THe next challenge will be...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
regarding me asking about Princess Leia before, I would be making her at her current age (for this: Getting the Gang Back Together (Star Wars) )....

think she'd be a fit for the challenge? or as I said before, a bit of a stretch?

02 February 2013
Dunno what to say. Femme Fatal, does not bring images of aged heroines with cinnamon buns stuck to their head to mind.
Try something more badass. Maybe some of the bountyhunters, that one from AOTC, or the female sith in the Clone wars stories.

Asajj Ventriss

MY HMC

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by robo3687: regarding me asking about Princess Leia before, I would be making her at her current age (for this: Getting the Gang Back Together (Star Wars) )....

think she'd be a fit for the challenge? or as I said before, a bit of a stretch?

I see what you're up to Paul! Trying to shoehorn a personal project into the HMC eh?
Hehe, no problem here. I'm doing the same thing.

But... Carrie Fisher is pretty tough to look at these days. Saw her recently because of all the Star Wars news and man, drugs will mess you up.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I see what you're up to Paul! Trying to shoehorn a personal project into the HMC eh?
Hehe, no problem here. I'm doing the same thing.

But... Carrie Fisher is pretty tough to look at these days. Saw her recently because of all the Star Wars news and man, drugs will mess you up.

heh...more like trying to shoehorn Star Wars into every HMC...lol...

she's actually not looking too bad these days, compared to a few years ago, she's lost a bunch of weight and is growing her hair out again....presumably for EPVII...

not to worry though, i thought she'd be a stretch....now to decide if I'll do something else for the challenge or just focus on the other thing....we'll see...

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: But... Carrie Fisher is pretty tough to look at these days. Saw her recently because of all the Star Wars news and man, drugs will mess you up.

Actually, for 56, she's not that terrible. I mean, all of that drinking and chain smoking hasn't been great for her skin, but I've seen worse.

There's a double standard in Hollywood. Men become distinguished as they grow older. They're employable til the day they die. Women get older and become "hags", practically unemployable on the big screen.

For every Helen Mirren, there must be 4 or 5 Morgan Freemans. In Hollywood, a woman hits her prime by 25. By the time she's 35, the parts start to dry up - unless she's willing to play the older sister or mother to somebody hotter and half her age. It's no wonder why many actresses either end up moving to the far more "forgiving" small screen of TV or simply retiring before they hit 40 or 50.

Don't get me wrong. I want to keep seeing Bruce Willis and Sylvester Stallone kick ass until they kick the bucket, but I think I also want to see Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman for years to come too.

As I get older, it strikes me just how much it sucks. It's unfair. When Star Wars and Jedi were filmed, Carrie Fisher was 19 and 25 respectively. It's unrealistic for anybody to expect her to stay 25 forever. It's unfair of us to forever keep that gold bikini image of her in our pervy brains too. We all get old. I'm okay with that. Our bodies never stop changing, for better or worse. I'm okay with that too.

As an artist, one of the things that bothers me most is how we actively reinforce this double standard. Our CG women have to have their plump, perky boobs. They've got to dress like some 14 year old's wet dream fantasy girl. CG women have to be, in a word, perfect. And, if they're not, they're clearly the villain. It's the same with comics. Music too.

I'm not expecting to change how people see things. I can't change what sells, knowing full well that, yes, the market is largely made up of horny 14 year old boys or old dudes who act like them. I just think.... Old is okay. Carrie Fisher isn't perfect, but how many of us will be when we're almost 60? Sorry that the real woman doesn't live up to fanboys' fantasies or childhood memories.

Last edited by cookepuss : 02 February 2013 at 03:37 AM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Airflow: Dunno what to say. Femme Fatal, does not bring images of aged heroines with cinnamon buns stuck to their head to mind.

About the hairdo, I agree. About the older Femme Fatale, I disagree. I'm not really into older women, but I certainly see how they can fit the role. We tend to use the offensive term "cougar", but some older women really can do the alluring and dangerous thing quite well. Given the right makeup, costume work, and such, I think that Fisher really can play the role again - either as an elegant diplomat or bad-ass general type.

02 February 2013
Ah you misunderstand, it's not her age or weight. I've got a couple relatives that blizted their brains with drugs as well and in the interview I saw she has that same slow witted half-frozen look about her. Kinda sad, but it is good to see her and Mark Hamill getting back in shape for the new film. Harrison Ford will probably out live me.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by cookepuss: ...or bad-ass general type.
I like that idea. Out of the 3, her character was the only one raised from birth to be a leader. The other 2 just got thrust into it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: in the interview I saw she has that same slow witted half-frozen look about her.

Could've been a bad interview. I remember seeing her in the past year or two. She seemed to be fairly witty and on the ball. She clearly didn't have studio makeup, but she wasn't exactly Mumm-Ra either. I'm not saying she didn't have a few bad years (or decade), but I really do think that she's up to the task now.

Quote: Mark Hamill getting back in shape for the new film.

He was never really in bad shape per se. I just think that he's maybe gotten a little comfortable
doing voice over work and bit roles. Glad to see that he's still working though. I remember briefly meeting him when I was a kid. I saw him on Broadway where he was performing in Amadeus. It was right after his accident. He looked so different that, in my kid mind, I was convinced that he'd never work again. Glad to know that I was wrong.

Quote: Harrison Ford will probably out live me.

The real question remains, "How much longer will he continue to work?" He's almost 71. Clint Eastwood's 82 and Morgan Freeman's 75. Ford could easily be working for another decade plus. My concern is that even though his output remains high, the quality of his work has kinda dropped off in recent years. I've got high hopes for "Ender's Game" and whatever role he may or may not play in the next Star Wars. I just want him to go out on a high note, something to wash away the taste of Indy 4 and Cowboys VS Aliens.

But this is all OT anyway....

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by cookepuss: Given the right makeup, costume work, and such, I think that Fisher really can play the role again - either as an elegant diplomat or bad-ass general type.

well that's the angle I was going to go for...so who knows...I might just chuck her into the challenge...and the ANH bun hairdo will be nowhere to be seen...it'd be something closer to her ESB and ROTJ looks...

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by robo3687: well that's the angle I was going to go for...so who knows...I might just chuck her into the challenge...and the ANH bun hairdo will be nowhere to be seen...it'd be something closer to her ESB and ROTJ looks...

I don't know if you have any of the art books for the prequels, but there are some amazing concept hairstyles for Padme that went unused. Some would really fit either concept for an older Leia.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by cookepuss: I don't know if you have any of the art books for the prequels, but there are some amazing concept hairstyles for Padme that went unused. Some would really fit either concept for an older Leia.

i have many many star wars books...almost too many....lol...i'll definitely have a look through em....

02 February 2013
you should update your cggallery.. it's old stuff everywhere

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by cookepuss: About the hairdo, I agree. About the older Femme Fatale, I disagree. I'm not really into older women, but I certainly see how they can fit the role. We tend to use the offensive term "cougar", but some older women really can do the alluring and dangerous thing quite well. Given the right makeup, costume work, and such, I think that Fisher really can play the role again - either as an elegant diplomat or bad-ass general type.

Baadass general type, yup. Distinguished and elegant diplomat, no.
We demand baadassery.

MY HMC

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Scote: you should update your cggallery.. it's old stuff everywhere

geez...i really should....i hadn't looked at it for years...now I see why....lol..

Thread Closed share thread