WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Almost done.
I've helped my wife with her hair a few times before. One thing I'm sure everyone's noticed is that with long hair there will always be those few strands that refuse to do what they are supposed to. I had to add some wispies to give it a little more realism and a good transition to the head.

1. So that is what the purple border was for. I masked different spots at different levels to create small patches of hair at different lengths. A lighter mask will produce a shorter strand. This hair wasn't too much different from Fibers160 from the lightbox.

2. It didn't take too much tweaking. Used the move and spiral brush to shape them around the ears and to break up any repeating.

3. Without the headband you can really see the difference between the techniques I used on the bangs vs. the back. It definitely got more refined.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #32
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Final update for the night. Polypainted the headband and base color for the pompoms. I need to go back and refine the bun. I realized while it looks good from the top, the underside got considerably less love and that's the side facing the camera.

I hope this information helps you guys. I know a lot of you were asking about hair.

I'm a massive fan of Avatar so I realize this is not Toph's real hair but the hair from the cartoon is just not possible to make a real hairdo out of. I hope you like the reinterpretation.

Here are some stats:
Bangs: 10,000 fibers
Back: 50,000 fibers
Bun: 50,000 fibers
Wispies: 200-1000 fibers

10-13 segments per fiber + 4 sides per fiber=grand total of 1,785,022 polygons just for hair. Yowza!
Still performs very well, good night.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #33
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Thanks there is definitely some useful information. How did you get the hairs to clump was it the groom magnet brush? I cannot seem to find this brush is it a custom one?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #34
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Hehe, its the name. It's not Groom Magnet as you would expect. Its GrooMagnet so its the first Grooming brush. Same with Groom Strong, its actually GroomerStrong so I kept losing it in the list.

When I did the front I used GrooMagnet and a huge brush. Then I used a single broad sweeping stroke on each section. If you adjust the falloff, at the end of the stroke it will leave a trail of individual fibers like the tips are separating from each other. Looked cool but not what I was going for.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
h2olt
Disciple of the Gray Poly

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Send a message via AIM to h2olt Send a message via Yahoo to h2olt
Looking good.

If anything this has convinced me I need to get a couple tests of the hair done. I wasn't planning on doing fiber hair, but given the caliber of competition on this thread I don't think my usual dynamesh sphere practice will cut it.

I think I'll head to bed now and watch some zbrush fiber videos.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #36
kromano
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kyle Romano
Surrey, Canada

Great choice Wyatt,
easily one of my favourite characters of the series. You're really capturing her attitude in that model. You've reminded me that I haven't done anything in over a year... Keep inspiring me, damnit, I could use a jolt of gettin something done!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #37
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Some inspiration

Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #38
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromano
Great choice Wyatt,
easily one of my favourite characters of the series. You're really capturing her attitude in that model. You've reminded me that I haven't done anything in over a year... Keep inspiring me, damnit, I could use a jolt of gettin something done!

Meelo! Well if I'm the one that must light the fire under your buttocks than so be it.
I may change the smirk a bit but so far I like it.

Thanks Scote.

Tonight's update.
This is the body before retopo. 93,000 dynamesh polys.

And here it is after QRemsher and a little GoZ. 47,000 and much better flow. Her body will be covered by clothes so I didn't leave many details there. Man I really love QRemesher. ZBrush is systematically removing all of the tedious parts of modeling I hate.

Updated a few things since the last post. Reduced the size of the bun considerably and rounded the facing side using smooth brush so it doesn't have that edge like before. Also added fibermesh to her pompoms.

Retopologizing is definitely the last hurdle that would keep me from finishing. With that out of the way I can focus on the stuff I like. I should be able to get close to finishing tomorrow provided I don't slack off.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #39
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Dammit Wyatt! You got me standing in this pose in my studio. What will the neighbors think?
Nice position. I cant get my shoulders more than 90 degees and they squarely face the front as I squeal HIIIII YA in a girly voice. I reckon you should check the twist on the upper torso.

The head is not over the feet in the front view so she is falling back a bit.
Nice stuff man.
Cheerio

Last edited by Kanga : 03-23-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #40
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Dammit Wyatt! You got me standing in this pose in my studio. What will the neighbors think?
Nice position. I cant get my shoulders more than 90 degees and they squarely face the front as I squeal HIIIII YA in a girly voice. I reckon you should check the twist on the upper torso.

The head is not over the feet in thew front view so she is falling back a bit.
Nice stuff man.
Cheerio

Ugh, you're going to make me post my reference photo of me doing this pose aren't you.

I'll double-check the position. I know some bits got moved during retopo.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #41
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Ugh, you're going to make me post my reference photo of me doing this pose aren't you.

Predictable is my middle name!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #42
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

So a weekend worth of work and this is what I have to show for it. Honestly looking at it I'm not that impressed with the output either but it is significant. Allow me to explain.

LW 11.5 introduced Bullet soft body dynamics, previously it was just the hard body stuff. I've been wanting to learn it so I've been planning it as part of this project from the start. I spent most of today and a little from yesterday learning how to use this new feature. Some of the mistakes I was making that took hours to resolve just seem stupid now but it was all for the best. Basically, I built a simple proxy of the bracelet and some collision geometry to act as the arm. The entire body model is just too complicated to calculate on. The metal ring is solid, the leather moves a little and the cloth moves... well like cloth. I then parented all of that to the body model in LW and animated it in the chopping motion stopping just after the impact. Well first I learned that that much force destroys the cloth object. It's just too much or I don't know how to do it properly yet. So I instead created a much smaller twist and impact and this is the result. Other than a few tweaks to fit it on the arm exactly right this is raw Bullet. I must say, as impressed as I was with Bullet on the Lego challenge the soft body is just as good and calculates super fast.

So while I didn't get much done today, the rest should go much faster now that I understand it better.

Good luck with the rest of the challenge everyone.

wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Its good to see someone else trying out new things to them. I actually want to learn to do cloth sims and rigging on my next project. It looks as if you picked it up pretty fast, but it does look a little frustrating to use.

Is it possible to see the geometries (cloth and collision object) you used for the sim?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #44
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Umm, I'll see about it. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm working on the other pieces so I'll whip something up with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyarados
It looks as if you picked it up pretty fast, but it does look a little frustrating to use.

The only reason I figured out this much was because it was Bullet. You could get results in LW's old dynamics system but it was so slow I usually lost patience before I could learn it. Once I got this initially setup I was testing new settings and rigs every few seconds. Bullet kept up with that.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #45
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Tonight's work. So the weekend work is paying off. Instead of this one taking a whole day it was only about an hour and then 2 more for me to tweak and mess around and not accomplish much more.

As requested, on the left is the bracelet base. A metal ring, leather upper and cloth lower, all separate objects that react independently. On the right is the proxy for the arm. It was a capsule primitive that I modified to match the arm. The flaring at the ends keeps the bracelet in place while its whipping around. I like that everything in Bullet makes sense, I mean common sense. Trying to keep everything in place, make the arm bigger so the ring can't slip off.

And here is the final result in ZB. I divided this one once less than the right bracelet so it doesn't have quite the details. That is on purpose for now.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread