How does smoke rendering (like DD's Storm) work?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2006   #16
Hey Brandon,

XXX Avalanche - Max / Afterburn.. hooooooow

I am trying to pull together some nature effects for a clients logo.. clouds, explosions etc etc, I have tried an avalanche but it comes off look quite poxy.

I made a pflow scene that had wisps of particles comeing from the logo like snow blowing off the top of a mound (like in Day After..) and then an avalanche to come down behind and swamp the logo.. can't get it looking convincing.

Any tips, samples, links would be really helpful here.

Cheers.

Old 09 September 2006   #17
post what you've got so far so we can add some suggestions based on what we see or don't see. The way I would go about it is probably where you're already at, but you probably just need to tweak the afterburn settings / particle counts.

Old 09 September 2006   #18
XXX's avalanche used volume rendering technology not unlike Afterburn. Not long afterward, during Day After Tomorrow its capabilities expanded and now, several years later, it's been rewritten and expanded well beyond the original capabilities. Now with that said, there's certain very Houdini specific things that made that avalanche possible that would be difficult to replicate in MAX with PFlow and ABurn.

Old 09 September 2006   #19
What I have at the moment is a particle system that emits 20 particles that reference a group of 'rocks' I have set up. From that I collision spawn some particles that I have an AB node in and I am trying to get that dusty, snowy, cloudy sort of look that would come from the rocks / things as they are rolling down the hill. I tried to base it on smoke but it comes off looking not 'thick enough' as to what I am trying to achieve based on the way snow looks when being blown around.. again I am trying to use 'the day after..' shots as there are shots (even from the trailer) where you see snow blowing off objects... THAT is what I am trying to hit.

Old 01 January 2007   #20
Guys, thanks for all the great help regarding volumetric rendering theory! Here's what I came up with, using Max without plugins:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=154&t=450662

Cheers,
- Jonas

Last edited by jussing : 01 January 2007 at 12:01 PM.

Old 01 January 2007   #21
Wohoo i didn't knew this topic regarding D2 commericals already going on. I was asking same topic regarding rgb passes at Afterburn forum. Great amount of information regarding all the stuff
Thanks everybody for sharing such a useful knowlege.

Old 11 November 2007   #22
Hey all,

sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to post the fruit of all that insight you helpful people posted here. I created a tut with what I believe is the best way to fake alle this volumetric hullaballo without plugins:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=96&t=553628

- Jonas

Old 11 November 2007   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread