CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk 3ds max > Particle Flow
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #31
amckay
VFX Consultant
 
amckay's Avatar
Allan McKay
VFX Sup / FX / Compositor
Catastrophic FX
Santa Monica, US
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,292
Send a message via Yahoo to amckay
Cheers bobo, happy ny to you too dude

yeah been on the beta for a few months, in case you didn't know I'm working with you guys again but from my studio, so doing a bunch of effects for a couple of shots you're working on using Krakatoa for some funky particle effects

Great work mate! Hope to catch up with you guys at Siggy this year, been a while!

-Allan
__________________
Allan McKay
CG Society Instructor

http://www.allanmckay.com/
http://www.fumefxtraining.com
 
Old 01-05-2007, 05:13 AM   #32
Bobo
Krakatoa Guy
 
Bobo's Avatar
Borislav Petrov
Product Specialist
Thinkbox Software
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by amckay
Cheers bobo, happy ny to you too dude

yeah been on the beta for a few months, in case you didn't know I'm working with you guys again but from my studio, so doing a bunch of effects for a couple of shots you're working on using Krakatoa for some funky particle effects

Great work mate! Hope to catch up with you guys at Siggy this year, been a while!

-Allan


I knew you were on the project and on the beta, prepare for a new build tomorrow
It will blow your mind!
__________________
Bobo
 
Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #33
Bobo
Krakatoa Guy
 
Bobo's Avatar
Borislav Petrov
Product Specialist
Thinkbox Software
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,317
Just a note that the image shown on the current CG Workshops page was created not without some help from Krakatoa:



This is, of course, the Red Sun just about to blow away the planet Krypton.
__________________
Bobo
 
Old 01-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #34
Glacierise
precise defab worker
 
Glacierise's Avatar
portfolio
Hristo Velev
MD/FX artist
Bottleship VFX
Bulgaria
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,231
Rockin'! I damn love such shots (elemental fury )
 
Old 01-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #35
gavinb
me me me...
portfolio
Gavin Beard
Plymouth, United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 443
Send a message via MSN to gavinb
Thumbs up

Wow, this is all looking so awsome, must get back into particles
 
Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #36
bealobo
burninating the city
 
bealobo's Avatar
portfolio
Beatriz Lorenzo
VFX TD
Los Angeles, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 832
Wow, looks amazing!

Might be a bit early but, are you planning to release a demo for trial?
and another question is about shading liquids, as I'd be able to import realflow bin files, will it be some volumetric shading similar to metaballs?
__________________
www.bealobo.com

Last edited by bealobo : 01-08-2007 at 05:52 PM.
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #37
Bobo
Krakatoa Guy
 
Bobo's Avatar
Borislav Petrov
Product Specialist
Thinkbox Software
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bealobo
Wow, looks amazing!

Might be a bit early but, are you planning to release a demo for trial?
and another question is about shading liquids, as I'd be able to import realflow bin files, will it be some volumetric shading similar to metaballs?


All our software (which in this case means our ONLY software, Deadline ) has a demo mode.
We have not discussed whether we will give a full featured version for 30 days like Max, or a feature-limited version forever (like a hard-coded limit of particles or something). But I am pretty confident there will be a trial version from the beginning.

As for shading, we are rendering points, but that does not mean we couldn't shade surfaces of volumes. This is till a WIP though, but is coming.
Metalballs are out of the question though, Krakatoa was designed to be a volumetric point renderer.
__________________
Bobo
 
Old 01-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #38
bealobo
burninating the city
 
bealobo's Avatar
portfolio
Beatriz Lorenzo
VFX TD
Los Angeles, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
But I am pretty confident there will be a trial version from the beginning.

weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
As for shading, we are rendering points, but that does not mean we couldn't shade surfaces of volumes. This is till a WIP though, but is coming.


I guess for some scenes using volumetric points will do as fluids, like really turbulent fluids with sprite and so.

Thank you for the prompt reply!
I'll keep watching this thread with a lot of interest.
__________________
www.bealobo.com
 
Old 01-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #39
Bobo
Krakatoa Guy
 
Bobo's Avatar
Borislav Petrov
Product Specialist
Thinkbox Software
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bealobo
I guess for some scenes using volumetric points will do as fluids, like really turbulent fluids with sprite and so.


Normally, we mesh the surface of our fluids, since this is much more efficient for large volumes. But then there is the problem of water drops becoming smaller than the voxel resolution. In that case, a mixed approach combining "the best of both worlds" seems logical. In other words, we use particles for natural phenomena that are particle-based in real life - like smoke, silt, sand, small waterdrops etc. Creating an ocean simulation with particles would be highly inefficient
And then there are the non-natural phenomena like pixie dust and general magic - the additive density mode in Krakatoa is great for those
__________________
Bobo
 
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #40
pekko
FX Animator
 
pekko's Avatar
Timo-Pekko Nieminen
Finland
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 58
Shadows

How are the shadows rendered in Krakatoa? With that amount of particles I guess there is no shadow rays casted from each particle? Are the particles sampled in some voxelgrid for shading?
 
Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #41
Bobo
Krakatoa Guy
 
Bobo's Avatar
Borislav Petrov
Product Specialist
Thinkbox Software
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekko
How are the shadows rendered in Krakatoa? With that amount of particles I guess there is no shadow rays casted from each particle? Are the particles sampled in some voxelgrid for shading?


It renders a depth map from the point of view of the light. It is VERY fast and similar to the way the final rendering is performed, but instead of RGB, it creates a shadow map. Not unlike the way Scanline does shadow maps.
__________________
Bobo
 
Old 01-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #42
pekko
FX Animator
 
pekko's Avatar
Timo-Pekko Nieminen
Finland
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 58
Quote:
It renders a depth map from the point of view of the light.



Thanks.

Can you descripe how one particle ends up rendered in the screen in more detail. Rays are casted from the camera? Particle bounding box is checked first?.....

i wanna do it myself Very inspiring
 
Old 01-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #43
Bobo
Krakatoa Guy
 
Bobo's Avatar
Borislav Petrov
Product Specialist
Thinkbox Software
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekko
Thanks.

Can you descripe how one particle ends up rendered in the screen in more detail. Rays are casted from the camera? Particle bounding box is checked first?.....

i wanna do it myself Very inspiring


Dude, Krakatoa is going to be a commercial product. I think we should keep a couple of things for ourselves

For a simple point renderer, check out the vertex renderer example in the MAXScript Reference. Many people have used that code to do (slow and simple) additive point renderers.
__________________
Bobo
 
Old 01-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #44
pekko
FX Animator
 
pekko's Avatar
Timo-Pekko Nieminen
Finland
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 58
Quote:
Dude, Krakatoa is going to be a commercial product. I think we should keep a couple of things for ourselves


i understand. i just wanted to see how much detailed information you were willing share. Next i would have been asking for source code

This kind of thing has been my intrest because i have been coding standalone particle renderer based on ILM's paper smoke rendering for large scale phenomenon. Just curious that how close your approach is to theirs.
 
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #45
Bobo
Krakatoa Guy
 
Bobo's Avatar
Borislav Petrov
Product Specialist
Thinkbox Software
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekko
Next i would have been asking for source code


Funny, we give away half of the source code
(just the GUI side of things though, a mid-sized MAXScript file)
__________________
Bobo
 
reply share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.