searching for tutorials, but havent found any decent ones. Maybe someone who has experience with hair in 3dsmax can help.

edit: deleted the new hair because it looked like shit. I do not want to congest the thread with more crap so i will append it onto this post.

Last edited by gyarados : 03 March 2013 at 08:03 PM.

03 March 2013
An update.

Random things that i learnt:
its possible to create a single UV map for multiple objects. So the previous assets ( the gun, watch and walkie talkie) have seperate uv maps per object which means alot of wasted space. If you UV each object and attach them they share the same space.

Displacement maps
Well i finally got them to work, kind of. For the pants i tried using a displacement map. I tried vector displacements, and although it gave better results there were grid like artifacts on the mesh... not sure why. So, i ended up using grayscale .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still alot to fix and finish.

Thread Closed share thread