HMC #35 Sports in Motion - Basketball acrobatics

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
HMC #35 Sports in Motion - Basketball acrobatics

Hi all!

I was browsing the forums last night when I thought I would have a look at the challenges forum, which I havn't looked at before, and I noticed that a new challenge is starting, so I thought I would have a go! I havn't done anything like this before so if I'm doing it wrong please let me know!

I think this is a really cool topic for me, especially since I saw this challenge right after I had come home from playing basketball so I think that had to be my subject matter.

I think nba players are some of the most athletic players of any sport in the world. Speed, strength, quickness and general athletic ability. And I think one move in particular, when done well, shows all these attributes. That would be the up and under/round the world/double clutch layup when receiving contact from a defender, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLiKys2V2Iw. I also think that this move makes for some of the best photos in basketball. The way a player contorts their body and the height they can get with many of nba players leaping ability is just so impressive.

So my idea is to create a still of the 2 players at the moment of contact, displaying the mid-air struggle. I have never done a proper likeness of an actual person, so I don't know if I would make say, Michael Jordan vs Charles Barkley or just make 2 characters. But it will be a guard (around 6' - 6'4) against a centre (7'). I think the first step is to plan the camera angle and body position of the characters.

Made up a quick reference sheet, to kind of get an idea.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
welcome, it'll be good to have someone else from this time zone in the challenge

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo3687
welcome, it'll be good to have someone else from this time zone in the challenge

Thanks robo. Funny though, both Australian and both choose American sports, go figure. No wonder we only have 1 gold medal this year...

Old 08 August 2012   #4
First post is a challenge thread, not bad.

Excellent, I was debating a gorilla dunk but chose something else so good to see someone is doing basketball.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2012   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
First post is a challenge thread, not bad.

Hehe, why not right? We'll see how it goes

Old 08 August 2012   #6

Did a little bit of work on figuring out the pose etc. Not really at all at a finished pose, but getting there. Trying to figure out what to do with the arms mostly. Really just playing around with different positions, trying to have a good balance of reality and what looks good.

Crits very welcome.

Last edited by websterandwebster : 08 August 2012 at 09:48 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #7
Looking good! Can't wait to see new updates of this. I'm a huge basketball fan myself

Old 08 August 2012   #8

quick go at camera angles....dunno

Old 08 August 2012   #9
Ah okay, easier to tell what the action is with the goal in place.

Maybe tilt the shooters head a bit more but right now is also good.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2012   #10
Did a bit more sculpting/posing of the bodies. Quite interesting trying to figure out where all the muscles go in the specific poses, looking at a lot of reference, and myself :P Also looking at the clothing, gonna be interesting sculpting the folds in the silky material, especially cause they are kind of defying gravity.

Old 08 August 2012   #11
Best olympic move ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

If you are doing basketball move in Olympic.. this is the one, as Carter just jumps over the opponent..

Old 08 August 2012   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thablanchh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

If you are doing basketball move in Olympic.. this is the one, as Carter just jumps over the opponent..

Not doing the olympics or any basketball league in particular. But yeah, thats a classic. One of the best dunks ever in basketball, absolutely crazy.

Old 08 August 2012   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thablanchh

Hehe, I don't speak the language but I could tell exactly what those commentators were saying.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2012   #14
Did a bit of head sculpting for what will probably be the guard. Havn't done an African american before. Kind of referenced a couple of different players to get features that I liked.

Old 08 August 2012   #15
great start you got there. i like the shorts you added in the rough sculpts

As I see it now i don't see that shot being possible to make, maybe its just to early in the shot to tell. Maybe, have the shooters arm around the blockers arm as in a hook shot with the ball in mid air towards the hoop. Then again these are creative decisions that are up to you in the end.

good luck and keep it up

Thread Closed share thread