HMC #37 - Toph Bei Fong

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #46
I think the only issue with this is your mixing styles, it should work out having photorealistic cloth dynamics, because of the realistic hair. Anyway great stuff getting the dynamics to work.

MY HMC

Old 04 April 2013   #47
Hello folks.
So I'm reaching the point in the sculpt that always gives me problems. Going from the base or basic form to more details. I could really use a critical eye to point stuff out for me before I divide again.

For this sculpt, she is wearing clothes that bare her arms and legs so I'm not adding details to the body. I think all I'm going to need is from her hands/feet up to just past her knees/elbows.

What I've done since the last update is shorten her hands and feet and made them stubbier. The base mesh was adult size and I hadn't updated those yet. Slightly changed the finger positions to where they should be. I had pulled them apart so Dynamesh wouldn't kill them. Slight sculpting on the arms and legs, not much. I had contemplated muscling her up a bit but unless it's an odd case, kids just don't have muscle definition.

Here is the overall pose.

First column is the right hand; the middle pic is the pose position. Second column is the left hand; the top pic is the pose position. Man these are mixed up.

And the feet. Sad to say, the pinky toes are casualties of Dynamesh. I fixed them as much as I could before I couldn't stand it anymore. I think next time I'll spread the toes out to try to preserve them better. The pose pic is at the top. First column is right and then the left.

Please feel free to suggest anything. I may not be able to get to everything and some things may be personal preference but I appreciate any help.
Thanks
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #48
O'k obvious standouts, Butt cheeks, thigh definition, blobbyness.
I would examine some ref in this pose, your butt is currently positioned in a (feet together) straight standing pose. You need to block out where the muscles go, I would do it now before going onto the next stage, blobbyness. I would smooth the whole mesh till its surface looks tight, make adjustments on a lower res, then come up to do detail. Its getting there, its a difficult entry.

MY HMC

Old 04 April 2013   #49
The stance looks really solid like she has a very good grounding. Maybe the rib cage would spiral a bit more instead of just facing the end angle. Maybe some of those classical sculpts where the figure is really turning like you have would aid my vague explaination

Nice progress man!

Old 04 April 2013   #50
Originally Posted by Airflow: O'k obvious standouts, Butt cheeks, thigh definition, blobbyness.

Lol, you guys so crazy.
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: For this sculpt, she is wearing clothes that bare her arms and legs so I'm not adding details to the body. I think all I'm going to need is from her hands/feet up to just past her knees/elbows.
Yeah the body is pretty messed up but as it won't be seen I'm not too worried about it. Could you take a look at the arms and legs? Much appreciated.

Finished her anklets, just basic coloring for now. I am loving Bullet soft body.

Gave her some eyes Kanga! The ZBrush renderer has only basic controls for transparency and no refraction that I can tell so the cornea is half way there at best. I was able to adjust the transparency enough to give them Toph's blind eyes. After that posed so they appear to be looking at nothing. That was tougher than it sounds in ZBrush.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #51
Well you can at least fix the butt. The arms look cool, but the toes need work, gotta be rotated so it looks like they are rotated to connect with the ground. Sort of
_
\_ shape.

MY HMC

Old 04 April 2013   #52
Yes, you are right. Both feet and the toes needs to be connected to the ground better.
Thanks
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #53
Pants, basic color and a first pass sculpt in ZB.
Spent most of the time today adapting Bullet on larger cloth items.

wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #54
Looking good. Did you rig the character, animate then get the cloth dynamics, the pose looks like a sort of karate chop, I would emulate the animation in the cartoon, if you have, cool beans.

MY HMC

Old 04 April 2013   #55
Lets see: yes, yes, yes and yes.
The move is that crazy Southern Praying Mantis style Toph uses but yeah its essentially a Karate chop.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #56
Man I really like the way her tunic turned out. Too bad it'll be mostly covered by her smock.

And the last bit for tonight. Should be able to finish the smock early tomorrow and then I can move on to details and painting.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #57
Looks great Wyatt!
You have a nice swish movement there

Old 04 April 2013   #58
Very nice work here, Wyatt!

I haven't played with Bullet yet, but really have to do that some time. Say, are Bullet cloth and rigid objects mutually interactive/affecting each other as they would in the real world or do they have to be simulated more or less in separate passes for ie cloth on top of cloth?

Cheers!

Old 04 April 2013   #59
This vid shows rigid and deformer objects together. (The rigid may be kinematic I forget)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H0XuXQCaQg

I'm no expert at it yet but as far as I can tell all parts of bullet interact with each other.
For cloth on cloth I think I did this wrong but made it work. I used objects with depth instead of flat polys. I believe that caused the self collision to go berserk but I'll have to test it more.

Anyway, to make it work I simulated each piece of cloth separately, first the pants and tunic as deformers over the kinematic body and belt mesh. Then saved the modified version out to be used as a kinematic mesh for the smock. I'll explain it better once I get all this finished up. Back to work for now.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #60
movement and design are looking good. I just think this may be a lot of time spent on the cloth sim when the sculpting seems rough still. That sweeping motion is looking good. good luck to the finish.

Thread Closed share thread