Water material

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #16
Hi,

yeah it takes longer, but it's liveable with. The main drawback is it uses more memory.

You can use Mental Rays 3D motion blur as well, but that seems to have problems with memory as well if you have a lot of particles.

Cheers

Steve

Old 07 July 2006   #17
how complex is your shader? Maybe its not too difficult to write in RSL and have renderman do the water pass. It has very nice motion blur at no performance hit.

BTW, it looks very nice!

Old 07 July 2006   #18
Thanks,

it's pretty simple - it justs the translucency shader in the standard material (even though it is designed more for flat objects) and has a bit of a bump map and high specularity. Nothing complex.

Cheers

Steve

Old 08 August 2006   #19
Hey Steve,

Any chance in sharing your file? I've been having a play recreating what you've done, it looks ok, but the material still needs work and your water seems more "fluid" - tho i've only got object motion blur, not image on so far.

Cheers for starting the thread on this

Old 08 August 2006   #20
Hi,

honestly there's nothing to it - it just uses the translucent shader in a standard material, so the main diffuse is bluey-white, the translucent colour is a dark greenish/blur and it has a high specular (>100).

Do you have the translucent shader on? You have to have it backlit to some extent to get the translucent effect.

If you still have no luck, I'll dig out the file.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 08 August 2006   #21
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Hi,

honestly there's nothing to it - it just uses the translucent shader in a standard material, so the main diffuse is bluey-white, the translucent colour is a dark greenish/blur and it has a high specular (>100).

Do you have the translucent shader on? You have to have it backlit to some extent to get the translucent effect.

If you still have no luck, I'll dig out the file.

Cheers,

Steve

Just looking again, that may be the problem - i could only get the translucency (lume) shader by selecting incompatible (then tried a quick render with MR which looked ok but obviously no Object MB) - rendering with scanline was all black with this shader so i bobbed an omni in and it renders ok..... im guessing im not using the translucent shader appropriately?

Old 08 August 2006   #22
Hi,

I wasn't using any mental ray-ness, in scanline there is an option where you can select the shader type, Blinn, Metal, Anisotropic etc. there is a translucency shader in that.

It's designed for flat translucency like leaves, but it seems to work OK with particles as well.

So I was just using standard scanline, object motion blur and a standard material with translucency shader turned on. (and a smidge of John Burnett's render effect motion blur which you can get at www.maxplugins.de)

Cheers,

Steve

Old 08 August 2006   #23
Lightbulb

Ahhhhhhhh *ding!* - my bad I took the translucency to mean another method - will try re-rendering

Old 08 August 2006   #24
Getting there slowly - i need to tweak it further though

The main problem at the moment seems to be to do with the motion blur. Here's what i have so far:

http://media.putfile.com/h2o-34

If you pause the avi part way through you can see that the droplets are quite heavily 'streaked' See attachment:

I've tried altering the OMB settings somewhat with no better results? Maybe my gravity is too strong causing them to move to quickly? Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg streak.jpg (64.2 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by BBR-RB : 08 August 2006 at 03:02 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #25
Hi,

I normally reduce the default shutter speed from .5 to around .3.

Also with OMB there are 2 settings (I'm not in front of Max at the moment), but if you lower the setting on the left so it is less than the one on the right, it will make the OMB more grainy/noisy. This looks a bit more natural than obvious steps from the samples used, and can get smoothed off by the render effect motion blur.

- Steve

Old 08 August 2006   #26
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Hi,

I normally reduce the default shutter speed from .5 to around .3.

Also with OMB there are 2 settings (I'm not in front of Max at the moment), but if you lower the setting on the left so it is less than the one on the right, it will make the OMB more grainy/noisy. This looks a bit more natural than obvious steps from the samples used, and can get smoothed off by the render effect motion blur.

- Steve

Wow, speedy reply!

I'm just playing with it now, I agree the grainy look does look better but it still suffers from the streaking. Playing yours back to back with mine, yours looks more like discreet droplets . I've got the plugin that you used, thanks for the pointer. I have to use tiny amount of it tho otherwise it further blurs the streaking.

Just reduced the duration(frames) - im guessing thats what you mean by shutter speed? Certainly seems to help. I'll re-render the anim

Did you animate the speed to get the bursts of water that occurs?

Old 08 August 2006   #27
Hi,

I just put a noise controller on the speed value.

You may want to try reducing the gravity, or maybe using a drag warp to slow things down. I think that combined with a smaller shutter speed will help reduced streaking.

Also make sure that your rotation is set 1 frame, to get the blobby look on slower particles.

- Steve

Old 08 August 2006   #28
Great water material, Steve, thanks for sharing! Very inspirational.
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Also make sure that your rotation is set 1 frame, to get the blobby look on slower particles.

By that, do you mean that the particles will spin a full 360 in 1 frame? Is this to hide the fact that it is a cube?

Cheers,
- Jonas

Old 08 August 2006   #29
Hi,

yep, exactly - it basically makes it look a bit more spherical/blobby.

Cheers

Steve

Old 08 August 2006   #30
Hi Steve,

I've had a play and this is about as good as I've got it:

http://media.putfile.com/h2o-70

Still not as good as yours, but not too bad

If you get chance i'd love to see your origional file

Thread Closed share thread