HARDCORE MODELING #36!: Holly Dream Machines: 1964 Aston Martin DB5, "Goldfinger"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Hey Sergey, download sibl and a couple of sample environment files and then use the carpaint shader. Should be a good starting point. Adding a couple of reflector panels will act as a good studio setup.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

11 November 2012
cool man. I discover something

11 November 2012
Thanks guys, i'm trying to research this portion more to understand how to go about it in Layout of LW3D 9.6. As i've noted before i love modeling and constructing something but texturing and shading is a language i haven't studied :(. I've taken out the manuals and going to do a bit of reading for a few days!

11 November 2012
not to invade your thread, but wyatt, when you say "the car paint shader" do you mean the standard mental ray car paint or is there a car paint shader optimized for sibl somewhere?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by mlager8: not to invade your thread, but wyatt, when you say "the car paint shader" do you mean the standard mental ray car paint or is there a car paint shader optimized for sibl somewhere?

Sergey is using Lightwave so I was speaking of LW's built-in carpaint material.

Originally Posted by Surgeuk: Thanks guys, i'm trying to research this portion more to understand how to go about it in Layout of LW3D 9.6. As i've noted before i love modeling and constructing something but texturing and shading is a language i haven't studied :(. I've taken out the manuals and going to do a bit of reading for a few days!
That's a good place to start. To get good results in the texturing you are going to need to light the scene properly otherwise the reflections you get never look realistic. I've found that HDR lighting produces really good results. Setting up HDR in LW isn't too bad but save yourself the headache and use sibl. In a nutshell it's a 1-click hdr lighting setup and it was originally developed for LW so it couldn't be easier. The result you get is a new scene (so it doesn't screw up the original) with controllers for the position of the "sun" light and the rotation of the image itself. Start with one of the outdoor environments and experiment.

It's cool how good it makes even the default texture look but once you add the carpaint, it's really going to pop.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Sergey is using Lightwave so I was speaking of LW's built-in carpaint material.

Gottcha, thanks for the clarification

12 December 2012
I tried out SIBL and my laptop didn't quite enjoy the rendering. So i guess i'll have to read up on it even more and hopefully i'll have a beauty shot with some HDR..
The attached image is just me playing around with the node editor and with some LW Presets.

Last edited by Surgeuk : 12 December 2012 at 02:21 PM.

12 December 2012
Went ahead and modeled most of the interior because the windows are see through after all, the DB5 never had tinted windows so can't be changing that...

gages need to be done though

and started the scene.

12 December 2012
Started detailing the building... btw if you are familiar with London this is the Birmingham Town Hall. Since 007 is British it's only natural for his car to be in that environment.

12 December 2012
Here are some more clay renders.
The Town Hall is completely finished. Will try to add some displacement maps to the brick to give them a more random look instead of looking so perfect. Although all the bricks are different sizes for the most part.

And with the car. The wheels are a seperate .obj file so it still has the presets from earlier renders.

The render times are ridiculous for my laptop (which btw isn't really designed for this sort of high poly goodness...) This last render took 2.5 hours and i noticed i made the mirrors transparent not the windows ... :doh:

12 December 2012
I think this will probably be my final render. Maybe spin the car another way but i'm 95% happy.

*Moved this image below for final render

Last edited by Surgeuk : 01 January 2013 at 07:37 PM.

01 January 2013
HMC #36 - Hollywood Dream Machines - 1964 Aston Martin DB5 "Goldfinger"

After a brutal mission for MI6, James Bond relaxes and visits the Birmingham Town Hall in Birmingham, UK to listen to Shirley Bassey performing.

Details: Kind of hard to say how many hours went into this project. But a ballpark figure would be somewhere around 100 hours for modeling. This is not counting render times because my laptop is not built for this... Had a blast recreating the Aston Martin DB5 and I know the interior is not fully finished but I will be short on time in the next few days and the final renders don't need the interior anyways.

Also for some odd reason I am fighting with QTVR in 32bit version of Lightwave 9.6 and the errors i'm getting aren't popping up anywhere online. So i know i still have a few days and if by chance i find a solution then i will edit this post and add a QTVR for a turnaround.

Final
1600x1200

Orthos

Last edited by Surgeuk : 01 January 2013 at 07:49 PM.

01 January 2013
Did you do the under parts?

01 January 2013
Nope haven't modeled the underside. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I mean i know most cars have a somewhat same layout but each car also has its own quirks... looking through refs i've never come across any underside pictures...

01 January 2013
This has nothing to do with the final renders but had a few extra hours and decided to go ahead and finish up the interior... Interior is about 80% done.

Thread Closed share thread