HMC #37 - Toph Bei Fong

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Its possibly a good time to retopo the face so you can adjust things better. I tend you use dynomesh to get the base blocked out. Then retopo to be able to have subdivs or levels. Its coming on, just missing that anime sharpness.

MY HMC

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Nice work Wyatt!
Super challenge doing a baby face. Great work so far

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Thanks guys.
Man I need to update. Made quite a few changes but I'm still tweaking the hair so I was waiting to finish that first.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #19
I really don't want to show it in this state but I haven't updated in a while. Everything is very much WIP. Her bangs are halfway done, you can see her right side hasn't been touched yet. The idea is I'm catching her at the moment of impact so her weight has shifted and everything should be flying off to her left side, hair, clothes, jewelry etc. Check the ref.

Fattened up her cheeks, smoothed out the angled parts of her face, made her chin a bit pointier like the cartoon and gave her a temporary expression. It's in a layer so I can still modify later.

This is the BPR render using the new "hair" material in ZBrush. The bad thing is I like the look of the ungroomed hair. The hair I've styled seems to lose that natural sheen and just look like lines. IDK, may have to start over again with polygroups. One thing I don't like about most hair sims I've used, they always default to that ragged hairline and then expect you to straighten it out afterward. I'd love for them to have a default "cut" setting since most of my characters have seen a pair of scissors before.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 03 March 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
the ends of the hairs look nice. Did you use noise modifier for the length beforehand? thats one thing i hate about fibermesh once you messed up the initial settings you cant change them on the fly.

You could try to use Doubleshade material with hair 1/2 as the base and play around with the specular of the second material.

btw do you find that sometimes using some of the groom brushes (groom long/short) will make the hair go crazy?

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Nice one Whyatt.
Did you use balls for the eyes? If not might give a bit more of an orbital look

Keep em comin!

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Thanks guys.
Originally Posted by gyarados: the ends of the hairs look nice. Did you use noise modifier for the length beforehand? thats one thing i hate about fibermesh once you messed up the initial settings you cant change them on the fly.

You could try to use Doubleshade material with hair 1/2 as the base and play around with the specular of the second material.

btw do you find that sometimes using some of the groom brushes (groom long/short) will make the hair go crazy?

I'll keep the doubleshade material in mind.
Styling in fibermesh is like trying to comb the wind, it might move but its not going where you want. I've been taking screenshots this whole time so when I'm done I'll put everything up but in the mean time, yes because of the way I was styling, the Groom brushes make the hair jump all over. I mainly use masking and the usual brushes to style. I used move to position the hair under the hairband and when I tried to use any groom brush it would shoot the hair back to it's original position like I hadn't done anything. Didn't matter what the mask was either.
Originally Posted by Kanga: Nice one Whyatt.
Did you use balls for the eyes? If not might give a bit more of an orbital look

Keep em comin!

I plan on doing that but not yet.

So question, obviously with the oversized eyes I can't make an eyeball as it would be bigger than the head. Any tips on what shape I could use to make it look right and still fit inside the head?
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #23
I loved this series, it was such a shame what they did to the movie.

That aside Wyatt, this is looking great. Carry on!

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Thanks Robert!

Just a preview before the big upload. I am very satisfied with the way her hair is coming out now. All that's left is the giant bun. The alfalfa spike is a placeholder so I know where I want the bun to go.

Question, I had a plan of how I was going to do the bun. Basically sculpt the shape and then somehow convert that into a fibermesh. Well that's not possible. You also can't import splines or curves or anything else that I'm aware of. So, any idea of how I can approach this. I'm thinking I'm going to have to actually sculpt the fibers into the shape but I really don't want to try that if possible.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Originally Posted by WyattHarris:
So question, obviously with the oversized eyes I can't make an eyeball as it would be bigger than the head. Any tips on what shape I could use to make it look right and still fit inside the head?

Put in a sphere and cut it off where it pokes out I guess. If you were going to animate the pupil you could have it's pivot point in the same place as the eyeball and give it a rotation constraint so it doesn't move outside the head.

How odd I never encountered this

Nice progress man keep on truckin'!

Cheerio

Old 03 March 2013   #26
I just tried this out with the same model as in the video and it seems to work quite well. Use morph target guided fibermesh.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
I was trying to create an actual hairstyle and in researching I found most of the Cosplayers of Toph craft a few wigs together with styrofoam batting for the shape. Functional, but not a real hairdo. I finally found this video by StarAstralis, Toph Cosplay Hair Tip, and this was exactly what I was looking for. She was very helpful by the way. The Earth kingdom is based on Tang dynasty China which used similar techniques as the video so instead of giving her that puff of hair from the cartoon I decided to make it a huge bun.

Bangs
1. I started by masking off the portion of the head to serve as the scalp. Most of the tutorials I've seen recommend using a low subdivision level but I wanted to get a very accurate hairline based on the video and my kids so I used the highest level. Most hairlines have that little dip in the back.

2. I made the 'scalp' into a new subtool and used "SliceCurve" to divide the scalp into parts. The thin blue border has a purpose later. I divided the scalp at Toph's hairband as that was the most obvious point to me.

3. I imagine Toph being covered and surrounded with Earth all the time has pretty course hair so I started with Fibers160 as a base. After that I just tweaked the preview until I found settings I liked. (3a) If I had to do this part again I would've divided the bangs scalp into polygroups but I didn't think I'd need it, wrong. I started by using the Move brush to stuff the hair under her headband. This was a mistake. Every Groom brush I used after popped the hairs back to their original position. So I tried to make due with Move, Translate, Rotate and Smooth to clean it up. Use smooth lightly because it can cause the hairs to stretch way out of shape.

4. After I got half-way across I realized this method sucked so I decided to reset and try every Groom brush. That's when I found "GrooMagnet". Try it, it's amazing. It's the closest brush to an actual hairbrush. I usually use a huge brush size when I'm styling, sometimes the slider is all the way up, seems to work better for me.

5. The first half before I reset.

6. The second half after.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #28
So I took what I learned on the bangs and used that for the back.
I used the 'Hair' material for BPR renders. Looks really good out of the box.

1. I divided the back scalp into more usable sections.

2. I changed the initial length to 1200. In hindsight that was too long but ah well. I found gravity to be the easiest method for the big styling. Facing the camera, whatever side is pointing down goes down when you adjust the gravity setting.

3. After that is was a combination of the "GrooMagnet" brush for the big styling, "GroomerStrong" for large adjustments and then Move to tuck the hair under the handband and rotate to get a good curve. And about 3 hours of tweak, undo, tweak, undo to figure out how best to accomplish that. The bun goes on the spike.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Wyatt, you invented speed hair!

Old 03 March 2013   #30
I was feeling pretty good about fibermesh at this point. My plan for the bun was to create a torus shape and somehow convert that into fibers. The problem is you can't do that, d'oh! So with my master plan gone I had to find another method.

- I found out you can export fibers into any program (including LightWave!) but you can't import any fiber or curve data back into ZBrush.
- GoZ was also not an option because you simply cannot convert anything into fibers. Or if you can, I couldn't find it. I'd love to be shown otherwise.
- I tried using a morph target guided fibermesh but that only creates straight fibers in the shape of the morph target. Actually I just thought of using a toroid as the morph target... may have to try that later.

Keep in mind, all of this effort is to avoid me having to hand sculpt the bun.

Before I fell asleep last night I had an idea. Create a little bun shape, have the hair rediate out and let gravity do most of the styling. First I tried a flat circle but I discovered that the fiber growth is based on the surface normal. With the flat circle the fibers only grew straight up no matter what gravity was set to.

So...

1. First I created this little shape. Almost perfect but there weren't enough divisions. It was just too many fibers to handle at once.

2. This shape was the money. The settings were almost the same as before with a little tweaking.

3. This is the preview created. You will notice that the fibers are lining up perfectly with each other. Again, fibers radiate from the normal so with this shape being totally even the fibers were as well. I guess having only used them on head sculpts before I never noticed this.

4. This progression shows how the bun came together. It was mainly due to creative masking. Under Tool->Masking you will find "Mask by Fibers". The curve allows you to mask the tips or the roots depending on what you need. With the roots locked down it was much easier. I started with the lowest ring and used the scale transform tool with multiple masks to slowly shape it into a donut. It was actually much easier than I thought it would be. Next is the second ring, then the third and finally the top. I had to move each ring down into place to mesh with the previous, I also rotated each section to break up the repeating patterns. To accomplish both things I needed to deactivate automasking. Under Brush->Auto Masking is the option "Auto Mask Fibermesh". It is enabled by default so that your fiber roots stick to their spot. With it off you can move them anywhere.

5. This shot is not significant but while I was moving the bun I stopped there and that just made me laugh.

6. Bun complete, BPR render using Hair material.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread