HARDCORE MODELING #36!: Holly Dream Machines: The Autobots

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Cool HARDCORE MODELING #36!: Holly Dream Machines: The Autobots

I really want to see about tackling the 1984 Autobots though I'll most likely wind up modeling one or two pending how much free time I have. I will post some reference pics later tonight.

Last edited by maje3d : 11 November 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Good luck, but you should ask to change your title threat, they need to be the proper format.. at less the number and title of the challenge

Old 11 November 2012   #3

So, I'm thinking of starting off this shabang with the Lancia Stratos Turbo, alternate mode for the Autobots' brilliant and talented mechanical engineer, Wheeljack! Though this in itself might be a challenge as the only orthographic views for this car that I know of are kind of pixelated.

I'm not sure who will follow as there are quite a few guys that might be neat to tackle: Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, the Lamborghini Twins; Mirage, Hound, Bluestreak and Prowl, Ironhide and Ratchet, Jazz, etc. And of course Bumblebee.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
awesome a stratos!
but the blueprints shouldn´t really be an issue.
a quick google search turned up a couple of hires prints and imo they´ll do

cheers

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thanks TwoOneOne. I saw those prints before, but they're actually of a different stratos variant from what Wheeljack is. Hopefully, I'll have the back end built soon enough. I'm trying to tackle this guy with spline cage modeling, since my poly-modeling attempts haven't really been that great.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
SplineCage WIP

I had made several attempts at this guy trying to use poly-edge modeling techniques, but honestly, I've never been great on getting things to line up properly, so I'm just going to bust out a spline cage to do some sub-patching with to get the main forms down and accurate, and then move on to the detail work. Hopefully, this guy'll be finished during the Thanksgiving break, modeling wise, and then I can get cracking on texture maps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splineCageWip001.JPG (46.4 KB, 13 views)

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Update

Meh, this doesn't quite seem to be going as well as I had hoped, even with the spline cage acting as a guide to help with figuring out polyflow.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
some more progress....

Old 12 December 2012   #9
A bit of an update. The body work is nearly done, I started the wheels and will probably finish up the tires and other details soon before getting the remaining exterior details done and then trying to go for the interior.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get to texturing soon as I look forward to finishing up Wheeljack. I'm not sure if I'll have time to start another car model after him though. We'll see.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread