HMC #35: SPORTS IN MOTION!: A Moment of Victory (Gridiron)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #46
Originally Posted by robo3687: @MrWhippy: The mesh I bring into max is the retopologised mesh but up one or 2 subdivisions. The average size of the ones I'm bringing in is around 20k points.

And I was going to do a rig and stuff in Max but realised I have absolutely no idea how to...lol...so at this stage the plan is to pose it in Zbrush using Transpose Master and then maybe sculpt it a bit more from there and then bring it back into max as I have been.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It seems there are still lots of options in this workflow depending on how you want to work.

I was guessing maybe you would just do the posing in Zbrush, then export + sub-d for a bit more res in Max purely for the final touches/rendering environment/passes etc.

Can't wait to see more. Once again an inspirational piece of work. Thank you for sharing

Dave

Old 09 September 2012   #47
Shoulder Pads

I didn't use any one set of pads as reference and sort of pulled bits and pieces from various sets. There's only a really small bit of them that will end up being seen so I just wanted to get the basic shape down.

I started modeling out one half in max and then brought it into Zbrush.

I did some sculpting, and added a few pieces via extractions.

Then I mirrored the half over to get the full set of pads.

I'm unsure about how big I've made them, and I think once I've got the jersey all done and can look at the whole thing I'll be able to adjust them better.

Jersey

I will be making the Nike Elite 51 Speed jersey.

I again followed my same workflow I've used for the other clothing items so explanations won't be as detailed this time around.

Started by extracting a chunk of the body and pushed it around to fit roughly over the shoulder pads and be in the basic shape of the jersey.

Then sculpted it out (after capping the holes) to fit closer to the shape of all the underlying stuff.

Smoothing it out and marking out the panels

Old 09 September 2012   #48
Drawing out the panels, and then the topology.

Retopologised mesh, split into polygroups for the panels.

Reprojected sculpt

First pass at detail sculpting...many wrinkles I'm not overly pleased with but it'll do for now.

and using photoshop I added the patterns to the mesh, only this time I did them as part of the displacement (as opposed to an additional bump in the Normal Bump)

and here's a look at the clothing so far

Old 09 September 2012   #49
Gloves

I'll be making the Nike Vapor Jet 2.0 gloves, I've also got a pair of these so that should be a big help.

I took the hands and did a fairly high res extraction, which I actually dynameshed and then sclupted out to be a little more 'glove like'. I then roughly set out the colouring and panels, and then cleaned it all up a bit.

Then I set about retopoligising it. I first did a "sculpting" retopo so that I could get the most detail, as well as get some extractions out for various pieces (like the palm, and wrist strap).

Next I sculpted it out to a pretty much finished level and redid the colour.

Then through a bit of retopologising on top of an extraction, followed by a bit of experimenting with the new transpose modeling in ZB 4r4 I made the wrist strap.

and everything together.

I then realised for simplicities sake (an ironic statement by any definition) I had to retopo the glove again, this time incorporating everything.

Even with reprojecting it in stages there was still a fair amount of cleanup required due to the wrist strap. But it got there in the end.

Old 09 September 2012   #50
oh year , nice job , clear work flow , congrats , and good luck for the challenge !

Old 09 September 2012   #51
Brilliant work Paul, absolutely brilliant.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09 September 2012   #52
Paul, your discipline in the challenge is very very impressing!

Old 09 September 2012   #53
so how many polys are you looking at so far for the total model you are bringing into Max? 100k or more?

Rigging in Max with those layers (that is granted you are keeping all the pads and under geometry actually under and not removing) would take some time (at least for us normal folk LOL)

I commend your efforts- regardless of final pose this is stellar.

Old 09 September 2012   #54
(No relate) Robo I just go to the replica costume forum and saw you threat. lol We have commun interest Great work by the way on that files

Old 09 September 2012   #55
Progression is Amazing

Looking at the progression of this model is truly amazing. I love how you are putting the same amount of amazing detail in every single object. I cannot wait to see the final product!

I don't know if I might have missed where you talked about this, but have you chosen a final pose for the finished image?

Old 09 September 2012   #56
long time no post, I've still be working on it though, just have to organise some pics to post up...

-------------------

@KaDDD,WyattHarris,gazulet: thanks

@CKPinson: well the Zbrush model all up is around 45-50 million points and what I'm bringing into max is all up around maybe 150-200k.

I've actually abandoned all ideas of rigging it in max for the reasons you said (time, layers...etc) not to mention I don't know the first thing about rigging in max...lol

I've since posed the model in Zbrush (and should have some pics of that in the coming days) and then resculpted a bit and brought that mesh back into max.

@Scote: the Iron Man stuff? it's been ages since I did that...lol...I'm amazed there's still people using them.

@Dudebot13: i have indeed chosen a pose and all will be revealed soon...

Old 09 September 2012   #57
keep it going because you have worked hard on this character and it's looking great

Old 09 September 2012   #58
Heads up!
HMC #35: SPORTS IN MOTION!: One week to go!
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09 September 2012   #59
well i should definitely be able to get the modelling 100% done on the player...at this stage I'm not going to bother with much of a scene....

the last couple of weeks have been a bit hectic with a death in the family and then my back went completely and i couldn't sit at a computer...but i think its at a stage now where i can sit long enough to get it done

Old 09 September 2012   #60
Sorry to hear about all of that. I hope your doing better.
Take it slow and don't wear yourself out on our account.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread