Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

HMC #35: SPORTS IN MOTION!: A Moment of Victory (Gridiron)

HMC #35: SPORTS IN MOTION!: A Moment of Victory

Chosen Sport: American Football/Gridiron (I'll probably just refer to it as football form hereon in)

Idea: The plan is not to recreate a specific player but rather create my own. For the challenge I'll be creating one image, a 'moment of victory' as the player is running down the field to score a game winning touchdown.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to produce a model that I'll be able to rig and pose several different ways (and I guess animate as well) as I'd like to make several images (not until after the challenge though, unless I have time) covering my created guys entire 'career' from college to the Hall of Fame.

Reference 'mood board'

Last edited by robo3687 : 08-01-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

nice gathering.

I'm pretty sure you will do just fine

Old 08-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

I've had this concept of doing a series of images covering a 'career' for a little while now, and I needed to try and find my guy. I didn't want to recreate an existing player so I fired up NCAA Football 13 on my PS3 and created my guy that I would base this challenge on.

So without further ado

Tyvonn Tanner (aka T2, or 'The Judge') is a running back, playing for the Oregon Ducks.

I've been playing through NCAA 13's Road to Glory mode with him for a week or two and will eventually recreate him in Madden 13 to play out his professional career. The real kicker is that this year in Madden they've got EA's Gameface tech implemented so I'll actually be able to import the face I've created for Tyvonn into the game...which is kinda mind bending....lol...

But first I have to create his face, which is what I tackled yesterday afternoon/night soon after the challenge went up.

Here's where it's at currently:

For about 4-5 hours work I'm pretty pleased with it, I can certainly see improvements over my last few attempts at heads, especially in the speed department. I reckon I had the main bulk of the head sorted within an hour, and just spent the rest of the time fiddling...lol...

----------------

I think today I'll try and start on some of the hard surface stuff with the helmet. I have a technique I've been dying to try out. Should have an update later on today.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Oh wow, you really went all in this time. So you can import a face you've made into a PS3 game? How does that work?

And the head looks fantastic Paul. That is super fast.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Oh wow, you really went all in this time. So you can import a face you've made into a PS3 game? How does that work?

And the head looks fantastic Paul. That is super fast.

thanks wyatt, yeah i'm going all out on this one, I'm looking at finally making a run at a CG Award or a spot in one of the Expose books...

The gameface thing works by getting a front and side photo and marking the features and it generates the face for your player. It's usually done with photo's but I should be able to just do a front and side render and use those...

Old 08-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

Helmet Progress

Spent some time on the helmet this afternoon, trying out something new.

You may have heard of Autodesk's 123d Catch (http://www.123dapp.com/catch ), it used to be called Photofly. Basically you take a bunch of pictures of an object and it takes them, stitches them together and creates a reasonably accurate 3d model.

Now I actually own a Riddel Revolution Speed helmet, so I thought I'd give it a try. Basically it didn't work so well, the program seems to have issues with shiny surfaces. The model came out like a bullet ridden piece of cheese.

But it did actually line all the photos up correctly. So I was able to export a scene with about 50 camera's all with a reference image (almost) perfectly lined up. It was like the ultimate set of blueprints, even if every picture didn't match up just right, it seems I'll have enough to model the whole helmet out.

this is the setup in max

should be interesting to see how it comes out...

Old 08-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

well the 123d catch reference method would appear to have worked rather nicely, i finished up the base helmet this morning.

and i also brought the head into max for a quick render

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
depa96
Awesome Member

portfolio
Enrique Poppe
3D Designer
Brainstorm CG Studio
La Paz, Bolivia

Send a message via MSN to depa96
Wooow, it's excellent, I really like this .
Good Luck

Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
MGC
Frequenter

portfolio
Morar Gheorghita
CG Artist
Carioca Studio
Bucharest, Romania

Thumbs up

Excellent start

Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Splinter
Expert

portfolio
John Cruz
Eudora, US

Send a message via Yahoo to Splinter
Really great start! Looks like your already setting the bar for this challenge

Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

thanks guys

i've been a busy little bee this weekend and have made a bunch of progress...should have a post or 2 later on today

Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

Head Progress

Tweaked the shape of the head a bit, he was kind of leaning a little towards a Chad Johnson (nee Ochocinco nee Johnson) kind of look, so I wanted to change it a bit, make him a bit younger looking. I made the lips bigger, pulled them out a little, changed the nose slightly, straightened the brow, softened some of the wrinkles and adjusted the shape of the jaw a bit.

I also did a rough texture and did some quick hair/eyebrows/beard...just trying different looks

EDIT: i am aware how noisy the renders are...a combo of low settings and brightening up a render that was too dark...and being too lazy to re-render...lol
---------
Helmet Progress

Did some work on a few little greebly bits for the helmet.

This facemask clip was a little bugger to work out, after false starting a few times trying to eyeball it I ended up getting out the ruler and measuring every possible angle of it. As I measured I built spline guides and I ended up with this nifty little framework.

from there the modelling was fairly straightforward, just a case of building within the framework while keeping nice clean topology.

and a few more little accessories, including the Riddell forehead nameplate, chinstrap clip and padding inflation valve.

-----

might make a start on a body tomorrow...

Last edited by robo3687 : 08-06-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

Helmet Progress

Made the chincup and chinstrap for the helmet.

and here's the helmet with all the little nick-knacks i've done so far on it.

Shoes

The shoes I'll be making are the new Nike Vapor Talon Elite's

Since I own a pair of these and they're a very complex and involved shape I figured I'd try a combo of the methods from modeling the helmet and helmet clip.

The model that 123d catch generated was again a globby bullet ridden mess, but again the photos were lined up great. So i set about placing a metric crap ton of splines....and after about 3 hours I had this

I haven't gone near the sole yet...i'm going to have to eyeball/measure it or something...

Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

Shoe Progress
started fleshing out the shoe upper

I'm not entirely sure if this approach will work for the shoe as far as producing a finished product...might just end up being an intermediate step...i guess that's what i get for making it up as i go along...lol

Body Progress
I made that start on the body, doing it in a separate subtool for now and i'll join it up later on when I retopo...

i'm feeling like its a little wide and blocky/flat at the moment but I'll fix that up tomorrow....

Head Progress

Not much in the way of sculpting changes, main thing is a new texture and playing with the render.... I got a bunch of reference from 3d.sk and did a test of a head texture. Pretty happy with it so far, even if I will eventually have to redo it once the body is attached...

Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
CrustedInk
Veteran

portfolio
Daniel Rath
Freelance 3D Generalist
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to CrustedInk
like the model. curious how this method of shoe modelling will turn out.
the topo on the helm is nice, only the part between the clip and the hole looks a little bit "not right"...

Thread Closed share thread