Mummy effect help, please!!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Mummy effect help, please!!!

Hi to all, can someone give me a tip or a quick guide about how to make the sand wall with a large sand storm and the face of Imotep in it? You know, the one that is trying to attack the plane.

thnks!

11 November 2006
Well, you know effects like that are done in million dollar VFX companies, right? So I guess a quick guide will be a bit too much to ask for. Tips though, we can give you

I guess you'll have to use a lot (like: a LOT) of particles to simulate the sand effect.
As for the face in the storm effect, I wouldn't know a way without the lock & bond operator in the PFlow toolbox by Orbaz.

Last edited by Neejoh : 11 November 2006 at 06:40 PM.

11 November 2006
mmm... well thnks for the reply, but at least someone know how can i make the wave with pflow?

11 November 2006
Check the 2-disc Mummy DVD, there's something (albeit not in-depth enough for CG geeks) about that effect.

I don't remember a lot about what they say, but two things I can tell you need:
  1. A wall of dust particles
  2. A 3D model of the face, doing whatever animation you want it to
The 3D face itself should be non-renderable, but should somehow affect the sand particles, either by colliding with the particles, or by being an emitter. Technically I guess the collision option is the most correct, but it is also very time-consuming to calculate many particle's colission with a poly object, so maybe the easy way it to have it be an emitter.

Cheers,
- Jonas

11 November 2006
Just a quick idea:
you could build an object that's animated to give it a nice wave motion and displace it with an animated z-depth sequence of a face and then in pflow fill the whole thing with particles.
I never tried that, but as far as I remember they did something with displacement and z-depth.

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by HannesJ: Just a quick idea:
you could build an object that's animated to give it a nice wave motion and displace it with an animated z-depth sequence of a face and then in pflow fill the whole thing with particles.
I never tried that, but as far as I remember they did something with displacement and z-depth.

I'm with you there. Model your face thingy fairly high rez or max it out till your PC chokes since i'm not sure what kind of project (film/game) and put a black in the translucent channel of the mat add some noise (fractal probably) in a gradient (128 each channel) of the displacement mat channel. then fill with Pflow. (Could also use an animated AVI in a mesh displace in your stack but that's another render.) Keyframe your noise on the gradient noise and render for 4 days and it should look cool.

Then post it here when done.

11 November 2006
Thnks for the help, I will give it a try.

In the meanwhile, what about this scene for the animation?

11 November 2006
That looks great! Use that.

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by darkdreams: Thnks for the help, I will give it a try.

In the meanwhile, what about this scene for the animation?

Might want to render it out without the background and apply the background in post. There's quite a bit of contrast, shadows and highlights, in the photo. You might want to research a sandstorm and go with something with less contrast. Like something like this...

http://barenada.com/show_image.shtm...entry=sandstorm

but something like this....

http://www.news2wkrn.com/weather/ar...torm_in_ir.html

would probably be closer to the effect you're looking for.

That was just a quick advanced image search I did using dogpile for sandstorms. If you add the background in post in something like Director (or flash) you can pan/zoom the background and better could get a vid clip and greenscreen with that better yet. Here's a quick tute for combustion. http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002...creet_keyer.htm
If you decide to go that route.

11 November 2006
wow!!! the pics are great thnks!!!
Maybe I'll try that route

11 November 2006
The Displace Space Warp works with particles. Use it to additively push and pull the particle volume.

11 November 2006
Wow, Mr. BrandonD, thnks!!

I wonder if that can b made it in afterburn?

11 November 2006
The shape of a head in ABurn? I don't that would be wise because it's just placing volume primitives at particle transforms. You'd need a large quantity of small spherical volumes and it wouldn't look all that good. Then again, shading a huge amount of particles with the 2.5D Octane shader would be faster than rendering the same quantity of small facing geometry.

11 November 2006
mmm... I c, bad idea

Thread Closed share thread