Krakatoa

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2007   #16
Hahah, well, that's about it for the disintegration challenge...

This is really turning out to be a serious particle player - looking forward to it!

Old 01 January 2007   #17
That volumetric render looks seriously useful especially if you need to do tidal wave type renders - Particle count is somethign that always catches me for these effects...

Old 01 January 2007   #18
Getting some very interesting results using fume to simulate movement. P flow to follow the fume movement, and Krakatoa to render it .

Fun stuff.

very cool tool!

I think we are going to see a nice jump in quality of what we can accomplish.

yay fun new tools!

Old 01 January 2007   #19
Originally Posted by joconnell: That volumetric render looks seriously useful especially if you need to do tidal wave type renders - Particle count is somethign that always catches me for these effects...

In-house, we use Krakatoa mainly for things that are physically made of particles anyway - like smoke, dust, debris of exploding stars, silt, water droplets and white caps on waves and so on. The exception were the additve effects that started it all thanks to Doc. Baily's Spore. For massive amounts of water, we use FOOD, with particles used mainly as enhancement.
For "Cursed", we used FLOOD to simulate the air flow and its interaction with the actors and emitted smoke particles that were affected by the simulation.
http://www.exocortex.org/siggraph/BattyHouston2005_VisualSimulationOfWispySmoke.pdf
For "Superman Returns", once again we simulated the water flow with FLOOD and added particles underwater for silt and on the surface for droplets (about a billion of them in the pier shot where the waves start hitting Metropolis). In the Red Sun explosion, there were 700 million (I am sure Allan McKay mentioned that in the main PFlow thread).

That being said, it is up to you to find new creative ways to use the tool! We have a long list of things we would love to add post 1.0 release and we hope to get enough feedback and ideas from our users to let them do any magic they want. The next beta build 0.9.5 is so much better than the current one I just cannot wait to see what 2.0 will look like!

Old 01 January 2007   #20
Bobo, its been said already but, your such an amazing guy! for sure!!

Old 01 January 2007   #21
Originally Posted by 4th-Child: Bobo, its been said already but, your such an amazing guy! for sure!!

Me? Thanks, but no.
The real amazing guys are Mark Wiebe, the Frantic Software lead and "father" of Krakatoa, and all the other RnD programmers involved in our software projects. (let me also mention Darcy Harrison who did some great work on Krakatoa the last couple of months and David Marks who moved from managing 3ds Max Beta Testing to managing Frantic Software Beta Testing )
I just help where I can (mostly on the scripting and User Interface design side).
In this thread I am only bringing you the "good news", but I did not create this amazing tool, although I cannot wait to go to work every day to get involved in its development and testing!

Old 01 January 2007   #22
Excellent write-up on Krakatoa, Bobo. Do you mind if I republish it at the Orbaz forum?

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Old 01 January 2007   #23
Originally Posted by OlegB: Excellent write-up on Krakatoa, Bobo. Do you mind if I republish it at the Orbaz forum?

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Thanks, Oleg!
No, I don't mind - the more, the merrier!

Old 01 January 2007   #24
Originally Posted by Bobo: Glad you like the times
one could save the Teapot vertices to a PRT file and load them in PFlow as the source, then animate using regular PFlow operators...

Hello Bobo,

would u mind explaining how thats done in Krakatoa?

no luck in getting it to work so far

cheers

Old 01 January 2007   #25
Originally Posted by superhypersam: Hello Bobo,

would u mind explaining how thats done in Krakatoa?

no luck in getting it to work so far

cheers

Keep in mind I am working with the upcoming 0.9.5 build, so things might have changed a bit since 0.9.4.

There are two operators that can be used in Particle Flow to load Krakatoa PRT Files: Krakatoa File Birth and Krakatoa File Position.

*Let's say you have created a teapot in the scene, bumped up segments to 64, saved a single PRT file containing all its vertices as particles.
*Now you want to use these particles as source in a PFlow and apply your own speed, forces, shapes, whatever.
*You create a default PFlow
*Replace the Birth operator with Krakatoa File Birth
*Pick the file you just saved
You should see PART of the teapot appear as particles on the Emit Time (default is frame 0). This is because a default PFlow is set to 50% Viewport percentage and 100K particles, but we have 131330 particles to load.
*You can check the "Evenly distribute loading" option and the 50% particles will be loaded evenly from the file, thus showing a full teapot. Otherwise, you would see the first N particles instead.
*You can, of course, also go to the PFlow Emitter and set Viewport to 100% and System Limit to 1,000,000 to allow for all particles to be loaded from the file.
*Optionally, you can also link the particles to a scene node to inherit its TM, thus you can translate, rotate and scale the particles at birth without additional operators.

Now you can use these particles as any other particles in PFlow, including applying forces, calculating collisions etc. We only used the initial particle cloud as the source in a Birth operator.

The other case is using actual particle motion (position and velocity) from a PRT file in a Particle Flow. Here is a typical case:

*Let's say you have saved a whole PFlow animation to disk already, or the PRT files come from another source (at Frantic, this would be FLOOD, but the two operators support Realflow BIN files and Gelato SDB files, too).
*In a simple test, create 131K particles falling down using a default PFlow and save to disk as 100 frames sequence.
*Now create a new flow to load this animation into.
*You can create particles using any Birth operator you like, including Krakatoa Birth, but you don't have to. Let's say you have loaded your saved Teapot PRT file from the previous example, but want to apply the motion from the default falling particles to it.
*Disable all the Speed, Rotation etc. operators except for the Display.
*Replace the default Position operator with the Krakatoa File Position operator.
*Pick a file from the PRT SEQUENCE to use as the position / velocity source.

Now you have the following options:
*You can enable "Position Effect Per Frame". This will load the positions from the file and assign them to the particles. The default Effect value is 1.0 which means that the position will be enforced on the particles, thus the teapot particles will appear as the rectangular stream of falling particles saved in the PRT sequence. If you reduce the effect value against zero, the effect will be less and less and your particles will turn more and more into a teapot-shaped cloud, at 0 there will be no effect at all and you will be back to a teapot.

*You can enable the "Velocity Effect Per Frame" in addition to the above - this will set the speed channel of the particles to the velocity value stored in the PRT file. At 1.0 effect value, your teapot particles will be both shaped AND moving like the rectangular stream of falling particles written to the PRT sequence. With less than 1.0, the velocity loaded will be scaled down until at 0 the particles will not move at all. Note that you can set the Display operator to LINES to show the magnitude of the speed vectors, then play with the effect value to see its influence.

*If you enable only velocity loading but no position loading, your teapot will appear as it was created by the Krakatoa File Birth operator, but its particles will move down like the particle stream, because their speed values will be set to those in the PRT sequence!

*You can apply ADDITIONAL speed-affecting operators like Forces etc. to alter the saved motion. For example, in Superman Returns we simulated some underwater particulate matter motion in FLOOD, then loaded in PFlow via these operators and applied an additional drift to the side using a simple Wind Force which we could adjust in realtime in the viewport ON TOP of the fluid simulated motion...

*Since the Krakatoa File Position operator also has a Bind To Node option, you can animate any scene object and then apply its motion to the particles by picking it in the operator! This gives you yet another way to animate your particles on top of the saved sequence positions.

In general, if you want to affect the particles with your own forces and even do collision tests etc, you might want to load the initial positions with the Krakatoa File Birth, then apply ONLY the Velocities per frame without enforcing positions from the sequence to allow the particles to move freely under force influence and deflector bouncing etc., while still inheriting the original velocities stored in the file.

Once again, I just did everything I described in 0.9.5 and it worked as expected. If it does not behave like this in 0.9.4, it might be some bug that got fixed in the mean time. The new build is coming soon anyway...

Last edited by Bobo : 01 January 2007 at 09:05 PM.

Old 01 January 2007   #26
Thats awesome Bobo! tones of info here!!

Hope ya well mate!

-AM

http://www.allanmckay.com/
http://www.fumefxtraining.com

Old 01 January 2007   #27
Originally Posted by amckay: Thats awesome Bobo! tones of info here!!

Hope ya well mate!

-AM

Thanks dude, Happy New Year!

I know you worked with the stand-alone version of Krakatoa on SR, I bet you will not recognize the next beta we are cooking now - it feels like a quantum leap both featurewise and when it comes to UI organization. And since we are not keeping it under NDA or anything, I really felt compelled to spread the word. I haven't even mentioned some of the coolest things we added in the last few weeks

Old 01 January 2007   #28
Quote: I really felt compelled to spread the word. I haven't even mentioned some of the coolest things we added in the last few weeks

Do tell, then... Since it isn't under NDA...

We are all trying to scrape our jaws off the floor from what you have already told us...

Old 01 January 2007   #29
There's even more? You are starting to defy my imagination It seems that finally, the possibility comes to create really naturalistic particle scenes (huge amounts of particles, forming entities). Frankly, I wasn't hoping this could come so soon! I am living in a happy time

Old 01 January 2007   #30
Thx for the explanation, will get to testing that!

reply share thread