Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedomatic01
This is coming along very nicely. Very good render. Your shaders and lighting are quite nice. Are you using mental ray and SSS?

Its Vray with vrayfastsss2 material.

An small update not much besides fixing issues with the integration of the eyes and eyelashes and the shadows. Also testing out my new tablet. For some reason the head is looking more like the texture projection.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

I have started to work on the clothes. Its something iam really struggling on at the moment, but it is still early days. Iam gonna go search for some tutorials on modeling the boots out and get something done on Sunday. Also, check for some cloth sculpting tutorials.

-Added gloss for lips

Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
Airflow
(212) 555-2368

portfolio
Robert Angol
Head Of 3D
Orchard Post
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Airflow Send a message via Yahoo to Airflow
Looking really good. Not quite Lara like but more realistic so it's fine. Vray skin looks great.

MY HMC

Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Hey all, so ive modeled the boots. It was quite fun to do and didnt take long. I tried using some of the newer

features in zbrush such as panel loops for some of the separate parts of the boots. Also, insert multi-mesh for the

zip and some extract mesh operations.

One thing iam struggling on however is the hair. Ive tried to do some mock up test, but its not yielding good

results. Any help?

I have also made some changes to the head. tweaked the ears, gave the eyes more of a slant to give some character and some overall tweaks. Iam also in the process of changing the skintone to a lighter complexion.

I still have some accessories to model out, but they shouldnt take very long. I still have to retopologize things later though.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Sweet, I haven't had a chance to use the zippers other than testing yet. Love the IMM tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyarados
One thing iam struggling on however is the hair. Ive tried to do some mock up test, but its not yielding good results. Any help?

Do you mean fibermesh in ZBrush? If so than it just takes patience and a lot of work. I haven't posted anything new in a while because I've been working out the hair myself. I'm hoping it gets easier the more I work with it. So far that is the case. Best thing is to divide the scalp area into separate polygroups and then you can select fibers by polygroup just like polygons.

If it's not fibermesh but still in ZBrush, make a new subtool and sculpt away in dynamesh. No real trick just same as before, patience.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Sweet, I haven't had a chance to use the zippers other than testing yet. Love the IMM tools.

Do you mean fibermesh in ZBrush? If so than it just takes patience and a lot of work. I haven't posted anything new in a while because I've been working out the hair myself. I'm hoping it gets easier the more I work with it. So far that is the case. Best thing is to divide the scalp area into separate polygroups and then you can select fibers by polygroup just like polygons.

If it's not fibermesh but still in ZBrush, make a new subtool and sculpt away in dynamesh. No real trick just same as before, patience.

Thanks for the advice. I think i will try out the dynamesh method you suggested and use graphite modeling tools to do poly strips since in max theres no make live option and EP-curves like in maya. Iam working with hair and fur in 3dsmax. In the past i have tried using fibermesh to export curves, but there are always lots of short splines which causes problems with the interpolation.

The new zbrush features are pretty cool. Very useful and time saving.
got the gun uv'd and modeled.

Last edited by gyarados : 03-05-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Wow, super photo real, great stuff!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #23
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scote

@Scote : thanks for the site, its full of good refs especially the final fantasy stuff.
I like this one http://www.creativeuncut.com/galler...omo-poster.html

@Kanga : I wish. It looks like shit the more i work on it, but for the sake of finishing something i have to.

I started on the hair it has to be one of the most frustrating things to do. I know why so many people choose to skip doing it.

I left the render on this morning to finish... without the head rendering takes about 30mins with the head 1+ hours!? I may have to redo the whole thing because there appears to be some bald patches maybe an interpolation issue?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
PKT
3D Modeler

portfolio
Per Kristian Tvete
Norway

Dude, that looks great!
What program are you using to make the hair?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...l-added-Pg-3%29

Go through that whole thread as there are zbrush settings for hair. Rendering in zbrush is pretty good these days especially becuse you can render out separate passes.You might want to try that too. I found getting computer hair in max to appear to have volume the most difficult so just messing with a sphere in a blank scene helped get the best settings which can help drop your render times a lot. The lighting is also important for render times.

What are you unhappy about in your model?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #27
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...l-added-Pg-3%29

Go through that whole thread as there are zbrush settings for hair. Rendering in zbrush is pretty good these days especially becuse you can render out separate passes.You might want to try that too. I found getting computer hair in max to appear to have volume the most difficult so just messing with a sphere in a blank scene helped get the best settings which can help drop your render times a lot. The lighting is also important for render times.

What are you unhappy about in your model?

@PKT its ornatrix https://www.ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/max/ornatrix/
I think BLUR studios uses it.

@Kangta : Thanks for the thread gonna try using the technique when i redo the hair again. I will try some sphere hair balls tommorow to see what works... sounds like a good idea. Iam unhappy with the face. i cant seem to get it looking right. It looks like the mcdonalds clown.

I took off them two fringe hairs because it was overlapping very badly with the tied hair. Going to try do the hair again.Going to keep the ponytail though.

Rendering of just the tied back hair.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
h2olt
Disciple of the Gray Poly

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Send a message via AIM to h2olt Send a message via Yahoo to h2olt
This is looking absolutely stunning. the face looks great and the only problem is see with the hair is it's lacking any lustre. I've only ever stood from the sidelines with awe when people do sim hair though.

THe face looks great. Clown? I don't see it. maybe she's a little pale around her features. I think any weirdness is just that she's expressionless. This is going to look great when you pose her face.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
Seravi
Veteran

portfolio
Jules Kent
Mt. Mochimochi, Bhutan

What you're presenting here is without a doubt top notch work. The only problem I have with it, is that I just can't get myself to see her as Lara Croft from a character-look/casting perspective. In my book she currently looks to sweet/harmless and would need some facial editing to not just look like another pretty face dressed up as "Tomb Raider" for Halloween. Not sure what exactly to tell you to do to fix it, though.

That said, this is really great work so far.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

@h2olt: thanks for the critique, really helpful. i have managed the fix the problem with the pasty skin and overly saturated reds it was the specular/reflectivitive map causing it.
I have also added some color the the hair and increase the specularity, although the ponytail doesnt appear to have gotten any color for some reason.

Yeah... its the eyebrow sharpie and pasty skin that was making me think it looked clowny. it reminded me of a particular episode of the simpsons .

@Seravi : I will see what i can do. Thanks for your opinion.

Changes:
Added colour.
Moved hairline up.
Fix the general shape of the hair.

Last edited by gyarados : 03-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Thread Closed share thread