HCR MINI-Challenge #37: Femme Fatale!- Tweety - "Ada Wong" Resident Evil

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
Hey, you are progressing well. I noticed the edge loop connecting the ear is sticking out abit too much, but i dont think that matters since you got hair.

speaking of hair are you modeling just one strip and duplicating it or did you model each one out? it looks good

Old 02 February 2013   #17
If its the one sort of at the middle of the ear going around the back - it has been sorted.

The hair is sort of both. I made one strip, copied it, then edited it. I don`t think there is a single one that is the same.

Old 02 February 2013   #18
Excellent progress mate. You are banging this out quick.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2013   #19
The joy of not working at the moment.....But I am a quick modeller for the basic stuff - adding the details will slow me down.

Maya Hair pt2 - Errr this process is so long and boring - all this work for a good set of cures. Had enough for today so will finish the hair of tomorrow now.

Just going though the rules for the comp and just want to make it clear that I am following a tut for the hair (as I have never done hair like this before) but it is a completely different style, colour and model. All the work is my own. Just so I don`t step on any toes there.

Old 02 February 2013   #20
OK can anyone explain to me why I`m going this result. Looking on-line there is nothing to explain this (that I can find).

Old 02 February 2013   #21
Well turns out the lighting played a big part of the problem - but still not rendering the hair strands just these horrid clumps

Any help welcome !

Old 02 February 2013   #22
Sorry i dont use maya, but i had a similar problem with ornatrix. It had something to do with the scene size (units). i fixed it by setting the hair width to be some crazy small number before it rendered properly. Try setting your hair width to a much lower value.

Old 02 February 2013   #23
Originally Posted by gyarados: Sorry i dont use maya, but i had a similar problem with ornatrix. It had something to do with the scene size (units). i fixed it by setting the hair width to be some crazy small number before it rendered properly. Try setting your hair width to a much lower value.

Don`t be sorry you seem to be right on the money. but the lowest values I can use is 0.001 and even at that value its still not right - going to try and scale everything up

Old 02 February 2013   #24
OK turns out its is a scale problem - going to have to go back and scale everything up as I just can`t get the look I want at this scale. (currently 0.001 hair width and its still too thick). It`s not looking to bad for a first pass, but much more work is needed.

Old 02 February 2013   #25
cool iam glad you were able to fix it. It looks nice already. I was wondering if maya hair works with mental ray? or are you rendering it scanline?

edit : i just saw the pics again lol so does mental ray have a hair shader?

Last edited by gyarados : 02 February 2013 at 07:33 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #26
Ok cleaned up the scene - renamed and grouped everything - Got rid of anything not needed - resized the model and restarted the hair from scratch.

Before the resize the head worked out to be 4cm (whoops) but rescaled now I have her at about 1 meter 80 cm. Found a site that states she is 5 foot 7" which if I add her heals would be about right.

This is the images straight of the bat - Looking good and not too far of my early results. Need to fixes in some areas like the parting and the missing bits towards the rear of the head. My biggest headache I think is the bottom of the hair..... So here`s to tweaking.

Render time has gone up to 4 min a image (2k x 2k) but I have upgraded the settings quite a bit.

Originally Posted by gyarados: cool iam glad you were able to fix it. It looks nice already. I was wondering if maya hair works with mental ray? or are you rendering it scanline?

edit : i just saw the pics again lol so does mental ray have a hair shader?

Urmmm I guess so. I just created the hair and hit render at this stage if I am honest. It is mental ray and the settings for the hairs look is in the hairnode with the other options for scale and twist ect ....

But thanks again for the idea about scale - a 4 cm head - what was I thinking !!! Hehehehe

Old 02 February 2013   #27
Originally Posted by tweetytunes: But thanks again for the idea about scale - a 4 cm head - what was I thinking !!! Hehehehe
Hehe, always good when the solution makes sense.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2013   #28
Ok so no updates in a few days - was because the model was getting on my nerves. I know why - the full body. So I have made my mind up that this will be a portrait shot. This way I can show of the detail in the hair (as alot of work has gone into that) and I can foucas on getting the face details right.

UV ing at mo - but still working hard.

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Very nice work. What reference image did you use for that?

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Cool model great stuff. Looks like you nailed the face. The legs are going to be tough to box model I reckon.

Edit, ah so, didnt see the second page. You are going portrait.

Thread Closed share thread