HMC #36 - Hollywood Dream Machines: The Bluesmobile

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
HMC #36 - Hollywood Dream Machines: The Bluesmobile

Hello. After a lot of thought and finally some time I decided to enter my first challenge. Eventhough one month has allready passed, I hope to finish it in time.

The car I am making is 1974 Dodge Monaco, police version, like the one used by Jake and Elwood Blues.

Just one question since this is my first challenge. Do I need to apply anywhere else or is this WIP thread sufficent?

Last edited by MihaV : 12 December 2012 at 01:57 AM.

12 December 2012
That'll do, good luck.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

12 December 2012
Just a quick update. Couldn't get really exact blueprints or ortographic shots of the car, since there is a lot of versions of Dodge Monaco, even from 1974 alone. I am using a lot of photos that also have slight variances in them. That means that final car will have to be a mix of all of them since I am not from the US and don't have any particular knowledge on these cars. Also white paint on a car is not the best for recognising shapes. Anyway here it is:

12 December 2012
Very cool but it appears from the angle that you are missing the lower crease (3 total one top of wheel well- one middle wheel well and one bottom wheel well, you have 2 upper and bottom) But aside from that it looks great.

12 December 2012
I am not shure I know what are you talking about. Are you referring to the wheels itself or the body of the car? Everything, especially the wheel and the tire is stil pretty much wip. I'm gonna post some new images once I have some visible progress. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

12 December 2012
The body- the crease along the side- look at the pic you provided- it runs just under the P1.

12 December 2012
So here is new update, outside mainly done appart from some small details. Then I move to the inside.

CKPinson - I think the crease is there it's just not apparent from this angle. Anyway you can judge from these new images.

01 January 2013
New update.
Interior is comming along, after that I''ll add final pass for small details on the exterior such as plates, screws, etc. After that maybe do a quick texture pass and setup the scene and materials.

I have a question though. I am quite a beginer on high poly modeling in non-sculpting program and I would just like to know how do you guys work out topology in cases like this:

The way I have it now, doesn't produce proper smoothing, and if I don't end edges in some way they produce creases I dont want. I have seen some models in this chalenge where it's done nicely without tripple edge and I don't know how it was accomplished.

Thanks in advance for any answers

01 January 2013
When a point shares too many edges there are ugly creases created and that's why most of the time people tend to stay away from ngons unless its on a flat part of their geometry.
This is what i try to do and there are more than a few ways of achieving this.

01 January 2013
Ok, so no trick then. I will just have to learn to model smarter. The problem is that it is on surface that is curved slightly even in all directions. But still, from the image you showed me I think I can optimize hole in the body a bit more.
Thanks!

01 January 2013
Yep it just takes a bit to get used to.

01 January 2013
So here is the next update. I think this will be camera and enviornment for the final shot, but I would appreciate some feedback, especially on the camera since I am not familiar with sports illustrated.

Now I have to finish some last details on the model, create dirty texture and setup proper materials and lights. Not finished yet, hope I'll have enough time till monday.

01 January 2013
Do you use a HDR environment? I would recommand, when we do car rendering we use HDR.

I think you can try a more "dynamic" camera angle. More agressive (we are the police model team )

Or that angle but a front point of view could be nice.

You know.. like more "lowangle shot". But That will hide your building in the back.

01 January 2013
Cool, thanks for advice.
I don't know if you watched the movie, but this shot is intentionally similar to the first shot in the movie where you see the car. I just changed it a bit to put more focus on the car. I will definitely try to make it more agressive.

As for HDR, yes it's not in yet, but as I said I haven't setup proper materials yet. It's also the part that worries me a bit since I don't have much experience with render engines (the ones that are not real time), but that's what google is for.

Anyway, thanks again

01 January 2013
Remember this challenge isnt about textures and they wont be part of the voting process

Thread Closed share thread