SPORTS IN MOTION
Sculpt a character, a diorama, or character series of one or more athletes in a dynamic pose.
The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible deadline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, what program they will be using, the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded/ rigged. But the model will have to be original interpretation of a dynamic scene done from scratch.
A big part of the challenge is that the modeler will have to scavenge all the reference for the animals he or she wishes to model. But at the end of the challenge the final model will have to look like a scene that we might see in a Sports Illustrated magazine.
DEADLINE! MONDAY , OCTOBER 1st 12:00 PM
YOU HAVE TWO MONTHS do the challenge.
There are three ways to participate:
- Single Character You can sculpt whatever creature you wish designed by the featured masters.
- A swimmer doing freestyle
- A Runner finishing a race
- A batter at the Bat
- Classic Sculpture Tribute: You may base your model on a classic Greek sculpture.
- BULLET TIME Scultpure (NEW!) you may follow a Atlete doing an action. Think a Eadweard James Muybridge series of photos of people in motion.
- A diver jumping from a platform
- A pitcher throwing a ball
- DIORAMA: You may the appropriate environment for your atletes.
- A pitcher on his mount
- A NASCAR racer entering his car
- Two boxers going at it
- A kayaker doing a jump on a cascade
- The Cylons inside a Raider
- Captain Blueberry riding his horse
- Tron on the arena
- Creature Series:This type of entry requires you will try to do as many creatures as you can from an individual film.
- Bust :This type of entry requires you will try to a bust of your favorite creature, or a likeness of the masters.
So lets recap....
Sculpt one or more representations of atletes in Motion in a period of2 months . The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible dateline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, and the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded/ rigged. But the model will have to be work of the artists interpretation..
A big part of the challenge is that the modeler will have to scavenge all the reference for the film models. But at the end of the challenge the creature(s) have to look like the one shown on film.
CAN YOU DO IT?
What is the HARDCORE MODELING CHALLENGE?
The idea of these HARDCORE MINI CHALLENGES is to push the modeling skills participants while learning from the past. To get past preconceptions of the limits of digital art. To push digital artists into the world of sculptors & artisans. But we will have variety on these mini challenges. Sometimes we will sculpt a model based on a masterpiece, but on other times we might do Jet fighter or a landmark....
The only thing that will be consistent is the SHORT DATELINES.
At the end of the challenge, the participant should have a finished collection of entries. Keep in mind contest of high difficulty you will have TWO MONTHS to do the challenge, but the rewards, even if you don't win, will be your improved skills in speed and accuracy.
Detailed RESEARCH, and attention to detail are key for ALL entries. Please before doing an entry do your homework.
The best model will be selected by an open vote
for these categories:
- Best WIP thread
- Best Model Collection (2 or more)
- Best Diorama
- Best Model
designed by me.
NEW DATELINE! OCTOBER 1st 2012 12:00 PM
YOU HAVE TWO MONTHS to do the challenge.
CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:
- No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
- You may NOT use a pre exiting models. All models must be done from scratch.
- An artist may change from SINGLE CHARACTER, BULLET TIME, or CHARACTER SERIES or DIORAMA whenever he or she wishes.
- Because of the HUGE number of files WIP are NOT encouraged, only final entries
- WIP thread should be posted on the Hardcore Modeling Challenge forum and should follow the following naming convention: HARDCORE MODELING!: SPORTS IN MOTION: <<TYPE OF ENTRY >>
- For each image you should post:
Title of Model Completed[Model Images]
- For each model 3 Orthographic renders ARE REQUIRED. These renders are for TOP, SIDE, BOTTOM views and a BEAUTY RENDER.BEAUTY RENDER:
Final RENDERS should be rendered at 1600 X 1200 OR 1200 x 1600 in JPG format.(Post only as link) A smaller 800x 600 OR 600 x 800 image should be posted on the threads.
Ortographic renderings ARE REQUIRED for EACH entry and should be rendered at 800 x 600 OR 600x800.
- This means you need to submit renders of the from the Front, Sides (2), Back, Top and bottom.
- TURNTABLE ANIMATION (VOLUNTARY).
- I recommend that in order to aid the voters a turntable rendering of the model. It would have to be done in QuickTime or Windows Media at a resolution of 600 x 400 OR 300 x 200. The render might be done as a Quickshade or Beauty Render.
- Please add a brief text description about your piece.
- The artist also has to post total length of time it took to do and program used.
- Future topics for hardcore Challenges will be picked at random from the list on this >>thread << (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
- Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
- Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
- Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
- Eadweard Muybridge + Sports
- LIFE MAGAZINE