Nuclear heatwave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2007   #16
Allright man....rest ur eyes....Goodnight....

Old 08 August 2007   #17
Hi,

I totally forgot we were shooting the explosion scene for the video this effect will go into today (which by the way was awesome!), so I didnt have any time to work with it.

What about you? Did you mess around a bit?

www.helmet.no

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Old 08 August 2007   #18
Allright.....Well I did mess around a bit but didn't get to change much of anything....played around a bit with the parameters and added a ground to see how the dust would react with the ground.So check the file please.....

http://download.yousendit.com/44FAF8406B5DCD62

Regards,
Subhro

Old 08 August 2007   #19
any chance to get the maxfiles for max8?

kind regards,
anselm

Old 08 August 2007   #20
Ummmmm......I dont know dude!I only have the max 9 version and the file was originally done in Max 9 cause when I first downloaded it....It wouldn't open in my Max 8!

Regards,
Subhro

Old 08 August 2007   #21
entrancea,
I checked your file, and it looks great
I had to speed down the turbulence frequency tho, since is was too jumpy for my taste... want the wind to change directions slowly.

Im will be checking what the differences are between yours and mine tonight. Maybe you could tell me a bit more about what you changed and why?

Anyways, my next problem is to get the shockwave right; I want dust to fly off the ground as the wave travels out (like an expanding circle of dust).
I've tried using the Pbomb force, but it seems to effect all particles at once.

The Pbomb does not make a shockwave that travels out from the center, but instead immediately sends all particles away from it, no matter the distance from the center. The only way i can make them form a wave is to tweak the decay
I dont want the wave to decay, I want it to travel like ripples if you drop a ball in a pool of water. As the ripple travels out it kicks up dust from the ground and turns all surfaces to ash. (nuke heatwave)

any ideas?

www.helmet.no

Old 08 August 2007   #22
Thanks a lot man....but all in all.....nothing much have I changed so....it's almost the same.....and regarding that shockwave.....Hold on to that thought ......I'll send you a file tonight and I'll tell you how to do a shockwave....It will be only done with a ground,a Pflow emitter and a speed mark operator.....Thats all....

Cheers,

Subhro

Old 08 August 2007   #23
Do you use Afterburn?

Old 08 August 2007   #24
Allright,check this file...this is just an simple shockwave to get you started.

http://files-upload.com/files/43202...e_Shockwave.max

Last edited by entrancea : 08 August 2007 at 02:56 PM.

Old 08 August 2007   #25
For the dust rising from the ground....you can use almost the same process as the truck.....You can make all the particles originate from the ground and set a wind force and make them fly from the ground over time.....use afterburn shaders for desired smoke effect...you can see a sample of smoke going off from the ground from my site...Its not actually a real site but more of a place to upload some of my experiments....

http://www.cgdiary.org/rivo_viro

Old 08 August 2007   #26
As for what I did for the Max file of the truck I gave you...I just added a ground deflector to make the particles bounce off the ground as that is what should happen and I just played around with the parameters a bit but nothing other than these were added....

Old 08 August 2007   #27
look at this video around 1:40 you will see what your looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljSUt-ufZI

Old 08 August 2007   #28
Quote: Anyways, my next problem is to get the shockwave right; I want dust to fly off the ground as the wave travels out (like an expanding circle of dust).
I've tried using the Pbomb force, but it seems to effect all particles at once.

Just a thought, new flow, emit from a animated torus linked to afterburn.

EDIT: Better yet this is a great excuse to buy fume... link the object source/torus to fume instead

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 08 August 2007 at 07:53 PM.

Old 08 August 2007   #29
Thanx for all the replies! Im at school now, but I will check all this out once i come home.

www.helmet.no

Old 08 August 2007   #30
The key to an effect like this is the details and the understanding of the physics behind whats happening.

Nuke light his the objects and they ignite, i recommend a fume object emitter with a high wind. Or particles with noise drag and follow curve animations. Box 3 can also be used to get really nice flows around objects by offseting the position of the particles based on distance to the surface or geometry inclusion.

Then the shockwave

just add details, a couple of afterburn systems, and lots and lots of debris. Debris of the glass, the metal, the wood, and anyother materials you can think of, stone maybe...do a morph target for your geometry and crumple it. Smoke, everywhere doing lots of things.
About 10-15 different 'effects'. Put in a lot of different things to stimulate your viewers eye, so they can't focus on just one thing.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Post some animations!

Thread Closed share thread