HMC #36 - Dark Angel's Motorcycle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
HMC #36 - Dark Angel's Motorcycle

The research alone for this one has been fun so far.

For those of you who've never seen Dark Angel, here's the Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Angel_(TV_series) The show only ran for two seasons (2000-2002), but it was a real favorite of mine. This cyberpunk show was the brainchild of James Cameron and starred a young Jessica Alba as Max, a genetically engineered super soldier. In that show, Max traipsed around from one sector to another on a Kawasaki Ninja.

Here's the tricky part and confusing part. WHICH NINJA?

Even though the show claimed it was the Ninja 650, that bike wouldn't exist for 6 more years. To make matters worse, they used like 3 different Ninja models throughout and thought nobody would notice.

Season 2 used a 2002 ZZR-1200. Season 1 used a straight up 2000 Ninja ZZR-250. They also used a ZZR-250 and modded it to look like an older 600-series ZX-6R. They also heavily modded a Taiwanese imported Ninja 450, which was made to look like a 250 with the longer back tail elements of the 600.

None were the fabled Ninja 650.

The funny thing is, I don't think anybody ever noticed the shell game with the rotating bikes. I didn't. Makes sense considering how much damage these things must've taken though.

So, when you look at Max's "Ninja 650", it looks like a bunch of bikes, but one specific model. It's definitely not a 650. It's not exactly a 250, but really close. And, sometimes, it's a hacked 450 made to look like a 650, made to look like a 600.

For my part, since they're so close, I'm going to start with a 2004 ZX-6R and rework the front and rear into the ZZR-250. I've got the service/repair manuals for that - at least for the `96, which is also almost identical.

The actual modeling part should be easy. The tough part? Reverse engineering the mods that they made. I'm going to have to sort through all 43 episodes this weekend and strip them for screencaps.

Last edited by cookepuss : 11 November 2012 at 06:50 AM.

11 November 2012
You know, I used to like Dark Angel but for the life of me I can't remember what it was about overall. She kinda had a Crow thing going on up in the Space Needle and maybe she was hunting for what made her... idk.

Well whatever, nice bike, good luck.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

11 November 2012
The basic premise of the show was that Max (Alba) was a genetically enhanced super soldier living in a post apocalyptic, post EMP not too distant future Seattle. Bred by the Manticore program, she was the 5th generation of these super test tube babies - also called X5s. Max was subject X5-452. When she was like 12, Max and the other X5 kids broke out of Manticore. Now, 7 years or so later, Max works as a bike messenger by day, occasional thief by night, and reluctant hero working for the hacker/revolutionary "Eyes Only". In exchange for helping him, Eyes Only is helping Max find the other kids who are still on the run from Manticore.

It was a fun show. The 2hr series premier was written by James Cameron and, typical of Cameron, it was BIG. It was actually going to get renewed for a 3rd season when FOX yanked it in favor of Firefly, which didn't even last one full season. FOX didn't have enough money to support two expensive sc-fi show and chose one over the other. Riding high off of his Buffy/Angel cred, they gave the nod to Whedon, but it didn't pan out so well. The show had worse ratings and was constantly preempted or played out of order.

From what I hear, at least as of early this year, there were even rumors about Alba reviving the character for the big screen. Considering that she was just 19 when the show debuted, she's certainly still young enough to do it. Could be interesting if it pans out.

As for this entry, I'm going to have to wait a few more days before I start. It's been a terrible day. My next door neighbor rang my apartment bell frantically at about 7am this morning. Apparently, one of her 23yo twin daughters still lives with her. That daughter died in the middle of the night. No idea why yet. She wasn't sick or anything. On the straight & narrow too, a graphic artist by day. It's been a madhouse here since I woke up. She & I weren't friends or anything, but I've known her since she was about 12yo. It's shaken up everybody on my floor. Got a funeral to attend and my bearings to get back. Anything I had planned for this bike this weekend will have to get put off about a week. Like I said, it's been a sh***y day.

Last edited by cookepuss : 11 November 2012 at 06:54 PM.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread